Getting HD locals from another area

GweeDo767

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 9, 2004
Plainville, KS
I am getting a new HDTV next week and am looking into my HD options from Dish. Right now I get my locals from Wichita, KS but Dish doesn't carry their HD signals. Wichita is 300 miles from me so I also can't get their signal over the air. I called Dish today to see if I could get my locals out of Kansas City (they have HD over Dish there) but was told I couldn't. Is there anything I can do since I can't get HD OTA?

Would I have to install the Dish 1000 myself then since they obviously wouldn't be installing at the service address?

I'm not sure how the spot beam is there, but remember you will no longer be receiving any of the SD locals from the Wichati area and will only get the non-HD channels from that spotbeam. You may still be able to get all, but I'm not sure without looking up and I'm too lazy right now. ;)

Yes, I understand the HD locals aren't on beam. However, as I said before, the SD locals (including the non big 4 channels) are not. So that is what my warning was about.

okay i see what you are saying now. the "mover" should test the signal strength on transponder 18 from 110 degrees (used for kansas city sd locals). if it's no good, then he will only be able to pick up the big 4 in HD via dish network. for anything else (pbs, mytv, cw, etc), the mover would have to throw up an antenna and pull them ota in wichita.

I lived 165 miles from KC, before I moved there on 12/1, and I had no problem getting all the KC locals. Must be a wide footprint.

Heck I can get TP18 here in Minneapolis. the same spotbeam has Austin/Rochester/Mason City locals (TP18 spotbeam 24)

I've thought about doing this too. I live outside of Gainesville, FL and our local FOX station is not in HD. There are a lot of unhappy people around here since the Gators are playing in the National Championship Game on FOX next Monday. Do you think the Miami spotbeam would reach up here? Is there a map I could look at or something? Also, if I did change my service address, could I call the next day and change it back or would they get suspicious?

you could call the next hour and change it back. they just don't care.

miami locals are on spotbeam #1 at 110 degrees. here is the map you want:

http://ekb.dbstalk.com/E10spots/e10spots.pdf

gainesville is probably too far but you can know for sure before doing the "move" by checking the signal strength on transponder 12 from 110 degrees.

if you have hd service from dish network outside of gainesville then you have a dish pointed at 61.5 degrees, right? If true, you could "move" to NYC, Boston, Philly, or Washington DC and get the HD Fox out of any of these markets.

you could call the next hour and change it back. they just don't care.

miami locals are on spotbeam #1 at 110 degrees. here is the map you want:

http://ekb.dbstalk.com/E10spots/e10spots.pdf

gainesville is probably too far but you can know for sure before doing the "move" by checking the signal strength on transponder 12 from 110 degrees.

if you have hd service from dish network outside of gainesville then you have a dish pointed at 61.5 degrees, right? If true, you could "move" to NYC, Boston, Philly, or Washington DC and get the HD Fox out of any of these markets.

Oh, those aren't on spotbeam? The reason I thought about Miami is that I have a sister who lives down there, so I would just use her address. Where would I find an address to use for one of these cities or should I just make something up?

Does E* really not care about this? I just don't want to get in trouble. If you people are sure of it, I may try just for the game Monday.

there are no spotbeams on 61.5. everything is CONUS.

for a service address, use the power of the internet to find a fast food restaurant in the desired market and then add a nonexistent apartment number to the address. when done, test the address here before making the call:

https://customersupport.dishnetwork.com/customernetqual/prepAddress.do

regarding your second post -- they truly do not care. happy customers do not switch to cable. now, if you call them up and say you want to change your service address so you can watch the game in HD next week they won't allow it because they can get in trouble with the FCC. but if you just say you moved all of your equipment (dish and all receivers) to your "vacation home" in __________ then it'll go through with no questions asked.

Last edited:
Hey bowens....I'm not too far from you (I live in Newberry)...and I tried to "move" to Miami with no success. I get a good signal on Transponder 12 on 110, but after posting some info here, others told me that I must be receiving the spotbeam for Mobile. When I changed my address to Miami all the locals just had black screens. So, I guess moving to one of the markets not on a spot would be your only option. Just remember, if you do that you will lose Sunshine and FSN.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)