Status
Please reply by conversation.

linuxman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 16, 2006
North West of St. Louis, MO
Hi All,

While I was digging out all of the satellite equipment that I am selling this Spring, I found a box with some brand new, never used, and still in the box GeosatPro SL2 Dual Output LNBFs that I acquired from SatelliteAV when I first started my "Best Way to Receive Whole Ku Arc With Fixed Dishes? project a couple of years ago.

I contacted Brian of SatelliteAV and he encouraged me to just have a Give-Away, so that's what I am doing.

I have 8 of these along with their holders designed to fit a GeosatPro 90CM dish that I will throw into winnings for one lucky winner.

Perhaps you would like to start your own mini-dish farm and start out with multiple LNBFs on one dish. Well these are the LNBFs of choice. They are the smallest LNBF currently manufactured, and can be spaced every 4 degrees on a GeosatPro 90CM dish, and will work fine on a Primestar 84e spaced at 4 degrees spacing.

Here are some pictures of the LNBFs in action:

satav-single-lnbf-bracket.jpg 89w-83w3.jpg89w-83w6.jpg 101w-97w-geosatpro-90cm.jpg101w-97w-geosatpro-90cm5.jpg

Here's the deal!!

Tell us your favorite Dish Hunting Story in as much detail as you can remember. It has to be true, and has to have been done by you personally. It has to have resulted in your acquiring the dish and bringing it home. Pictures of what you found while still in the wild, and how they are being used now must also be included. :cool: That's for Anole. :eek:

EDIT:Contest closes on Saturday May 30, 2011 at 12:00 Noon CDT. Hopefully will have the winner picked by sometime that evening.

Sorry guys, but entries from only those living in the CONUS will be accepted, and you must have your location, at least the nearest big City to you and the State where you live in displayed in your profile in the upper right hand corner of the posts.

The winner will be chosen by a "dis-interested" party hopefully by the evening of May 30, 2011, and be shipped free to the winner in the CONUS only.

If I have forgotten anything, it will be corrected by those posting I'm sure. :)

I always loved "Dish Hunting". It became my favorite "sport" over the last 5 years, and I know there are others out there who love the sport as well.

So let's hear your story!!

Last edited:
Ok, I guess I'm game. Planning on getting a Primestar soon, could use Ku lnb's for it since the one with it probably won't be worth a crap.

went yardsaling with my wife (my mistake)... came to a house with a bunch of junk (over priced)... lo & behold in the yard a primestar elliptical (the 84E)... out of curiosity i asked what she wanted for it... 100 bucks, i replied that it was a good price & left it at that... another guy at the sale overheard me talking about it & told me if i would take the "junk" out of his yard i could have his... so the day was not a total loss after all (i got the good lnb with combined H & V)

Ok. This is a two part story. I install FTA dishes for people to watch the Adventist stations. Several years ago before I even heard about Satellite guys I went to a persons Nail Salon to install a FTA dish because they wanted to show religious programing for people to watch while getting their nails done. It turns out that the shop they were in had at one time been a Radio Shack. Well, I went up on the roof and saw a Primestar dish on a non-penetrating mount. I had never seen or even heard of a Primestar dish. What great luck I thought. Here's a mount and coax allready running into the store. So I took the pesky "useless" Primestar dish off the mount and threw it off the roof. Then I proceded to place my FTA dish on the same mount that the Primestar come off of.

Several month later I found Satellite Guys and started reading about how great Primestar dishes were and how they could be used to pick up FTA. I was sick. I kept replaying over and over in my mind the Primestar dish sailing off the roof and shattering into pieces as it hit the concrete parking lot.

Now I was on a quest to find another Primestar Dish. I looked everywhere for a dish. I came home from work different ways just so I could look in peoples yards for a dish. I started thinking maybe I would have a better chance to find a dish if I looked in areas that wasn't wired for cable, so I started looking up at telephone poles to see if a neighborhood had cable TV wires or not. Finally about a year later I went down a street one block off my normal route home and there it was! A Primestar dish! Less than 1 mile from my home.

