Getting HD locals from another area

I have 2 811 receivers and want to get HD Networks. I receive 110/119/129 from Dish 1000. Whats a good place to 'move' that will support Mpeg-2?

I live in a canyon east of Lubbock. I receive no OTA signal nor is cable available. I do receive locals from E*. I would like to receive network HD. I tried the signal strength on transponder 31 at 110 degrees for Dallas HD and it was 75. However, the signal strength on Transponders 20 and 29 at 110 degrees for Dallas SD read 0. Next I looked at Albuquerque , NM . They have 3 HD networks on CONUS at 129 degrees and their SD channels are on transponder 27 at 110 degrees. I receive a 59-60 reading on that transponder. Is that sufficient to get them?

a signal strength in the low 60s is too low -- you'll get the "acquiring signal" screen everytime a cloud moves overhead.

sounds like a "move" to dallas is in order but then you'll get no SD locals and since OTA is not an option you'll have to go without PBS, MyTV, The CW, and the rest of the locals that aren't available via HD. if that isn't acceptable, then you're stuck with lubbock sd locals.

Made the call and it went very easy. Unfortunately the Spotbeam for Portland doesn't reach me. Tried doing several check switches and no luck. Called again the same day and put back to my billing address with no hassle, so nothing lost and nothing gained. One thing to note...I did lose channel guide info for the Seattle OTA channels while I was moved.

I live in a canyon east of Lubbock. I receive no OTA signal nor is cable available. I do receive locals from E*. I would like to receive network HD. I tried the signal strength on transponder 31 at 110 degrees for Dallas HD and it was 75. However, the signal strength on Transponders 20 and 29 at 110 degrees for Dallas SD read 0. Next I looked at Albuquerque , NM . They have 3 HD networks on CONUS at 129 degrees and their SD channels are on transponder 27 at 110 degrees. I receive a 59-60 reading on that transponder. Is that sufficient to get them?
I believe they moved to Transponder 7... its a little stronger...

Dallas HD locals are on spotbeam that does not come this far west. Albuquerque HD Locals are OK but no CBS=no Superbowl on HD.

a signal strength in the low 60s is too low -- you'll get the "acquiring signal" screen everytime a cloud moves overhead.

sounds like a "move" to dallas is in order but then you'll get no SD locals and since OTA is not an option you'll have to go without PBS, MyTV, The CW, and the rest of the locals that aren't available via HD. if that isn't acceptable, then you're stuck with lubbock sd locals.

Thanks y'all for the input. It looks like I will stick with Lubbock locals(too many Texas Tech men and lady basketball games would be missed) and the NPS distants for now( extra sporting events and recording options) . Will hope that NPS or someone will add HD distants now that I am qualified.

confused newly moved newbie

I just "moved" from Montgomery Al. to Atlanta Ga. Am I going to be able to get the Atlanta HD locals? Nothing has changed on my TV except I am now in the eastern time zone - LOL. I have 110, 119 and 129. signal strengh of 89, 06 and 109.

Is my situation hopeless or is there another place to "move?" I have no local HD and only nbc ota....thanks!

If you happened to live in Puerto Rico where there are no HD locals...??? Anyone? I have 3 dishes 110, 119, 61.5...

If you move to an conus HD market and are outside the local spotbeam, you will lose CW correct? Can't you subscribe to the superstation pack and get it anyway?

If you move to an conus HD market and are outside the local spotbeam, you will lose CW correct? Can't you subscribe to the superstation pack and get it anyway?

If you move to NYC you will get WPIX and WWOR, they are not on spot beam. IN some local markets you may not be able to subscribe to supers. Run the address thru Dish address checker.

Pick an address to move to that is a long way from the city but still in the dma. ex. Move to LA DMA but pick a city 75 miles from LA. You would probably then qualify for supers.

One thing to note...I did lose channel guide info for the Seattle OTA channels while I was moved.

Has this happened to everyone? I am contemplating a move for timeshifting purposes, but it was based on being able to get my locals via OTA w/ guide info still. So if I don't subscribe to my DMA's locals, I won't get the guide info on OTA, right? I would just have to create manual recordings based on time?

I don't know why you would lose you ota stations. I moved to a city 90 miles away and I get the ota guide information for my real locals. Both cities are covered by Dish up on the satellite.

I have a newbie question- does this "move" have to be done by a phone call, or can it be done through the website? Thanks.

You have to call if you want immediate service for your locals. Some people do it by email or by writing but I personally wouldn't trust that method. JUst call and say to the csr: We just moved to ( the new address you select + apartment #) . I installed the dish myself and I would like the locals for ( the new town with locals)- since I am eligible. Keep my billing address - (what it really is )and my phone number is not changing. Less than 5 minutes later you should have the locals you want as long as you are within spotbeam range.

Well, I was considering the KC market, but it is on 129 and my system shows 0 signal for TP1- others appear, but show "Wrong Sat- Echostar 110 West" with good signal. Where can I find the spot maps to find something that will work? Thanks again.

are you sure you have a dish pointed at 129 degrees (ie, can you tune to channel 9901?)?

spotbeam maps are here:

http://ekb.dbstalk.com/dishlist.htm

the map for the satellite at 110 degrees is here:

http://ekb.dbstalk.com/E10spots/e10spots.pdf

there are no spotbeams at 129 degrees. it's the kansas city hd locals that are on transponder 1 at 129 degrees. the kansas city sd locals are on transponder 18, spotbeam 24, at 110 degrees.

I have a newbie question......I reside in Tennessee.......About three years ago (with the assistance of a local retailer) I was fortunate to receive a distant network feed from the St Louis market (not legit of course).........I enjoyed these until some demographic changes occurred which led to my demise...........Since this time I have upgraded my existing equipment and currently have a Dish 1000 system / single dish.........I currently receive my HD locals from the Nashville market (located on TR 13 / 129 degrees / E*5).........I was looking to possibly "move" back to the St Louis market (located on TR 13 / 118 degrees / AMC 16).........When I go to check the availability on my receiver it show no signal strength.........Since I was able to view and enjoy these at one time I am curious as to why I would not be able to view them currently........Does the HD factor play a role in this??? Any clarification or suggestions would be greatly appreciated......Thanks

St Louis locals are on a spot beam and St Louis HD Locals are on 118.75 for which you need a special LNB.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)