Get HD via the Visionsat IV200 PVR Plus (sort of)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rjc3895

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Sep 28, 2004
I decided to record some of the PBS HD using my Visionsat IV PVR Plus and an 8GB thumb drive. I recorded about 60 seconds and then played the recording through my laptop computer using the Media Player Classic . I got a good picture and sound.

So for those of us who do not have HD, it looks as if you can record an HD channel and then play it back through your computer. So while the receiver technically does not display HD, it does record the video stream.

As an FYI, Media Player Classic is not the same as Windows Media Player. MPC is a free media player. Doa Google search on Media Player Classic to find the latest free version. Sourceforge.net is where I downloaded it.

Last edited:
I decided to record some of the PBS HD using my Visionsat IV PVR Plus and an 8GB thumb drive. I recorded about 60 seconds and then played the recording through my laptop computer using the Media Player Classic . I got a good picture and sound.

I never thought to try that! The PVR just records whatever transport stream is being tuned, but being a SD box, it doesn't have the facilities to display the HD.

Have you tried with a 4:2:2 stream? :)

Also try VLC as a player.

This is my answer to everything :) I use VLC when in Ubuntu for satellite, and it runs perfectly. I wish they'd update that for the Windows versions.

Anyway, this sounds like a very cool experiment. If 4:2:2 worked, it'd be worth scrounging around on Ebay for a cheap box.

Have you tried with a 4:2:2 stream? :)

Not yet. I figured out the HD stuff while waiting for the Super Bowl to begin. So I have not tried anything else since yesterday afternoon.

This is my answer to everything :) I use VLC when in Ubuntu for satellite, and it runs perfectly. I wish they'd update that for the Windows versions.

Anyway, this sounds like a very cool experiment. If 4:2:2 worked, it'd be worth scrounging around on Ebay for a cheap box.
Please tell us more I'm assuming that you are using a sat card of some type?

This may be a big plus for me...
I've been looking into getting an HD receiver and the more I look, the more I find that I can build a PC for the task for about the same price (if not less.)
Anyone else having this revelation?
And if I can record HD with a SD PVR and watch it on my PC - I may just nix my HD receiver search...

Please tell us more I'm assuming that you are using a sat card of some type?

I found a Visionsat iv200PVR on Ebay for $80.00. This box has a USB port on the front for hooking up an External Hard drive or a USB thumb drive. Currently I have an 8GB thumb drive hooked up to the box. I have had some issues with the receiver not wanting to move my C-band dish, but I found an acceptable work around for that issue.

I tuned in to the PBS HD channel. The Visionsat passes the audio through but not the video. I pressed the record button and began recording the channel. I stopped recording, removed the thumb drive and inserted it into my laptop. Then using the free Media Player Classic 6.4.9 (available from cnet's website Free Software Downloads and Reviews - Download.com), I opened the TS file and played the video.

Just another good thing in the Visionsat's favor. I wonder if any other SD PVRs would function in this way? Being able to listen to the audio is a plus, this gives you some idea of what you're recording. Of course, you can always edit the HD video later, taking out commercials and stuff you don't want.

I attempted to record a 4:2:2 channel (Daystar). When I played it back on Media Player Classic, I get the "pixelated" video. There are a few software programs that claim to handle 4:2:2 video, so it may be possible to record and then watch the video feed via another media player.

Most people who receive 4:2:2 on PCI DVB cards use Elecard codecs. It is possible that the installation of this codec set on the PC will fix the playback problem.

Most people who receive 4:2:2 on PCI DVB cards use Elecard codecs. It is possible that the installation of this codec set on the PC will fix the playback problem.

nVidia's PureVideo works on the 4:2:2 as well in my tests. I was using version OEM223.

In regards to this procedure, I have been doing something similar to this with the Dreambox for some time. Although the receiver can not display the HD or 4:2:2 video with it's own hardware, it will still record the stream. So, all I do is start recording the stream to an NFS share and then start playing the file through the HTPC. Sorta ghetto, but it gets the job done.

In regards to this procedure, I have been doing something similar to this with the Dreambox for some time. Although the receiver can not display the HD or 4:2:2 video with it's own hardware, it will still record the stream. So, all I do is start recording the stream to an NFS share and then start playing the file through the HTPC. Sorta ghetto, but it gets the job done.

Try teaching the wife how to work that one!

I was able to record the 4:2:2 video, then use a program called PVAStrumento (a freeware program) to convert the file to mpg. The mpg file plays in the VLC media player but not Windows Media Player or Media Player Classic. I'm still fine tuning the process, but at least I know I can record 4:2:2 feeds and then convert them and watch later.

Excellent news! I've been aching to try it myself, but with lots of things going on now, I haven't had the time. Thanks for taking the time to find a workable solution for 4:2:2! :up

Now if only we had a firmware update that would allow the data stream to pass directly to a PC via the USB port and then design a media player that can play the data stream. I would be ok with a 2 minute delay for data buffering. The PC software, rather than the FTA Receiver, would be doing all of the work.

This could make for an interesting new thread.

Now if only we had a firmware update that would allow the data stream to pass directly to a PC via the USB port and then design a media player that can play the data stream.

I've been thinking about this since I first read the thread...
I can't experiment until I actually *have* a pvr box, but the stream is there while the program is being recorded to a flash drive...
The trick would be to make the USB connection to the PC appear as a flash drive to the pvr - not even sure if it's possible...
I work with network security and am constantly monitoring traffic over the wire... would seem that something similar should be available for USB to monitor that as well...
Just have to keep digging...

Interesting.
I'm wondering if a straight usb cable would work or if I would need a datalink/crossover USB cable to communicated with the FTA receiver. I know a crossover cable is needed to update the firmware via the serial port.

While I have not digested most of the article contents, it seems that the usb architecture contains a communications layer; and in theory, if you were to hook up two usb devices, they should be able to communicate on some level.

This is getting interesting. Should we move this topic to a different thread or keep going? We sort of got of the subject of HD and 4:2:2 and are now going down a new and very interesting road.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts