Getting colder..What's your FTA (ICE?) bucket list" before winter?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

radio

"On the Air" in MI
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2007
West Central Michigan
Used to be people asked on this site what plans we FTA'ers have for a holiday weekend, or similar.
So, for those of us in the climates that will soon be 'white' or "cold" .....I haven't seen anyone ask yet "What do you need to/Want-to get finished, installed, or operational before winter on your FTA system?

For me, it's one more fixed dish on C-band, maybe one more Ku, and finding why I'm getting E2 on my dish mover before the dish eventually moves on second or third try...plus greasing the whole H-H drive assembly with something that will remain "grease-like" through winter.

Mother Nature's time clock on autumn is ticking.......

I need to touch up the paint on my 8' c band dish mount and lube it. Install a fixed dish for 30W to avoid having to send the motor over there. Possibly get a pole in the ground so I can work on 2nd 8' c band on nicer winter days (if we have any:)).

I enjoy this kind of discussions. Since living in Texas, the year is almost perfect for working on the dish. I'll keep looking online on taking care of my needs but for the time being I'll just have to live vicariously through the bucket list discussion. Good luck to all on completing your goals.

Insert "weather jealousy here"...but keeping in mind the upper midwest has been well cared-for by Mother Nature vs. many other parts of our country in the past few years (overall.) We should be grateful.

I'll be e-mailing a real estate agent to see if I can get in touch with the seller of a house around the corner from me. They're leaving behind a 1m dish and a nice rooftop antenna. OR I could wait to ask the new owner in the springtime, but it's in rough shape and might not be sold by then.

Yeah, it's crunch time to get everything done before that four letter word starts up :( With everything else to prepare for winter, it's "on the list". Fall is so beautiful up here with all the leaves changing color, it's hard to imagine what's coming in a matter of a few weeks. Twin Cities residents may remember the Halloween blizzard from 23 years ago and the weather can change just like that. Going to be winterizing and putting up one more dish very soon!!.

Last edited:
My plans have been shot for the rest of the year cause of the Office. Just working on what's on and in the apartment now cleaning it sucks coming up with new ideas though.

“Winter” as people call it around here is the time I thrive. It’s when I get things done.
The REAL WINTER is about two weeks in the middle of February and that involves a few brief dips into the freezing range, like maybe 31 or even a bone chilling 30 degrees! OH MY!! The rest of the year is miserably hot and unbearable. But the WIMPS around here THINK it’s full tilt winter as soon as the leaves start to turn.
The IDIOTS in Bentonville, Arkansas turn the heaters on in ALL the Walmart stores nationwide, they control the air conditioning/heating from national HQ, local stores have zero control over it.
So already they are cranking the heat up and it’s still insufferably hot outside. Once it starts to dip into the 50’s the locals here start to have panic attacks. And when we get daytime temperatures in the 50’s you would think from local reaction that the end times are upon us. When there’s frost on the ground people lose their minds, schools close, roads close, stores close. Insanity rules.

THESE are the weeks and months when I’m going to be outside in short sleeves and short pants working in the yard, getting stuff done, opening all the doors and windows and enjoying a more bearable climate.
If it ever snowed here I’m sure 3/4 of the area would commit suicide, Jonestown style.

OOH...hold that snow off, please. I'm scheduled to visit MN one week from now for a weekend.
they're not going to get snow in the Twin Cities yet.....Duluth already had snow (an inch or so)

temps next week (as of right now) for Minneapolis say 60s so it should be nice

I don't have any FTA plans because well.....I dont have FTA anymore

Really no plans either. Antenna is working great (being 2-3 miles away from towers helps) :)
Maybe run a new line in the house for a TV in a spare room

Winter where I live in Southern California can be very nice, like last year when we only had about 2 and half weeks worth or it can be long and cold. It can snow here anytime between October and May or it can be warm one day and cold the next. Minimum winter temps here can get as low as 0 but not very often. Strong winds are usually the only thing stopping me from working on a dish although we have had snows storms drop a couple feet of snow.

Any FTA plans, Dee?

Oh absolutely. Since I’m moving in about 6 weeks I have to move ALL my dishes and stuff to the new house and that’s going to be a monumental task.
New poles, new LNBF’s, multiple STB’s, motors, wires, etc.. And everything (the dishes) has to go cramped into a very tiny little 14x30 area.
I am so very grateful that I get to do this all during moderately cooler weather.

Because of the lack of desire by the 'locals', snow has been CANCELLED in Minnesota, until Dec. 24th.
[I WISH anyway]

Ku dish install completed while the weather is still decent. Pole and 'some' PVC went in today. 5 1/2 60 lb bags of concrete! I'm tired. Expecting over an inch of rain tomorrow. Hope the plastic sheeting works!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts