Getting a Sonicview receiver

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Is IF1 OUT and IF2 OUT the same as an RF OUT? Wouldn't that need to transmit to analog channel 3 or 4?
no
IF1 out & IF2 out are what some receivers call "loop out". It sends the satellite signal to the other tuner or receiver.

If he doesn't have at least a composite input, couldn't he just use an old VCR with composite inputs and then RF out to the TV?
the receiver should have a TV out or RF out to go to the TV

looks like there is no rf out on the elite...damn

ok per the manual the cable from the dish goes into "1" on the pic below
to use the 2nd tuner hook a cable from "2" over to "3"
"4" is not used

to hook to TV you need either a/v cables or S-Video

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 80
no
IF1 out & IF2 out are what some receivers call "loop out". It sends the satellite signal to the other tuner or receiver.

the receiver should have a TV out or RF out to go to the TV

No RF out on the 360 Elite. Just composite, component and S-Video.

What do you recommend to use it with one RG-6 cable from one dish? I am not doing any recording with this unit and it really has more features than I will ever use. I just want to connect my rg-6 cable to the receiver, and from there to my TV.

My manual which came with the receiver is a gray scale as if printed on a black/white printer and not in color. The remote seems to be real and works to turn on and off the receiver. I got it from Allstar Wholesales and everything looks real on the receiver. If I buy another one it will probably be locally through the electronics shop to make sure I get the real thing.

Ok! I dont have one of these receivers but from i can see from the backside of the receiver this is what you can do for basic operation.Connect RG6 from your dish set up to IF A IN.!(Make sure receiver is non powered when connecting). For your TV hook up depending on what your TV offers you can hook up a composite video cable (Red,Blue,Green) and audio cables (red and white for left and right audio) between the receiver and TV or use audio/video cable (yellow video,red and white l/r audio).The SPdif can be used if your tv provides for AC3 audio operation but dont worry about that for now!just get yourself up and running.

Last edited:
After all the time I spent trying to get this receiver to work with my Analog TV, I have come to the conclusion that it is only designed for digital TV's. I want to thank everyone for their assistance and I will box it up and go back to my Mercury II after receiving a serial/USB cable which I found and ordered which will work with my computers to update the receiver.

Ok! I dont have one of these receivers but from i can see from the backside of the receiver this is what you can do for basic operation.Connect RG6 from your dish set up to IF A IN.!(Make sure receiver is non powered when connecting). For your TV hook up depending on what your TV offers you can hook up a composite video cable (Red,Blue,Green) and audio cables (red and white for left and right audio) between the receiver and TV or use audio/video cable (yellow video,red and white l/r audio).The SPdif can be used if your tv provides for AC3 audio operation but dont worry about that for now!just get yourself up and running.
Update! The receiver you have should work with most cheap cable ready tvs out there today.My Geosat dsr200c receicer dosnt have HDMI and has just about the same setup as your sonic except for the extra set of IF In/Out connectors

Last edited:
No it isn't only designed for digital TVs. It will work with any TV that has a composite input...that's pretty much any decent TV built since the mid 1980s.

Even if you're still using a groovy TV from the 70s it's just a matter of using an old VCR between the box and TV. At that point though I'd just hit Craigslist pick up one of the countless CRT TVs being given away for free and enter the totally bodacious decade of the 80's.

After further examination of the manual I figured this receiver is only for digital televisions and not the analog tv which I have. The television has to be connected by some RCA wires for video and audio which my TV don't have. It will go back into the box and my Mercury II will be hooked back up and one cable I ordered be used to update it. Thanks to everyone who has tried to assist me in solving this problem.

If your tv doesn't have any rca type inputs "only coaxial" then all you need to get is any rf modulator that takes the rca outputs and converts them to coaxial.You can get an rf modulator at wally world.

Last edited:
I figured what the problem is. I was trying to connect the receiver to an Analog TV which this unit was not designed for. I finally figured out that this unit is designed for the Digital TV's only and why no RG-6 cable runs from the receiver to the TV which only has an RG-6 connection on it. I want to thank everyone for your assistance and I have to learn how to connect up the new receivers and TV's which is different than the older ones.

If all of your TVs are so old as to not have video inputs (composite analog RCA jacks), then you'll benefit in picture quality going to a more recent model.
Of course today, all you can buy (new) is digital-ready TV sets, at least in the USA, and that's by law.
Not sure what you can get in Canada (they haven't fully converted to digital TV, yet) or other nearby countries.

Over the air reception will be eye-popping, and even playback of DVDs should be far more impressive.

FTA services vary in quality, so your results may be better on some channels than others.
But at least you'll be able to see the difference.!. - :up

I have solved the problem with the receiver after finding the manual for the TV. All I had to do was press the "HDMI" button on the TV to change the connection type to "HDMI" and I got a picture. I called the Directv representative and found that I was suppose to have a card for the receiver I purchased, but did not receive one. So I am back where I started with the receiver and will contact the company I purchased it from. Last month was not good for me at all with the problems I have been having. I will probably end up dropping my subscription to Directv since I have been tempted to do so anyway. Thanks to all for the assistance.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)