Genie HR44 available in Atlanta? And Costco question.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

MJL Atlanta

Original poster
Sep 6, 2007
Hey guys. I was browsing through Costco yesterday and stopped to talk to the Directv representative. I told her that I was interested in switching to Directv but only if I could get one of the new HR44 receivers. She said she didn't think it was available yet in the Atlanta area yet. She called to confirm and said it wasn't and they didn't know when it would be available. I know some people have it already. I was trying to get all the information I need to make my decision before I call Directv so I am hoping some of the experts here can tell me when the HR44 will be available in the Atlanta area.

Also, Costco is offering a $200 Costco card. Everything else looked to be the same that Directv is offering on the website. Can someone fill me in on the positives and negatives of signing up through Costco. They said Costco members have a dedicated customer support number that speeds up the hold times.

Thanks.

If "money is no object," you can order a HR44 third party through Solid Signal for $349.00 plus S&H,or through eBay which can be cheaper. If you go that route,just either go to Costco or call DTV & tell them that you already have the HR44 that you want installed. Of course that all depends on how soon you want DTV itself. You maybe could just go ahead & get DTV installed with the HR34 Genie,then if & when you can afford it,get the HR44 3rd party & have DTV exchange the HR34 with it on your account. Just one note,your 2 year contract expiration date will be extended from the time you got the original Genie(HR34?) to the time you would get the HR44 installed & activated. Oh yes,most important,if you DO go the 3rd party route,the HR44 IS STILL considered a lease,no matter how much you paid up front. YOU DO NOT OWN IT & you still have to return it if you cancel DTV.
Of course if you are satisfied with what you have right now & can hold out,just keep calling DTV & see if they have the HR44 yet,& if they do,have it notated on your work order that you are receiving the HR44,& when the installer calls before he comes to your house,make sure that he has the HR44 with him before he shows up.

Last edited:
Just FYI, except in very rare situations DirecTV will NOT exchange the HR34 for an HR44. If you get an HR34, that's it unless you are prepared to pay full lease price for an HR44. And DirecTV will not activate an HR44 if there is already an HR34 on the account.

Just FYI, except in very rare situations DirecTV will NOT exchange the HR34 for an HR44. If you get an HR34, that's it unless you are prepared to pay full lease price for an HR44. And DirecTV will not activate an HR44 if there is already an HR34 on the account.

Q. What if your getting the HR44 from say SS and want to activate it and have a 34 already on the account, will they allow you to turn OFF the 34 and then activate the 44 , on the same phone call ?

Last edited:
Q. What if your getting the HR44 from say SS and want to ativate it and have a 34 already on the account, will they allow you to turn OFF the 34 and then activate the 44 , on the same phone call ?

Yes. They'd perform what's called a system swap. They'd transfer the programming from the 34 to the 44

The only way you can be 100% certain your getting an HR44 on a new install is by going through a local dealer.

Costco and all the other dealers your at the mercy of whatever the Directv installer has on their truck. If you do go through Costco, Sams Club, AAA or anyone else and they give you an HR34, good luck trying to get Directv to exchange it

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)