Genie upgrade to existing system

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tcpuccio1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 4, 2007
Lancaster, NY
So here is my question. I have 3 dvr receivers in my house and 2 slave HD receivers right now. I'm getting an upgrade to get rid of my 2 slave units and getting a Genie and a genie mini. what's different for this hook up? I live outside of Buffalo and as you know we got hammered with snow and the schlump from direct showed up to my house the other day and didn't want to do his job. he said it was too much work for the amount of snow outside. I have my dish on a pole on the side of my house in the yard. right now I only have 1 line into the house and it goes into a splitter box. to the 5 receivers I have right now. I have the oval dish. he was bitching about having to run new lines. what the difference in the hook up I need maybe I'll run extra lines so there is no excuse. what do I need for a genie and a mini that not there already? As always thank you in advance.

Even though you already have a swm setup that the Genie requires, you have a swm lnb which can only support up to eight tuners. Your new setup will have eleven. That means a regular lnb with four cables to a swm switch will need to be installed. That's why the installer turned down the job for the time being.

Well, with the set up your talking, which would have 11 tuners total, you'll need 4 lines from LNB to SWM 16 switch. Thats the biggest difference.

Ok that's the reason why But what extra needs to be run to make this work?
Combine Jimbo's post and mine! Your swm lnb only supports up to eight tuners, but a swm16 switch will do up to 16. That switch requires four lines from a standard lnb.

Just buy a swm13 lnb off eBay and save yourself a lot of trouble. I'm sure the installer will hook it up given his desire not to do much work

Excellent! so most of the work is out side. eight now where the genie is going to go I have my DVR with the biggest capacity and one of the salves. The big DVR will replace the slave so I don't need anything else with that receiver will the genie just need 1 Sat input and that's it or does that need an extra line? How does the Geni Mini work ? sorry for the queton I'm new to this not so new technology. It' hard to get to the room where the genie is so I don't want this kid that hates his job to hack anything up so If I run any extra lines will be good to go then. Thx in advance!

Excellent! so most of the work is out side. eight now where the genie is going to go I have my DVR with the biggest capacity and one of the salves. The big DVR will replace the slave so I don't need anything else with that receiver will the genie just need 1 Sat input and that's it or does that need an extra line? How does the Geni Mini work ? sorry for the queton I'm new to this not so new technology. It' hard to get to the room where the genie is so I don't want this kid that hates his job to hack anything up so If I run any extra lines will be good to go then. Thx in advance!
Genie only needs 1 line but the whole system needs to be rebuilt to support the additional tuners. You could either buy the lnb off eBay if you want to use all existing wiring or you could let the tech do his job. Not really wise to start disconnecting stuff or running more lines.

Thx Guys. I'm going to tell the guy to just leave me extra line and in the spring I'll run it under ground in PVC to the house and deal with it then. we had 7' of snow in 3 days here and right now nothing is left on the ground. Weird fall weather to say the least!

I work in the buffalo dma. Sadly we don't have the SWM 13 lnb yet. The tech could of ran the extra 3 wires. But Couldn't trench because of the snow.
I think you and I have had this discussion before but I'm not much further south.. in fact a few of your guys pick up from my warehouse.. I don't believe the 13 is anywhere on the northeast

Status
Please reply by conversation.