Get updates about the new HD DVR w/TIVO

Status
Please reply by conversation.
yeah i signed up awhile back for beta testing and i've yet to hear anything.

I can't believe TiVo is still in business. :confused:

It seems like every time I hear anything about them it's about how they are still struggling to stay afloat.

TiVo was awesome when it first came out and none of the cable companies or satellite providers had a DVR. Now that cable tv companies offer a non-TiVo DVR and DIRECTV has it's own non-TiVo SD and HD DVRs I don't see any reason to buy a TiVo DVR and pay $15/month or whatever the monthly fee is now just to use it.

Maybe they'd be better off if they charged more for the hardware, charged a once a year fee for software updates, and dropped the monthly fee for guide updates all together.

I can't believe TiVo is still in business. :confused:

It seems like every time I hear anything about them it's about how they are still struggling to stay afloat.

TiVo was awesome when it first came out and none of the cable companies or satellite providers had a DVR. Now that cable tv companies offer a non-TiVo DVR and DIRECTV has it's own non-TiVo SD and HD DVRs I don't see any reason to buy a TiVo DVR and pay $15/month or whatever the monthly fee is now just to use it.

Maybe they'd be better off if they charged more for the hardware, charged a once a year fee for software updates, and dropped the monthly fee for guide updates all together.
TiVo has an unparalleled UI and it has been upgraded in the Series 4 announced yesterday. I was here looking for nibblets on this and if D* will have the HD UI on their interface. I have been with TiVo since the begining and I can can honestly say that for me, neither D* E* or C* have anything that even compares to the TiVo UI. It is also notable that TiVo just won the appeal of the patent infringements against E* ... so unless someone gets innovative, there may not be a DVR on other services as it is known today.

That said, I hope D* does not block the advanced features on the platform they do release. I am sure they will, but someone will fix it.

TiVo has an unparalleled UI and it has been upgraded in the Series 4 announced yesterday. I was here looking for nibblets on this and if D* will have the HD UI on their interface. I have been with TiVo since the begining and I can can honestly say that for me, neither D* E* or C* have anything that even compares to the TiVo UI. It is also notable that TiVo just won the appeal of the patent infringements against E* ... so unless someone gets innovative, there may not be a DVR on other services as it is known today.

That said, I hope D* does not block the advanced features on the platform they do release. I am sure they will, but someone will fix it.

I agree, I have to say I AM REALLY hoping that series 4 makes it way to directv, that reciever looks really nice...plus netflix in my Directv box ummmm yes please (and dont tell me about playon, it rarely works like it should)

The TiVo UI is different than the DIRECTV HD DVR UI but I don't think the TiVo UI is the best UI in the world and that I can't live without it like some people around here do.

If my DIRECTV HD DVR broke down someday and DIRECTV offered me a TiVo/DIRECTV HD DVR as a replacement I'd probably give it a try as long as they don't charge a higher monthly DVR fee for the TiVo.

How could it be a dud when the event didn't start until 6PM...here's what happened;
TiVo Premiere and Premiere XL usher in a brand new interface, optional QWERTY remote -- Engadget

Thanks for that but in my original post I said so far. If they didn't present anything it would have been a dud also because they promoted the unveiling will be on March 2nd. And anything less then stellar would have been a failure to me anyways.

After seeing what they presented I'm not really feeling it...no Tru2way ill opt for the boxee box whenever that drops. Yes its not a dvr but I expected more from Tivo.

Well it will not have the New HD UI as reported at engadget. If it comes fully disabled as the HR10-250 was I may have to pass. Heck I may have to jump to cable, but only if they get the OnDemand figured out with Comcrap, I guess I could also do what I do now and use Netflix for VOD. Lord knows my HR-20 have no VOD, unless you like waiting a day for your "on-demand" programing.

Fleet farmer, you are certainly entitled to you opinion, had you ever used the Series2 software you might be in the same camp I am. Unless D* gets TiVo's rolled it is unlikelyhttp://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,191776,00.html the HR-xx series will retain the season pass functionality, which makes 'em kind of useless.

DIRECTV calls the season pass thing SERIES LINK. DIRECTV and TiVo are working on a new DIRECTV/TiVo HD DVR. I really doubt DIRECTV will be forced to remove the season pass functionality from the HR-xx DVRs.

Dish does not call it season pass either, but they are paying 87M after 10 years of litigation because they did infringe on the technology itself which is patented. My point was not to say the HR-xx will lose this function, rather that DirecTV agreed to being back TiVo 2 years ago and has not (much to my personal dismay). However, the agreement in place does state that they will not sue each other while in place. This agreement ends in 2011 so ... Unless D* gets TiVo's rolled it is unlikely the HR-xx series will retain the season pass functionality, which makes 'em kind of useless.

gotta tell ya, i just bought a brand new series 3 tivo hd from a guy who won it in a contest. the price included the tivo, a wirless adapter and lifetime service. it was for 12 free months but they upgraded it to lifetime at no cost to me.

i bought this before i knew about the premier box. but all in all i paid the same as what those boxes were going for at the time and got the free adapter and $400 free service.

its for cable but i would keep it for ota when or if i cancel cable.

Status
Please reply by conversation.