Genie VS Tivo

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Unless you have hd free for life, it will go away at the end of the two year deal.
If I recall correctly there was only a 3 month window between May and August of 2010 where DIRECTV offered free HD for life exclusively to new subscribers.

Hardware changes shouldn't impact programming discounts.

I don't remember exactly when the promotion started and ended, but it seems like it was longer than that.

The directv TiVo is an older HR DVR with TiVo stamped on it. I was promised the HR-44 by a manager when I signed up as a new customer and the tech had one on his truck left and I asked before he even started to install. He said even if he didn't have one, he would get one for me since it's about keeping the customer happy. The HR-54 is in the works of coming out, that's what the tech who installed our service said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would also consider staying with the Genie if I could sub with a HR44, however I've read in this forum that DTV doesn't guarantee this model as a sub. At the start of my last subscription contract I had a client installed in my family room that had a separate outlet for my Xfinity internet. As I no longer have that client, my Genie HR34 is no longer connected to my wireless router via Ethernet, I haven't been able to access On Demand for well over a year.
There ya go, use that as a sticking point, tell them you need to have your Genie hooked up to the internet and would like the Wireless version as getting cab le there is not available.

See what they say .... the HR44 has wirelsss, the HR34 does not.

The directv TiVo is an older HR DVR with TiVo stamped on it. I was promised the HR-44 by a manager when I signed up as a new customer and the tech had one on his truck left and I asked before he even started to install. He said even if he didn't have one, he would get one for me since it's about keeping the customer happy. The HR-54 is in the works of coming out, that's what the tech who installed our service said.

Do we have any info as to exactly what the HR54 is and does ?
We've heard tyhe model number before, but I don't remember what its gonna do.

TiVo is all about using the cable card. If you are bundling cable services, it is a great alternative to using their DVRs.

The UI is far superior, on tivo, than DTV in my opinion... It provides season and episode numbers, a better summary, and seems cleaner.

There is an up front cost for the Dvr and a monthly guide fee of 15 bucks. You can add mini clients for just the cost of the client..

I am speaking of the roamio version...

The TiVo visuals are superior. Clearly showing new shows, extra half hour on the guide and season numbers are great and hopefully DirecTV adds that.

Where TiVo lacks is tuner management. Conflicts are handled much better on DirecTV letting me select the show to cancel as opposed to only using the priority list. In addition DirecTV tuners automatically start a little early and can seamlessly go from one show to the next on the same channel using only one tuner. Something TiVo fails at. TiVo has issues with video and audio drop outs when moving into the menu and has issues with kuid. I've also seen the spinning wheel on my TiVo more often than I'd like and not to mention the cable card issues which can be a royal pia.

Bottom line is they are both good boxes and you aren't slumming it in the DVR world with either.

TiVo does have some really big issues staying relevant in the world. Big problem for them is getting back to adding subscribers in retail and over coming the consolidation trend in the small markets which might consider using the platform as opposed to their own. Their market is shrinking and they've been losing customers far faster than they are adding them. Not good.

In addition, TiVo s old advantage has shrunk considerably. The x1, hr series, hopper etc are all good boxes. So why exactly are people, new people, going to shell out big bucks for your hardware and service? Well they aren't and that is the problem. Throw the 3 year or 5 year cost analysis out the window most people don't care and would rather pay monthly and keep their options open.

TiVo is likely going to go the way of the dodo eventually.

TiVo is all about using the cable card. If you are bundling cable services, it is a great alternative to using their DVRs.

The UI is far superior, on tivo, than DTV in my opinion... It provides season and episode numbers, a better summary, and seems cleaner.

The TiVo visuals are superior. Clearly showing new shows, extra half hour on the guide and season numbers are great and hopefully DirecTV adds that.

That feature is on the latest CE, so expect it to go national in the upcoming months

That feature is on the latest CE, so expect it to go national in the upcoming months
Where do you see this info on the latest CE software ?
I just checked several shows and nothing has changed in the guide as far as episode info goes.
It does show the Original Air Date like always, but not the S EP #'s

Where do you see this info on the latest CE software ?
I just checked several shows and nothing has changed in the guide as far as episode info goes.
It does show the Original Air Date like always, but not the S EP #'s
HR44-700's and HR34-700's only so far. Hopefully your HR44-500 will get it this coming up week.

It's really nice, season and episode. Can even choose to just record every episode in a certain season. Will even sort episodes in order in the folder even if recorded at different times. Its long over due... :)

Reactions: I WANT MORE
I've got a hr44 700 in going to check it out on Friday. Thank you for the tip.

HR44-700's and HR34-700's only so far. Hopefully your HR44-500 will get it this coming up week.

It's really nice, season and episode. Can even choose to just record every episode in a certain season. Will even sort episodes in order in the folder even if recorded at different times. Its long over due... :)
Glad they finally listened to their customers.

I have a HR44 and am running the current CE ....
That said, I do remember mentioning last week that there were 2 different CEs out that week for the Genies.
Hopefully they add this to the rest this weekend.
They probably ran it to certain ones to have a small sample to deal with if there were any issues.

What's the newest version ? Mine shows 0x8C2 but doesn't show episode and season number.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts