General Instruments DSR-2200

Status
Please reply by conversation.

PopcornNMore

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
Gibsonia, PA
I discovered a website tonight that sells brand-new General Instruments digicipher DSR-2200 receivers for only $39.

Could this receiver be used to view FTA digicipher channels on X4?
Could this receiver be used to subscribe to digicipher channels?

when I googled it, the receiver looks like a Primestar Receiver which was just DCI encryption and wouldnt work on a DCII setup

edit: most of what I googled shows its a commercial receiver and was indeed DCI but "could" be upgraded to DCII'

Digital Satellite Receiver - Shall be General Instruments DSR-2200 Digicipher I with Digicipher II upgrade
http://www.firn.edu/fdln/ttfoper.htm
(scroll down 3/4 of the way)

It's similar to Primestar receivers that receive Digicipher I signals. There are only two Digicipher I muxes that I am aware of and the channels are encrypted. It will not receive the Digicipher II channels on X4 and you can't use it to subscribe to any services. Basically it is a $39 doorstop.

not new, but free

Not sure if this would help, but if you are looking...

I am cleaning out my basement and found three satellite receivers. One says it is a General Instrument DSR-2200 and the other two look somewhat like it, but don't have the DB37 and DB9 connectors on the back. If you want to pay shipping or pick them up, you can have them. There are remote controls to go with them. They were found in a stack with an old "Superdish" and three-LNB setup for Dish Network
I have no idea if they work or not. I could plug them in, but that is all I could test.

Chris
contact email address with spaces inserted: mail @ smartliving.org

I discovered a website tonight that sells brand-new General Instruments digicipher DSR-2200 receivers for only $39.

Could this receiver be used to view FTA digicipher channels on X4?
Could this receiver be used to subscribe to digicipher channels?

If your interested in DCII commercial receivers the DSR-4800/ digitrans 71xx line of receivers is the way to go as they will do most everything DCII as well as qpsk DVB and they're alot easier to use than most DCII receivers. The dsr-4402x will also supposedly do most DCII and some DVB, but I have no experience with those and don't know whether they're as easy to operate as the 4800s. Also be very careful of model numbers as the dsr-4400 and dsr-4400x are very different from the 4402x. So beware small differences in the model numbers can mean huge differences in capability.

Another thing to beware of with the Motorola 4800s/Digitrans 71xxs is that some models will only output an ASI stream, and therefore are useless unless you have an ASI PCI card in your computer. If you are getting the Digitrans, the 7150T is the one that has a tuner with standard outputs and will also tune 4:2:0 and 4:2:2 DVB. Stay clear of the 7150ASI. Not sure which Motorola equivalent has only ASI outputs, but just be sure to get a good look at the outputs on the back before you shell out $500 for a useless box :) These are broadcast-grade receivers meant for use in news vans, television studio control rooms, etc., and are highly specialized to fit in the system a certain way to perform a certain function.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)