Geico Caveman Gets Show

Well, I might be the only one on this board, but I love the Geico caveman commercials. I don't see how they're going to make a TV series out of it, however.
Tough to see the series lasting more than a few weeks.

You know, about 20 years ago I remember a bunch of people making fun of a concept of a TV series from a couple of 45 second crudely animated snippets on a comedy variety show on a brand new network. The original show died from lack of ratings before the "spin-off" no one ever though would last came on. That "stupid" series is still on the air as the longest running animated series and closing on the longest running single network series record.

Ay Caramba!

Anyway, the Geico caveman ad campaign is one of the most successful ad campains in history! This is in terms of popularity and, more importantly, brand recognition. It is one of the few ads people with DVRs will "rewind" to watch. So, it makes sense to try a TV show on this. It may fail miserably. But if two things happen, the show could be successful. 1) the show has to have a REAL story to tell. Something that can carry the show for more than one episode. And 2) the show has to be well-written.

Personally I don't think this show will last past the first 10 minutes, but I though that silly animated show wouldn't last more than a month either.

See ya
Tony

Or will it who knows....people watch anything anymore.

With a little makeover, this could be the show for Sanjaya to really make his mark :p

To me the show (which hasn't really been described at all) just seems to retro to fly today. Sure in the 80s and early 90s we had things like Alf, or even earlier, Mork and Mindy, but the idea just seems stale.

Then again, looking at the crap the networks are trying this summer --- anyone up for National Bingo Night??? :rolleyes:

I can understand where you are coming from but from a concept Idea this show is just a bad idea .

I would agree but sometimes what sounds like a ridiculous concept works. A sitcom about a POW camp does not sound that great but it was always one of my favorites.

With a little makeover, this could be the show for Sanjaya to really make his mark :p

To me the show (which hasn't really been described at all) just seems to retro to fly today. Sure in the 80s and early 90s we had things like Alf, or even earlier, Mork and Mindy, but the idea just seems stale.

Then again, looking at the crap the networks are trying this summer --- anyone up for National Bingo Night??? :rolleyes:

I agree totally that was my thought.:D

Usually a TV series made from something that was originally could, turns out to be cr*p that has nothing that was good as the original. (For example, someone once made a clever animated short feature that was a satire of Star Trek and Star Wars, as well as poking fun at a lot of PC ideas. SciFi then made it into a mediocre series that had none of the wit of the original, and to make matters worse, was PC instead of anti-PC. :( )

However, sometimes a TV series is made from something that was mediocre to begin with, and the cast & crew happen to be bright people who make an entertaining program.

So, this means that if you like the Geico Cavemen, then the series is going to be really bad. But, if you didn't like them, then it has a chance to be good. ;)

Just saw a 30 second promo for it on TVWeek; ABC is slated to run this on Tuesday evenings.

Looks totally stupid. Three guys with big beards making caveman jokes driving in a car.

AND the morons at ABC could have bought rights to The Class. Ughhh... No dvr timer for that! :rolleyes:

the only thing good about abc tuesday night is boston legal. i can't wait until the new season or as alan said to denny, ``i wonder what they have in store for us next.''

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)