Genie set up - do i need another dish?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mots-a

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 22, 2006
my set up now,

i have 2 dishs - 1 large dish HD 5lnb with 4 lines running straight to 2 hd dvrs with b-band's. dish 2 is a very small non hd dish going to 2 rooms with standard tuners.

on monday i plan on have a genie installed with 2 minis.

Do i need a newer hd dish? or will the old 5 lnb work?

my set up now,

i have 2 dishs - 1 large dish HD 5lnb with 4 lines running straight to 2 hd dvrs with b-band's. dish 2 is a very small non hd dish going to 2 rooms with standard tuners.

on monday i plan on have a genie installed with 2 minis.

Do i need a newer hd dish? or will the old 5 lnb work?

You need to tell us what the final configuration will be. Which of your receivers/DVRs are you going to keep? What model numbers are the SD receivers (if you are going to keep them)?

sd's being replaced with minis. plan on moving hr22 to bedroom to replace I think is a hr21 and put genie in room that the hr22 was.

now
I have tv room hr22
bedroom hr21
2 work rooms with sd box

new set up I planing on:
tv room going to get genie
hr22 to bedroom
2 minis to work rooms.

do I need a swm dish?

thanks,
Tom

If you want to use the minis, than you will a SWM setup. Whether they instal a new dish or just put in a swm multi-switch (which would be my choice if no issue with the wiring from the LNB 5 ) will depend entirely on the installer and what they feel like giving you.

The Genie requires a swm setup regardless of any minis. Since you will have over 8 tuners, they will keep the standard lnb and add a swm16 to give you the swm setup.

If you are removing one HR2x DVR, that will give you seven tuners and the most likely scenario is that they would replace the LNB at the dish with an SWM LNB, instead of using an SWM8 multiswitch, it's just the more standard procedure. But if you were keeping BOTH DVRs, that would be nine tuners. In which case they will keep the dish as it is and just install an SWM16 multiswitch in the house.

My recommendation would be that if you have a room where the second DVR could go (giving you two DVRs, a genie and two genie clients) you do that, so you get an SWM16. You can always return the second DVR later. Or just keep both DVRs, and only have one client - still 9 tuners. That way you get the SWM16, for easy future expansion.

You are right texasbrit, I thought he was keeping both dvrs, but he isn't. Most likely they will replace the lnb with a swm type.

You are right texasbrit, I thought he was keeping both dvrs, but he isn't. Most likely they will replace the lnb with a swm type.

If it were me, I would keep both DVRs and get the genie plus one client. More tuners, more recording space. Same monthly fees. Plus he will get an SWM16

some good ideas here. thanks guys.

next question is I have a large roll of carol rg6. one the cable it reads c5795 rg6/u 75 ohm 75c swept to 3 ghz coax -- 18 awg also reads cm ul. c ul. cl2 catv-cm ul.

I want to make new cable runs before my install date. will this cable work or do I need different cable?

thanks Tom.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts