gbox or vbox for dish deal

Status
Please reply by conversation.

outbackjack

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 8, 2006
maine
now that the 6 foot dish deal is in the process of being assembled what is the preference for the 24 inch powermax a gbox or vbox? i've been trying to find which one is the best choice or are they equal. thanks guys for any help

Gbox all the way. I don't know very many unhappy Gbox owners, I know a LOT of unhappy vbox owners... :)

Gbox all the way. I don't know very many unhappy Gbox owners, I know a LOT of unhappy vbox owners... :)

For those of us that have not used either could you list any specific things
you like/dislike about either rather than making a blanket vague meaningless statement?

I'd really like to know what makes them different, how one may be better than the other.

Thanks
FS

you like/dislike about either rather than making a blanket vague meaningless statement?

I'd really like to know what makes them different, how one may be better than the other.

Thanks
FS

there are so many vboxes that its hard to accurately compare. but in general the gbox has 99 position memory while vboxes have 60 (some do have 99 tho). the gbox also seems to count both reed switch events (opened and closed) meaning it is twice as accurate as the vboxes. other than that the differences seem to be cosmetic.

crackt out,.

My new version V-box X (v10) has not skipped a beat and has 99 positions as well. Maybe the newer versions are better? I'm not sure how much more I should expect from a positioner but it moves where I tell it every time and always goes to the right place.

My new version V-box X (v10) has not skipped a beat and has 99 positions as well. Maybe the newer versions are better? I'm not sure how much more I should expect from a positioner but it moves where I tell it every time and always goes to the right place.

I also have the same box as Jaray and havent had any problems with it.

whats your average counts / degree ? i was gonna test a vbox 10 but havent quite got used to the flying saucer look of it. since i use more than one it would be nice to be able to stack them.

crackt out,.

i ordered the gbox from sadoun. but my question is about counts. do you need to figure out the counts to get to each sat say 91 to 99. if so how do you determine the counts by trial and error? im confused

I figured that 1 count is 1/10 of a degree!so 1 degree is about 10 counts.

ok. my gbox is about 20 counts / degree. this is with a 24 inch von weise 8 magnet actuator. so im assuming the vbox 10 is the same as the other vboxes and the gbox has double the counts.

i ordered the gbox from sadoun. but my question is about counts. do you need to figure out the counts to get to each sat say 91 to 99. if so how do you determine the counts by trial and error? im confused

you dont need to worry about counts. simply use the positioner remote to move the dish. save the position with either the positioner or reciever and the next time the reciever wants that position it will simply move on its on. if configured with diseqc 1.2.

crackt out,.

I have a Gbox3000 but its not working! Not the fault of the box! When my first actuator failed it somehow caused my gbox to do strange things.The G box has 60 prestored satellites in it from 15w to148w which may make life easier for you.You can also store up to a 6 letter name on each stored position which is nice.20 counts per degree vs 10 on a v box should make it easier to lock onto those DVB-s2 signals.

To be honest I don't know, it just works. I didn't concern myself with those details. I needed a positioner, had 2 options and picked one. I could have asked 10 different people and got 10 different responses :)
It is an ugly little box though... hehe

whats your average counts / degree ? i was gonna test a vbox 10 but havent quite got used to the flying saucer look of it. since i use more than one it would be nice to be able to stack them.

crackt out,.

do you need to figure out the counts to get to each sat say 91 to 99.
No.

Just a thought. I think - The number of counts is determined by the actuator. The number of magnets, and how many times a magnet passes the reed sw to extend/retract it an inch.
The number of counts per degree of dish movement would be determined by the geometry of the mount/actuator and the above. The V/Gbox only counts the pulses.
You then store that number into memory, recalled by the receiver(disqc command) when you want to move to that sat.

Last edited:

Thanks
FS

I started with a v-box 10 (or X if you prefer) (got it from WSI) and right away i had 2 of the plastic tabs that hold the wires in on the motor and sensor area pop out along with the springs. the springs fell on the floor and since they are small they were very hard to find. i thought ok maybe the wire gauge was too big but it happened on small 24awg sensor wires too. needless to say i was less than impressed with the build quality. even taking it apart and trying to secure the tabs in a better fashion didn't work.

bought a g-box 3000 after looking at the motor and sensor area and have no bad issues to report. have used it for a couple of weeks now. i like the g-box's double count versus the vbox for accuracy.

I think and hope all the questions have been answered.
Again, I strongly recommend reading the review Linuxman did (posted at the top of this thread), as it does a comparison to the several Vboxes of the day.
The Vbox 10 is new, and we don't have a proper review of that, so if it has been improved over previous models, I don't have a clue.

On the subject of counts per degree, Linuxman covered that in his review, too.
AND, counts per degree is really only valid and linear for H-H mounts (which he has).
If you are using a jack/actuator, then the motion is not really linear across the sweep of the dish.
Of course, it's fine to give a representative count, say around your true south. - :cool:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts