Garmin nuvi 780 died...

riffjim4069

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 7, 2004
SatelliteGuystonfieldville, U.S.A.
It's the best Garmin I have owned to date. It didn't really die, but I had the unit for just ove a year and noticed the nuvi wasn't charging. I unplugged the power cord from the mounting base and reconnected it, but they itty-bitty mini power receptacle popped-out and it appeared to have broken the soldered connections. I wasn't happy! I love this model Garmin and I can't find another one. Plus, I recently paid to update the map and have a paid subscription to MSN Direct until they go out-of-business next year. Ugh!

Anyway, I took it back to Costco (love that place) and they refunded my purchase price. The problem is now I have to find replacement. Any suggestions? I've always been partial to the Garmin models. I didn't like Tom-Tom at all, and had a Magellan Maestro years ago which was OK. I looked around Costco and I am considering the following models:

- Magellan RoadMate 5120-LMTX $129.99 after instant rebate. It's got a 5" touch screen and free lifetime maps/traffic. However, I hear Magellan switched-over to using Tele Atlas vice NAVTEC maps. Is this a problem?

- Garmin nuvi $169.99 after instant rebate. 5" touch screen with free lifetime maps/traffic. I'm very tempted to give the Magellan a try since the I was not impressed with the build-quality fo the 780. Seriously, the Garmin is adult owned and just sits mounted to the dashboard. I still can't believe the power adapted would rip away from the unit.

Jim,
I have been using the Garmin 1490T and like it very well.
It's slightly larger (5" screen).
Works well.
Blue tooth for in the car, I use it as my Hands Free when using the phone in the car, only problem with it is it never reads the phones Phone Book as it should, Garmin said it could come in an Update, but chances are, they are not going to try and keep up with all the new phones coming out. So if you have a phone that is older than it, it may work.
I just use the phone to make the call and the bluetooth takes over from there.

I've have very good luck with it.

I originally paid $ 229 for it at Costco, BB down the street had the same one for $ 299.
Last I looked (last week) Costco had it for $ 139 I think I saw it, but it changes often, up and down price wise there.

I didn't see it listed on thier website, but you can find out more info from the Garmin site.

Oops! The Garmin I mentioned was a model 1490T. I love everything about Garmin, but I must admit that I don't use many of the features these days. However, they always seem to get the job done better than the others. Having said that...I picked up the Magellan Roadmate. If I don't like it, I'll return it. I haven't used it too much and have had mixed results (not happy with rerouting). I'll give it a better trail the next few weeks. We shall see...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)