Getting basic channels without a box?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

abooch

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 10, 2007
is there any channels i can get without having a box like lets say you owuld get with cable.. i have a tv in the kitchen that is hooked up with no box with comcast and it gets the basic 1-99 channels...im assuming direct tv can't do this

You always split the signal coming out of the DirecTV box and run a second coax to your second TV. I do that to get a signal to the TV by my computer in the next room. Only catches are you would have the same thing on both TVs and would have to get up and go in the other room to change channels. Better than 5 bucks more a month though.

is there any channels i can get without having a box like lets say you owuld get with cable.. i have a tv in the kitchen that is hooked up with no box with comcast and it gets the basic 1-99 channels...im assuming direct tv can't do this

nope

You always split the signal coming out of the DirecTV box and run a second coax to your second TV. I do that to get a signal to the TV by my computer in the next room. Only catches are you would have the same thing on both TVs and would have to get up and go in the other room to change channels. Better than 5 bucks more a month though.

Sorry, but that's not nearly worth five bucks a month. Besides, it won't work on any of the new hd boxes, since none of them have coaxial outputs.

Sorry, but that's not nearly worth five bucks a month. Besides, it won't work on any of the new hd boxes, since none of them have coaxial outputs.

The HR boxes have multiple outputs. I have mine connected to my HDTV with HDMI then connected to a RF Modulator via RCA. The RF Modulator feeds another tv via RG-6 coax. All works great. No additional charge. The only thing is that I have to watch the same program on both tv's. I have RF remotes to control the reciever from the other room.

The HR boxes have multiple outputs. I have mine connected to my HDTV with HDMI then connected to a RF Modulator via RCA. The RF Modulator feeds another tv via RG-6 coax. All works great. No additional charge. The only thing is that I have to watch the same program on both tv's. I have RF remotes to control the reciever from the other room.

I forgot you can use a modulator to change composite to coaxial. Never the less, it's not worth five bucks a month. What if you want to watch something different on the other set?

But they DO have component and composite outputs to do this type of thing, provided you wanted to.

I did this for awhile, before I aquired my H20

Jimbo

I have no intention of starting a provider flame war so I mention this only because it sounds like the OP has cable.

Dish Network has a couple models that will serve two TV sets, the second set is connected with coax and is controlled with a RF remote. The receiver has two tuners so each tv can watch different things. No extra charge as long as a phone line or internet (ViP models) is connected.

I have no intention of starting a provider flame war so I mention this only because it sounds like the OP has cable.

Dish Network has a couple models that will serve two TV sets, the second set is connected with coax and is controlled with a RF remote. The receiver has two tuners so each tv can watch different things. No extra charge as long as a phone line or internet (ViP models) is connected.

Yes, but isn't there only one hd output?

No way I could go for that! No hd on the other tv? YUCK!

The majority of households don't even have a single HDTV yet, let alone multiple. (I happen to have 3, and you obviously have more than 1 as well)

So while I agree with your opinion for my situation, the Dish feature would be more than enough for most.

To be fair, the E* solution would be great, but in this situation the 622/722 would count as two of the tuners on your account. For me, and others apparently, one sd tuner does me no good, and I dont want that counted against the four that they traditionally let you have without a big extra cost.

I want to do this. How would i go about getting a rf remote. I have the sd tivo box will it work

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)