Garmin GPS Owners: New Maps

LER

Supporter / Pub Member / Server Weenie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2003
Round Rock, TX US
the 2011.10 maps were released yesterday. Available for Lifetime subs, and purchase as one-time's.

They also added Mexico into the North America set. (need an additional 80-90 meg, you may want to clear off voices you'll never use to get the space).

Gee... How many HOURS will this take to download, unpack (without cooruptions) and download to the unit by USB. I usually start mine in the morning before work, click on sections to keep it moving when I get home and then have it download to the unit when I go to bed.

Wish they had a quicker way to do this for Lifetime subs!

Took me about an hour on my Nuvi 1690 and 2 hours on my 2720.

The file is 2.5GB, and then copying it over the USB interface.

The download manager makes it reasonable.

It also, obviously, depends on the speed of your internet connection.

My 1690 seems to have a USB 2 interface, and it took about 1/2 hour start to finish. The 2720 took about 1.25 hours.

I wonder if I am doing something wrong because mine takes a LONG time and I have comcrap cable as my internet provider so it shouldn't be my internet provider. Not sure if it matters but I have one of the first Nuvi's the 350. Have had it a long time and it still works fine. Not sure if that matters.

what speed is your internet connection? I do know that Garmin uses the Akamai cdn so the file should be coming from someplace reasonably close (net wise) to you. Do you use the downloader or just try to pull the file without the downloader? The downloader makes it use 4 or so streams and gets the 2.5(or so)GB file faster.

What seems to take the time the actual download, or the transfer to the GPS?

I may need to check my network speed on my computer when I get home. Now I am wondering.

I sign on to my account and use the downloader, that takes about an 1 to 2 hours and then USB to the Nuvi 350 takes a long time(might be USB 1.1). The downloader seems to hang on Vista so I have to use my old XP machine to get the file to download. This old machine could be the issue also.

Will have to time it this time because I have not updated for this latest update that just came out.

Will let you know.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)