Gateway Reduces Price of Award-Winning 21-Inch High-Definition Widescreen LCD to $499

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
Gateway Reduces Price of Award-Winning 21-Inch High-Definition Widescreen LCD to $499
Friday June 30, 8:00 am ET Widely Hailed Widescreen Display, the Gateway(R) FPD2185W, Is Now Available to Professionals and Consumers at an Industry-Leading Price
IRVINE, Calif., June 30 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Gateway, Inc. today announced that the Gateway® FPD2185W 21-inch display -- the flagship product in the company's expanding line of High-Definition Widescreen LCD flat-panel displays -- is now available at a price of just $499.99, reduced from $599.99.

The Gateway® FPD2185W 21-inch High-Definition Widescreen LCD delivers a spectacular high-definition viewing experience, enhancing both productivity and entertainment applications. The display delivers powerful technologies that further boost the system's high-definition display qualities, including High-Bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP) support. The HDCP video content encryption chip is required for viewing high-definition content if the attached PC is running Microsoft Windows Vista. HDCP support also makes the LCD compatible with next-generation DVD formats as well as cable and satellite high-definition video services.
According to Display Search's Q4 2005 market analysis, the Gateway 21-inch HD Widescreen LCD was the best-selling 21-inch Widescreen display worldwide, with more than 51 percent market share.
"The success of the Gateway 21-inch HD Widescreen LCD is testament to the innovation, first-rate performance and abundant features of the product," said William Diehl, vice president of product marketing, Gateway. "It has been praised by industry experts and customers alike, and now even more computer users can experience enhanced viewing at work and home thanks to the display's very affordable price." The Gateway FPD2185W 21-inch HD Widescreen Display is available direct from Gateway now by calling 1-800-GATEWAY or online at www.gateway.com. The display is also at leading electronics and technology retailers in the U.S. and abroad for a manufacturer's suggested price of $499.99.

One question if anyone knows this set: Does it scale to it's native resolution? I need a TV this side for my HT so I can view TV when I don't wish to use my PJ. I will be sitting pretty much right next to it so the size is just right. I tried a Westinghouse and when I connected my HD STB's to it, they got stretched to the resolution of the TV, it did not scale and it looked awful. The only way I could get a decent picture was by matching my PC resolution to that of the display, then it looked quite good.

Thanks.

DarrellP said:
One question if anyone knows this set: Does it scale to it's native resolution? Thanks.
:up I just answered my own question. I went to Best Buy to buy a new PC yesterday and ended up getting this monitor. It is awesome! It has a Faroudja proscessor built in and has an awesome picture. I can now monitor all of my devices, using the 921 in HD and using the PIP window for my Panny DVR. I connected my old Voom box to the DVI input, my PC to the VGA, component to my 921 and S-Video to the Panny DVR/DVD recorder. I'm in heaven, the picture is fabulous. It has a convenient Input button on the side to toggle through the different inputs. I haven't calibrated it yet, but I can see the potential in this thing. :D

DarrellP said:
:up I just answered my own question. I went to Best Buy to buy a new PC yesterday and ended up getting this monitor. It is awesome! It has a Faroudja proscessor built in and has an awesome picture. I can now monitor all of my devices, using the 921 in HD and using the PIP window for my Panny DVR. I connected my old Voom box to the DVI input, my PC to the VGA, component to my 921 and S-Video to the Panny DVR/DVD recorder. I'm in heaven, the picture is fabulous. It has a convenient Input button on the side to toggle through the different inputs. I haven't calibrated it yet, but I can see the potential in this thing. :D

Darrellp,

what is the native rez of the display? What inputs does it have? DVI? HDMI? Flag Compliant?

Sean Mota said:
Darrellp,

what is the native rez of the display? What inputs does it have? DVI? HDMI? Flag Compliant?

Native rez: 1680x1050
Inputs:
Analog VGA: 15 Pin VGA
Digital (DVI-D); Supports 480i, 480P, 720P & 1080i.
Includes HDCP
Composite
S-Video
Component
USB 2.0 inputs: 2
USB 2.0 Outputs: 4

I am extremely impressed with this unit. I watch it from about 4-6 feet away and when watching HD, it looks 3D. Programs that have text or graphics on the screen look like they are lifting off the background. Colors are awesome, but it is typical of LCD and lacks the deep blacks and it is lacking in the brightness department. On my setup disc, I cannot even see the light bars that are supposed to fade out during adjustment, they just do not appear. This is very evident when watching black and white or dark scenes, but it does not bother me as the overall appearance is fantastic.

The menu has quite an array of adjustments so you have lots of flexibility in fine tuning the viewing environment. I chose 1:1 mapping so everything displays properly. The Faroudja scaler is awesome! When I watch my Panny DVR through Composite, I almost swear I am watching HD. True HD looks incredible on this monitor. I also run my laptop through it but my laptop cannot match the resolution of the monitor so I have to either view it stretched or with black bars on the sides.

For the price, it is well worth the money, I would highly recommend it. You guys know how picky I am when it comes to PQ and I Love this thing. :up

Last edited:
If it was for serious TV watching, I would not buy it, but it is just sitting off to the side of my home theater to have on for occassional viewing so I don't have to burn the bulb in my PJ. I hardly ever watch TV anymore so it's a waste to buy a big expensive set or to watch my PJ so this is just perfect for my current viewing. For an LCD at that price point, I am quite pleased with it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)