GDMX,4:2:2, What kind of TV am I missing?

upnatm

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 22, 2009
North-East Lake Superior
Hi again everyone,

I'm curious as to what kind of TV programming is available on the GDMX feeds on 99W-G16.

I found a 2 year old thread here, that touched on the subject, but had no solid details other than
WB feeds with great daytime stuff that dwindled after becoming CW.

Are these feeds similar to the NBC MUX feeds on 72*W AMC-6, in that they go black
when it's time for local ads? And with no way of knowing what is on next?

Is there enough decent stuff on any of the 6 GDMX channels to warrant the purchase of
an HD AZBox or similar 4:2:2 decoder?

Another good question is; can any of that programming be found elsewhere on C or Ku band sats?

Thanks for taking the time to help me understand.

the easiest way to describe the GDMX channels is it mainly shows syndicated programming but at weird times. Syndicated programming is the daytime/late night shows that can be shown on different stations per market. Its not "oh this is a ABC show it has to be shown on there". These are usually early feeds so the networks can take the feed and insert their own commercials in it.

examples off the top of my head
the "trash" TV (as some folks call it) shows...Springer, Maury, Steve Wilcos
Those "news" magazine shows (Extra, TMZ, the other one escapes me right now)
Judge shows (People's Court, Judge Mathis, Judge Alex)
the E/I Stuff like Jack Hanna's animals
various other syndicated stuff (Brian McKnight show, Comics unleashed)
popular shows that are now in syndication (Friends, Seinfeld, Family Guy, 2 1/2 men)
some current shows (Ellen..Martha Stewart was until this year)
Last year there was some feeds sent to Canada of shows that were not HD (Biggest Loser as example) and sent early. Last year they were on at 11:30 CDT Tuesday and mainly cut commercials to 30 seconds total of black space so you could see the show that would be at 7:00 on NBC at 11:30 that morning and already know the results ;)

As i saw they are on oddball times or may be a couple days ahead. Maury, Springer and Steve are usually 3-4 days ahead (todays show will be shown on normal TV say Tuesday) and will be shown at maybe 10AM
The news shows are same day but shown a few hours beforehand. Example is TMZ. They are on at like 5:00PM on the GDMX feeds and 6:30PM on my distant Fox and 10:30PM on local Fox

There is no true schedule unless someone actually compiles it manually. But some shows you knew what channel it was on. Last year we had the "homewrecker" daytime on one of them
-Divorce Court at noon
-Maury at 1:00 (and at 9 that night too)

can any of that programming be found elsewhere on C or Ku band sats?
most of it is on your local affiliates

If your willing to spend the little extra, go with the premium plus, azbox.
I have the ultra and the premium and quite frankly I think the bit extra for the premium plus was well worth it.

Iceberg explained the GDMX channels right to the point, but there are other things the azbox can pick up that most other receivers won't on other satellites also.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)