getting D* service

Status
Please reply by conversation.

zigmund555

Original poster
Dec 2, 2003
Hi folks. Just wondering how one goes about getting D* service.

I'm looking at the on sale PVRs for $99.00 at BB/CC which are dual tuners, but is only the one decoder.

We just have the main TV now, but will be getting a second for the bedroom soon (only 1 TV, what am I, nuts?).

So do I buy the PVR and then ask D* to hook it up or what?

Do I need to buy my own dish and second (non-DVR) receiver?

If you do not already gave DirecTv service, you can set up the install through BB/CC when you buy the Tivo unit. You will need a SAT dish with at least a dual LNB and you will have to have two cables running from the dish to your Tivo, since the Tivo is a dual tuner (can receive two programs at the same time.) If you are going to add another unit to the bedroom, you may as well do it at the same time. Some plans don't charge anything to install up to three rooms. You can have a plain receiver in the bedroom, which will cost you an extra five bucks a month.
The extra receiver probably won't cost anything to buy. You might consider going ahead and getting a second DirecTivo for the bedroom. It still won't cost more than five dollars extra per month (I'm pretty sure...)
and then you could record up to four different shows at the same time!
Regardless of what you choose for your second receiver, you'll need to have a multi-switch (sort of a fancy splitter) installed between the dish and the two receivers. I don't believe there is an extra charge for this if done with the initial install.
So basically, you could get a two room install (one Tivo and one plain receiver) including dish, multi-switch, and cables, for $100. OR with two Tivos for $200. Tivo service will cost five bucks per month above your basic monthly service. The extra receiver will cost another five bucks, regardless if it is a Tivo or just a plain receiver, because, I believe, the Tivo charge is per house, not per receiver.

Thanks Kenster,

Now they offer a 2 or 3 room system with DVR for $99 off their website (D*).

Anyone know if the PVR they include is a 2-tuner?

It's looking to me like:
Option A. Buy the PVR from BB/CC for $99 and get a "free" 2-room installation from D*

Option B. Get the 2-room installation w/ PVR from D* directly ($99).

Is there any difference?

At least with A. I'd know I was getting a 2-tuner PVR.

PVR

Zig, the PVR offered through D* is the same as BB/CC, a Direct Tivo. Yes, they are two tuners. Looks like the deal is the same. I bought my original PVR (an Ultimate TV) through BB. Install was quick and flawless.
It's a toss up. One advantage I see for going through BB is that, if your machine has a problem, you can just take it back to the store to swap it out. If you go through D*, you may have to ship it back.
Let us know how it goes.

zigmund555 said:
Hi folks. Just wondering how one goes about getting D* service.

I'm looking at the on sale PVRs for $99.00 at BB/CC which are dual tuners, but is only the one decoder.

We just have the main TV now, but will be getting a second for the bedroom soon (only 1 TV, what am I, nuts?).

So do I buy the PVR and then ask D* to hook it up or what?

Do I need to buy my own dish and second (non-DVR) receiver?

Most on-line dealers offer much lower prices and you can add up to 2 additional standard receivers, installed at no charge.

Tivo Dealer, your prices are good IF you are a new D* customer. As an existing customer I can get the DTivo at BB for $100.
I do have a question for you, though. BB offers the RCA -39 and -40. What's the difference?
I am interested in the RCA because I have been told that they are more compatible with home theater systems in regards to Dolby Digital.
Thanks.

Kenster said:
Tivo Dealer, your prices are good IF you are a new D* customer. As an existing customer I can get the DTivo at BB for $100.
I do have a question for you, though. BB offers the RCA -39 and -40. What's the difference?
I am interested in the RCA because I have been told that they are more compatible with home theater systems in regards to Dolby Digital.
Thanks.

Sorry for the delay in responding. I just returned form the CES Show in Las Vegas.

ALL DIRECTV-TiVo DVR's are exactly the same. They are made in the same factory to the exact same specifications. The menus are the same as well. The reason for the RCA model # change is because when RCA first got into the DVR business they purchased from Hughes as they were waiting for DIRECTV to approve the DRV40 model (even though a they are identical, DIRECTV still put all new receiver through the approval process). The DVR39 and DVR 40 are the identical.

As far as RCA working better in HT systems, I don't think it would make any difference which model you get as they are all exactly the same.

Of course, Samsung and Hughes offer a 100 hr. capacity DVR in addition to the 35 hr. unit.

If you call our company and tell them you are a Satellite Guy USA member we extend the $99.99 price.

The Dell deal is restricted to new subscribers who sign a 1 yr. new activation programming agreement with Dell. Much better deals are available.

The Dell deal is restricted to new subscribers who sign a 1 yr. new activation programming agreement with Dell. Much better deals are available

As long as I've subscribed to satellite service (5 years) the 1 year commitment is standard for promo deals no matter where you buy equipment. It's to prevent piracy and or making a profit on selling equipment below market value.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)