I went up to the house, knocked on the door and this is what I said. " Hi. My name is Adam and I noticed that old Primestar satellite dish in your yard. Primestar has been out of business for many years. But I like to experiment with receiving satellite signals and your Primestar dish could work great for that. Would you be willing to give me your dish? Or if you don't want to give it away I would be willing to pay you something for it." The lady said I'm glad you came by. I have been wondering how to get rid of that ugly thing for years! I offered to cut off the pole at ground level for her but she said don't worry about that just take the dish. So I unbolted it from the pole, threw it in my truck and now it's in my side yard. Over the years it has been aimed at several satellites. This is an old photo but right now it's aimed a 97W. Out of all the dishes I have ever had or installed I think my Primestar is the best.

attachment.php

Last edited:
I just realized the DirecTV Slimline-5 I have around is almost the same size as a Primestar. If I could get just one of those LNBF's I'd finally be able to get some Ku.

This is probably going to be rather long(ish) and some of it I have posted before. Going back and forth to work I had to drive a small mountain road, and daily I was looking at what appeared to be an unused LARGE dish. All I had at that time was a 30" motorized dish that I bought when I lived in an apartment and used it for DN.

Well after seeing this thing for over a year, it finally dawned on me what was wrong with that picture, there was no LNB on it, so one morning I stopped and asked what it was being used for, and I was told it was their internet connection but the contract had expired and they were ready to have another company replace everything. They had already sent the receiver and LNB back but the company said it wasn't worth the shipping costs to return the dish, they were about to scrap it that week, how about that, I drove to work with this HUGH 4 foot dish in the back of my pickup, that was my introduction to the Patriot 1.2m dish.

There was another dish I had been passing each week when I went to town, in a very small fenced in area off to the side of the road. I had left several notes attached to their fence. It was an exact clone or twin to the one that I received from the mine, and each week as I drove to go shopping I would see this dish. Then one day there was a pick up truck parked just outside the fence and I stopped to ask about the dish. It turned out that it was an Arizona Dept of Transportation "yard" and the person I was talking too told me where I could go ask about the dish.

The following week I finally managed time to go to the ADOT office and it took four people for me to find the correct person to ask about the dish. He had to put in a request to Phoenix to 'scrap out' this dish, and would get back to me in a week or two.

Three days later I got a phone call from him asking for directions to my house. He pulled up in a large truck with this disk tied to the back of the truck, tied that is with WIRE. He delivered the dish to the house.

That dish is still sitting in my back yard, I have gone through a bout of medical problems during the past several months and haven't had the chance to do much more than dig a hole for the pole and set the pole in the hole, I haven't even poured the concrete yet, but it IS in the works to mount this Patriot 1.2m dish as soon as possible after my surgery next week.

Between the time I received that first Patriot 1.2m dish and now, I have acquired two 10' mesh dishes, got them up and working, found several ku dishes that are working, and now have a mini grotto of dishes sprouting up at the side and back of the house. The MOST fun I have had in this hobby is trying to put LNBFs on dishes that have nothing to indicate where the LNBs were originally mounted, such was the case on the original Patriot. And the cost of the original mount from Patriot made that idea go away real fast. I have found that a multi-lnb mount works just fine.

The attached picture was taken during last winters mini frost in our area, I can't seem to find any of the multitude of pictures I took during it's growing (planting) phase, but it IS a good example of how I used a multi feed system to get at the (almost) correct location for mounting an LNB.

The larger dish is the original Patriot, the smaller dish is the original 30" I started with here at home after moving from California.

And I still don't have an LNBF for the newest Patriot.

Photto

Attachments

• Patriot in the snow.JPG
    Patriot in the snow.JPG
    455.7 KB · Views: 299
I purchased two Primestar dishes with three LNBs each from linuxman, but haven't picked these up yet. I also ran an ad on Craigslist looking for unwanted dishes. A man called me up saying that he had an old DTN dish that needed a home. It found one! Here it is laying on the floor of my garage...

Well, I can't seem to post a picture of it here.

I've posted a picture of this on my FTABlog here:

FTA Satellite TV Experiment

I was admiring the Prodelin dish at a closed bank for several years on my daily commute. I never dreamed it would be mine one day. Long before I acquired two others from commercial buildings. Then last summer I noticed renovations beginning on the property and eventually the dish came down. Luckily it was carefully removed and undamaged. It was mine for the asking. This 6' Prodelin is my favorite and is the only one permanently installed in the ground. Currently pointed at 99W C band.

Thanks for the contest Linuxman.

Attachments

• Picture 020.jpg
    Picture 020.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 253
  • Picture 024.jpg
    Picture 024.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 211
  • bank_Prodelin.jpg
    bank_Prodelin.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 227
  • Picture 228.jpg
    Picture 228.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 259
Here's link to my original post (it has pictures) of a 1m primestar I found and managed to get motorized. It's the one I use as my Avatar.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/170548-1-meter-primestar-repaired-motorized.html

Now for the story :) I had recently started getting into the hobby and was hopeful that I would one day acquire a much sought after primestar dish. I sent an email around at work asking if anyone had old satellite dishes they no longer wanted. Of course I got plenty of dish network and directtv offers. I decided to follow up with a few of them, after all Dish sometimes has stuff go unencrypted and I didn't have any circular lnbs yet.

I drove out to this house to pick up their old directv dishes and to my surprise and delight :) There was a 1m primestar sitting in their neighbor's yard! I asked the owner if they would introduce me to the neighbor and to make a long story short. They were more than happy to have someone remove the dish from their yard. I also ended up with a 4x4 channel master mulitswitch from the directv setup, so I have been able to use that with the lnb on the primestar setup.

Since then, I have been using the support arms off the dish with another 1m primestar I got for $5 from the previous owner who only had the reflector. This "new" reflector is in better shape than my first 1m primestar, but I use it with the same custom mount I made out of a dish 500.

I will post some new pictures of my dish farm sometime soon. I have moved since the orginal photos were taken.

Here's link to my original post (it has pictures) of a 1m primestar I found and managed to get motorized. It's the one I use as my Avatar.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/170548-1-meter-primestar-repaired-motorized.html

Now for the story :) I had recently started getting into the hobby and was hopeful that I would one day acquire a much sought after primestar dish. I sent an email around at work asking if anyone had old satellite dishes they no longer wanted. Of course I got plenty of dish network and directtv offers. I decided to follow up with a few of them, after all Dish sometimes has stuff go unencrypted and I didn't have any circular lnbs yet.

I drove out to this house to pick up their old directv dishes and to my surprise and delight :) There was a 1m primestar sitting in their neighbor's yard! I asked the owner if they would introduce me to the neighbor and to make a long story short. They were more than happy to have someone remove the dish from their yard. I also ended up with a 4x4 channel master mulitswitch from the directv setup, so I have been able to use that with the lnb on the primestar setup.

Since then, I have been using the support arms off the dish with another 1m primestar I got for $5 from the previous owner who only had the reflector. This "new" reflector is in better shape than my first 1m primestar, but I use it with the same custom mount I made out of a dish 500.

I will post some new pictures of my dish farm sometime soon. I have moved since the orginal photos were taken.

Thats cool man $5. I got my m primestar dish for free on craigslist lol. I use to have primestar, but then dtv bought them out, the guy came and took my PS dish off the roof and put a 18' dtv dish up. He said he did not want the dish. So I had it my back yard for a few years then I threw it out' cause I was not into fta back then, I did not know what I had. I am sorry now I threw it out but I got it back kinda from craigslst.

Hi All,

EDIT:Contest closes on Saturday May 30, 2011 at 12:00 Noon CDT. Hopefully will have the winner picked by sometime that evening.

Sorry guys, but entries from only those living in the CONUS will be accepted, and you must have your location, at least the nearest big City to you and the State where you live in displayed in your profile in the upper right hand corner of the posts.

The winner will be chosen by a "dis-interested" party hopefully by the evening of May 30, 2011, and be shipped free to the winner in the CONUS only.

So let's hear your story!!

linuxman,

My calendar says May 30, 2011 is a Monday. Could you clarify the ending of the contest.

Thanks Pixl for point out my error. :)

For clarification purposes.

The contest will end on Monday May 30th at 12:00 Noon CDT with hopefully the winner picked by sometime that evening. :) :eek:

Well I got lucky and found both my primestars a couple of miles apart, out near our lake house on FT Gibson Lake outside Wagoner, OK. The first one I found 4 or 5 years ago. It was across the street from our old lake house, at a house that was supposedly continually be remodeled. It was an 84e that was being used as a no trespassing sign. I didn't realize it was a dish until I went to throw some trash of theirs that had blown away back into their dumpster. It was missing the arm and lnb, but the mount and j-arm was there with the reflector. It came home with me the next weekend. I ordered an 84earm and original type lnb for it and put it up outside the back of my old office aimed at 123 for the old Equity stations. I scrubbed it down with soap and water and I made sure it all worked and then painted it with some gray primer.

My 1m primestar I acquired about a year and half ago. I was driving to our current lake house and just saw the support arms and lnbf sticking up out of a pile of trash near a property that had recently sold. I turned around and went back and started pulling junk off it and sure enough the entire dish was there. I was in my company car instead of my truck, but I had some tools with me, so I had to disassemble the entire thing along the side of the road to get it in my trunk. I got a lot of stares for the twenty minutes it took me to disassemble it. This one I haven't used yet.

My Unimesh C Band dish, I acquired from some old family property. I used it for about 3 months by leaning it up against the side of the lawn shed outside our old office whenever I had time to play with it.

I just moved into my current house about a year ago and I have my site laid out as I ran wire last spring when I was remodeling the house. I am planning on mounting this one on a slab with some bolts, so it will be easy to dismantle and take when we make this house a rental in a couple of years.

I need to put a couple on the roof of our new office building. I work from home now, most of the time, but we have some game day parties in the conference room during football season.

Attachments

• DSC07818.JPG
    DSC07818.JPG
    483.9 KB · Views: 191
  • DSC06203.JPG
    DSC06203.JPG
    549 KB · Views: 166
  • 1m-02 james primestar.jpg
    1m-02 james primestar.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 180
  • james primestars.jpg
    james primestars.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 226
About 3 years ago I placed an ad on Craigslist looking for Primestar dishes. I got a call and the lady said she had one to give away. My son and went to pick it up but I wanted the pole also, I knew would take some work digging it up but I was determined. We started digging but the pole was about 4 ft in the ground with concrete. Just then the neighbor ask what we were doing and explained to him I was going to use the dish for FTA-- he then pointed to his roof and there was a 3ABN dish on on his roof, he did not know that Primestar dishes could also be used for FTA. Then he offers to bring his tractor over and pull the pole out with his power lift! Boy was I thankful! When I got the dish home I left the concrete on the pole dug a big hole put the pole in it and packet the dirt around it. I saved the coast of a pole and concrete!

Attachments

• Photo006a.jpg
    Photo006a.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 170
I really dont have anything excited when Dish hunting

Picked up a Primestar dish when I was taking the Dish Network dish off my buddy's dad's house. The neighbor had a Primestar dish and they came out when I was up on the roof. I asked "do you want me to take that dish off your roof? I'll leave the foot so no holes" and the nbeighbor said "sure get that damn thing out of hear. Its yours if you take it down" :)

Got another one as payment from someone. :)

oh location is Minneapolis, MN ;)

The Give-Away is now closed.

Before I announce who the winner is, we want to thank Mr. Stan Reichardt who is a long time friend, the Benevolent Dictator of the Hazelwood Linux User's Group for newbies in St. Louis County, the Vice-President of the St. Louis Unix User's Group in St. Louis, and retired from the U.S. Army.

Stan is familiar with my hobby/addiction and has accompanied me along with others from the various Linux User's groups on my Dish Hunting expeditions to retrieve several of my dishes including my Birdview Solid dish we got from Nashville, TN, and helped me move the blocks, NPRMs, and dishes onto my roof and setup. He does not know anyone on the forum, nor of my relationship with anyone here, which makes uniquely qualified to be a great and impartial judge for this Give-Away.

We want to also thank Brian Gohl of SatelliteAV for continuously manufacturing and distributing such fine products like the GeosatPro SL2 LNBF to be used in our hobby and helping make this Give-Away possible.

And now the winner is: :cheer2:

Pixl

PM me with your name and full shipping address, and I'll have them boxed up and shipped out tomorrow. :cool:

Congrats to Pixl. - :up
Good entry! ;)

Say, if you don't need all those, I'd be happy to accept two, and pay ya for the shipping. :)
That's the reason I didn't enter; didn't want all 8 (6?) of em. ! .

Congrats to Pixl. - :up
Good entry! ;)

Say, if you don't need all those, I'd be happy to accept two, and pay ya for the shipping. :)
That's the reason I didn't enter; didn't want all 8 (6?) of em. ! .

Thanks Anole,

I'm going to give all 8 lnb's a good home right here. I've been wanting to do multiple lnb's for some time now. This is perfect!

Also a thanks to Stan Reichardt, and Brian Gohl of SatelliteAV for contributing to this contest.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts