Get OTA antenna to stop paying for local channels...help

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Can you post your TV Fool report from www.tvfool.com ? That will help us determine what you should be able to receive at your location
So, out of curiosity, I went to that website to get the report for my address. Then I noticed this under TV Signal Analysis Results: "The transmitter database was last updated on July 24, 2017."
There have been several changes lately, due to the ongoing spectrum repack, and I immediately noticed that my chart did not reflect those changes. So, keep this in mind when using TV Fool to see what stations you should be able to get. Their information may not be up-to-date for your area.

Reactions: charlesrshell
So, out of curiosity, I went to that website to get the report for my address. Then I noticed this under TV Signal Analysis Results: "The transmitter database was last updated on July 24, 2017."
There have been several changes lately, due to the ongoing spectrum repack, and I immediately noticed that my chart did not reflect those changes. So, keep this in mind when using TV Fool to see what stations you should be able to get. Their information may not be up-to-date for your area.

Yep, it's been well documented on the Rabbitears section of the forum that TV Fool is woefully out of date. Admin Trip has approached the webmaster of TV Fool to offer help, but hasn't heard back. However- it's still the best tool available for the time being.

Reactions: Tampa8 and pattykay
Here is another site to try.

Address

I have a Dish OTA dongle you can have for a few bucks for shipping. Let me know if you're interested.

Regards,
Al Rovner
Vancouver, Wash.

Talk to me Alan. Or send me a PM. I am a bit worried, however, that the Dish website states this for the dongle: "Over-the-Air Adapter sold separately and requires professional installation." I can certainly plug in a USB device and screw in a coaxial cable, but is it possible that a technician needs to do something else to install this?

Talk to me Alan. Or send me a PM. I am a bit worried, however, that the Dish website states this for the dongle: "Over-the-Air Adapter sold separately and requires professional installation." I can certainly plug in a USB device and screw in a coaxial cable, but is it possible that a technician needs to do something else to install this?

If you can plug a USB device into your computer, you can install the adapter. Professional installation- that's hilarious :D

ok. point taken. I will climb up there and see if I find a coax cable that hopefully goes down to the first floor. I will have to attach whatever antenna I use to the Hopper, correct?

From my experiences, the old yagi antennas are way better than the newer ones. Go to your attic and get it hooked up. Also, I’d recommend upgrading to a better antenna. Ask around your neighborhood, they’ll be happy for you take their “ugly antennas” off their roof.

Reactions: NABRIL
I can only guess that Dish was thinking of rooftop antenna installations when they included that note.
It has been discussed before, and I think the consensus was that the note about professional installation was left over from the old MT2 OTA adapters that have to be inserted inside the ViP222k/ViP722k/922 receivers. While it is still relatively easy to install those, Dish would probably prefer professional installation just to make sure that the customer does not tear up something inside the receiver. The newer USB OTA adapters for Hopper/Wally are so easy to install, there is no need to worry about professional installation.

Reactions: NABRIL and NYDutch
Hello
In a continuing effort to lower my Dish monthly bill, the thought just hit me (4 years too late perhaps) that I can get an OTA antenna to see my local channels.

You did not miss out on any savings it was not till very recently you could drop the locals and save that cost,

Hello
In a continuing effort to lower my Dish monthly bill, the thought just hit me (4 years too late perhaps) that I can get an OTA antenna to see my local channels. I know that I HAVE TO use the Dish OTA USB dongle, and I assume that the OTA channels will appear in the guide since there is an OTA option within the settings that states so.

1. Are there any preferences for the actual antenna to buy? Or will any HD antenna work? I have a gigantic one in the attic, but it's one of those arrow-shaped, 1980's TV antenna.
2. Do the OTA local channels appear in all the guides of the Joeys?
3. If I get a Fire Stick and use Dish anywhere to replace a Joey on 1 of my TV's, will the local channels appear on that TV?

Back to your original questions:

See post #12 in this thread:

I do not have the OTA adapter, so I cannot say for sure what your experience will be, but there are potentially significant downsides to OTA with the Hopper.

Another consideration...
The OTA adapter counts as its own tuner(s).
I believe you can only get the DUAL-OTA now, which provides 2 tuners on the Hopper3.
All OTA channels accessed via the OTA can only be viewed by the 2 OTA tuners.
The 16 sat tuners on the Hopper will NOT access thr OTA.
PrimeTimeAnyTime does NOT work with OTA.
You will have only 2 tuners for all of the OTA channels.
Consider the potential of conflicting OTA programming.
If you want to watch/dvr shows on ABC, CBS & NBC at the same time, too bad, you can only watch/dvr 2 at the same time.

Reactions: the mack and NABRIL
Wow, those last 3 posts are interesting and helpful facts. Thank you. I will connect it, and see the behavior before I drop the local channels from my programming. Let's see if all of those nuances are worth the $12 monthly savings. My daughter likes a lot of network shows (Amazing Race, awards shows, etc), so I hope that I am able to watch them and record them properly.

Wow, those last 3 posts are interesting and helpful facts. Thank you. I will connect it, and see the behavior before I drop the local channels from my programming. Let's see if all of those nuances are worth the $12 monthly savings. My daughter likes a lot of network shows (Amazing Race, awards shows, etc), so I hope that I am able to watch them and record them properly.

We made a go of the single tuner adapter when I dropped locals two months ago. Had to quickly upgrade to the dual tuner and have had no issues since.

All recording playback issues have suddenly resolved. Though it might be that I set a daily auto tune to an OTA channel just before primetime. Don’t know - don’t care - All is well and I’m saving $12.00 per month. Small victory- but it makes me happy...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts