getting HD Local feeds in Canada (Toronto)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

zcarguy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 22, 2007
Does anyone know if there are any dtv HD local markets on 103a who's spotbeam reaches Toronto. My signal levels are as follows:

101 - good al all tp except 26 (spotbeam) most are in 90's
110 - 80+ good an all 3 tp
119 - all tp good except 25 and 29 are 0

103b - all tp are between 70-90

103a
1-6: 85 0 82 0 81 01
17: 0

99b
1-6: 38 0 0 0 0 0

Thanks,

Z

HD-LIL's

See this map from DBSTALK.

Google Maps

Buffalo, Cleveland and Detroit are on 103a and are probable the transponders you are seeing a signal from. I'd guess you can get Buffalo and Cleveland for sure. Detroit could be if you are well west of Toronto.

Doctor j

Thanks,

I am actually about 20 miles north of Toronto. Cleveland sounds great, but how can I tell for sure. Anyone in cleveland want to share thier transponder readings on 103a. How can I tell if I will be ok with no signals on tp 2 ,4, 6, & 17. I have to be sure that those locals are on 1,3 & 5.

Thanks,

Z

Detroit is 4 & 6 on 103A - so you are NOT getting Detroit.

I'm guessing you're seeing Buffalo?

That would make sense. But i am hoping i want to confirm that with anyone in Buffalo. Also i was hoping to have the option of moving to Cleveland if there locals are on 1 ,3, or 5.

Anyone from either of these markets want to share tp readings?

Thanks,

Z

See this map from DBSTALK.

Google Maps

Buffalo, Cleveland and Detroit are on 103a and are probable the transponders you are seeing a signal from. I'd guess you can get Buffalo and Cleveland for sure. Detroit could be if you are well west of Toronto.

Doctor j

Hey guys,

I really need your help before i take the plunge.

I saw a couple of members from cleveland post thier signals for 103a, they had slightly higher numbers on tp's 1,3, & 5 (high 80's low 90's) where i think the cleveland locals are carried. In addition to that they add low signals 35-50 % on tp's 2 4, & 6 so i doubt the cleveland locals are on those tp's. From that I am assuming the cleveland local hd channels are on the tp's I am getting a good signal on? I want to call to move but I want to be sure before i do it because i will be stuck in cleveland for a while. I know i will get the SD feeds no problem but I really want thier hd feeds. What is your opinion?

Are my signals from the same spotbeam as those in cleveland? Could my numbers on tp's 1,3, &5 be coming from a different spot beam?

Thanks,

Z

Some of them should be from another market - most only have 2 transponders, some only one.

I would start a new thread called - Buffalo area people help me please :)

Hopefully someone can give you their transponders and signal so you can narrow it down some more.

With these spotbeams there is no easy way..

lets assume people in buffalo have similar readings. that really wont tell me if i am getting signals from cleveland. i will see what i can find out.

thanks

Z

I'm in Buffalo and can confirm your readings look similar to mine. Our HD locals are on 103a TP 3 (my reading is in the high 90s for this TP). Our SD locals are on 119 TP 23. We don't get anything off or 99b that I know of.

I'm in Buffalo and can confirm your readings look similar to mine. Our HD locals are on 103a TP 3 (my reading is in the high 90s for this TP). Our SD locals are on 119 TP 23. We don't get anything off or 99b that I know of.

Thanks Mark,

How did you determine that the Buffalo locals were on tp 3? I am pretty sure there is no problem with me picking up the Buffalo locals. The problem is I would rather have Cleveland for 2 reasons. Firstly I want SD locals on 101 so i dont need to install a new dish at my cottage and secondly if i choose cleveland i get CBS right away. I dont think CBS is available in buffalo yet. Correct me if i am wrong.

Based on this map what other locals could i be getting besides Buffalo?

Google Maps

I know i am not getting detroit - so i think Cleveland is the closest. I know i have the signal strenght on the neccesary transponders. I am just not sure if those signals are from a different spotbeam.

Z

I figured it out a while ago about 103a TP 3 for our HD locals. I think I read it somewhere else. Can't remember exactly. You are correct, the only HD locals we get in Buffalo, is 2 (NBC), 7 (ABC) and 29 (FOX). We don't get 4 (CBS) due to 4's owner, LIN TV, playing hardball with D*. We due get the SD version of 4 (CBS). In all, we get 7 SD locals from the 119 bird.

I'm not familiar with the Cleveland locals.

Just for everyone's info - I can now confirm that Cleveland locals come in fine here north of the boarder. Not telling anyone to do this but those of you waitng for CBS in HD might consider a "move"

Thanks for everyone's input

Z

Same readings

Finally, someone else, I am in the same market(Toronto) and get the Buffalo stations just fine. I notice the same readings on 99, where I can get no more than 40% signal strength, i get all the Buffalo stations, I do not get Sunday Ticket in HD, which I am supposed to get. Can you shed some light?

All the transponders on the 99 sat are spot beam, so it's not uncommon for you to get low readings on it if you are not in a targeted area. Since you are getting 40%, you must be on the fringe of a targeted area. If you're not missing any channels you should be getting, then I wouldn't worry about. I don't worry about 99 as I don't think it applies to Buffalo.

I live in Toronto and run a subscription from the Maryland area. I get every channel, except the local networks in HD. Is there something I can do to receive them. If I change my subscription to buffalo or elsewhere, will I receive everything including the local networks in HD?

thanks

I live in Toronto and run a subscription from the Maryland area. I get every channel, except the local networks in HD. Is there something I can do to receive them. If I change my subscription to buffalo or elsewhere, will I receive everything including the local networks in HD?

thanks

If you move your service address (must do via phone with CSR) to Bufallo you would get 3 of the 4 in HD.

If you get Cleveland - which may be tough reading the above, on the edge of the beam, you would get all 4.

It looks like Toronto is too far for the Detroit beam.

.....I am in the same market(Toronto) and get the Buffalo stations just fine......... I do not get Sunday Ticket in HD, which I am supposed to get. Can you shed some light?

I find this halarious! "I do not get Sunday Ticket in HD, which I am supposed to get. " In Canada, pulling down the US based DBS; which is technically against the law; right? Yet you are questioning something you think you are supposed to get? I just find that funny.

Finally, someone else, I am in the same market(Toronto) and get the Buffalo stations just fine. I notice the same readings on 99, where I can get no more than 40% signal strength, i get all the Buffalo stations, I do not get Sunday Ticket in HD, which I am supposed to get. Can you shed some light?

You should call Directv and tell them you can't get the channels you want to. Make sure to tell them where you live. See if they can help.

I hope the reader detects the sarcasm above.

Everyone has their own opinion on moving or international people wanting US tv, but why would we want to steer people to straight trouble.

NFLST is over now, it is an old post. He probally didn't have superfan, since he did have NFL in sd, but not hd.

Uh no! It is 100% illegal for DirecTV to provide signal to Canadian residents; therefore if you lie to obtain said services, then you ARE violating the law. If you as a person choose to hold some law breaking less than other, then that is your moral compass hard at work. BUT the fact is, it is still illegal. It is simply one step above actually HACKING a box to decode signals you do not pay for.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)