Getting HD locals from another area

I am definitely referring to HD Locals only.......Any idea which particular LNB would be required to make this work.......I do not in any way profess to be satellite savy, but based off of observation, my current Dish 1000 has three different LNB's.....Any help would be greatly appreciated.......Thanks

your current dish1000 does have 3 LNBs. it sees signals from the satellites at 110, 119, and 129 degrees.

the dish1000+ sees signals from 110, 119, 129, and 118.75. the HD saint louis local channels are available at 118.75. so you will never be able to get HD locals from saint louis without a different dish. the satellite at 118.75 degrees can be picked up nationwide so if you got a dish1000+ you could "move" to saint louis and get their HD locals.

if you look here:

http://ekb.dbstalk.com/dishlist.htm

you'll notice that a lot of the chinese language channels in the 680s and 690s come from the satellite at 118.75. you could probably get dish network to come and install a dish 1000+ if you signed up for a chinese language pack that requires these channels. these channels are mirrored on 121 so they may want to send you a 121 superdish instead. you would have to insist on the dish1000+ (say your wife won't tolerate two dishes).

of course, they would probably charge you for the equipment upgrade and i'm not sure if they would require you to keep the chinese package for any length of time. so it might be more cost effective to just go and buy a dish1000+ from sadoun.com or some other site and install it yourself. if you don't feel comfortable with that, find a local dish retailer and see if you can strike a deal with one of their installers -- you pay him some money and he'll come set it up on his day off.

Thanks digiblur for the info.........The link you provided displays the exact same dish I have installed..........Do I need to have it realigned so that I can receive these stations? It still puzzles me that my receiver displays no signal strength.........any suggestions??

thanks psnarula........my concern is my signal strength.....knowing that I have this dish is ti just a matter of realignment?? Please advise

Thanks digiblur for the info.........The link you provided displays the exact same dish I have installed..........Do I need to have it realigned so that I can receive these stations? It still puzzles me that my receiver displays no signal strength.........any suggestions??

You might want to look again... I bet you have the Dish1000 not the Dish1000+

you are eligible to "move" to st. louis if and only if you can tune to channel 9903. i agree with digiblur -- unless you signed up for some foreign language channels there is no reason you would have a dish 1000+.

I don't know why you would lose you ota stations. I moved to a city 90 miles away and I get the ota guide information for my real locals. Both cities are covered by Dish up on the satellite.

It did happen to me. In my case, I moved from Seattle to Portland which is covered by a spotbeam off the 110 sat that I thought I'd be able to get but found myself out of the footprint. Apparently because the move failed to pull in the Portland locals the system decided not to give me programing info on the Seattle locals. Moving to a Conus city seems to insure success in getting both from what I'm reading here. I'd do that, but I'll have to figure a way not to lose my RSN.

you are eligible to "move" to st. louis if and only if you can tune to channel 9903. i agree with digiblur -- unless you signed up for some foreign language channels there is no reason you would have a dish 1000+.

you are correct.......I just arrived home and looked to discover that I only have a dish 1000.......I checked and was unable to tune to channel 9903........If I purchase the dish and "move" to St Louis I would then be guaranteed the locals.......Correct??? Another question.....while looking at the link provided it listed the dish with or without a DPP$$ swithc............would I need a DPP44 switch or will my current set up work......I have to plead ignorance......I am clueless as to what switch is currently on this system.........

I think I'd find me a nice 129W market to go to instead of having to buy a Dish1000+ and DPP44.

I currently have such but I am really wanting the St Louis market.......I am assuming by your response that a DPP44 would need to be purchased as well? By installing the aforementioned dish / switch / and "moving" should allow for those channels to be viewed?????

I currently have such but I am really wanting the St Louis market.......I am assuming by your response that a DPP44 would need to be purchased as well? By installing the aforementioned dish / switch / and "moving" should allow for those channels to be viewed?????

A standard Dish1000 doesn't have a DPP44 installed with it. You can find out by digging around on the receiver for the switch matrix settings. It will tell you what kind of switch you have.

But yes, once you have a DPP44 installed and a Dish1000+, you'll be able to see 119/110/129/118.7, along with the TP's for the St. Louis locals.

A standard Dish1000 doesn't have a DPP44 installed with it. You can find out by digging around on the receiver for the switch matrix settings. It will tell you what kind of switch you have.

But yes, once you have a DPP44 installed and a Dish1000+, you'll be able to see 119/110/129/118.7, along with the TP's for the St. Louis locals.

I was unable to find the menu for such on my receiver (VIP 622)......looked on the back of my receiver and on the my copy of installation and it just shows a DPPlus........Really a mute point I guess........If another switch is required so be it........My current dish is a roof mount.......I am assuming the same bracket can be used.......just a matter of switching out dishes and aligning??

The link that provides info about the DPP44 states it is compatible with the following dual tuner receivers.....942 / 625 / 921 / 721 / 522 / 322.....I have a VIP622........Is that going to pose a problem????? Hate to keep coming with the questions.......but this is out of my league and i need solid and accurate information.......thanks

The link that provides info about the DPP44 states it is compatible with the following dual tuner receivers.....942 / 625 / 921 / 721 / 522 / 322.....I have a VIP622........Is that going to pose a problem????? Hate to keep coming with the questions.......but this is out of my league and i need solid and accurate information.......thanks

It should have the VIP line listed too.

It should have the VIP line listed too.

The date listed in the PDF manual is 08/23/2004.........I would say a little outdated..........I was wondering if anyone knew for certain that it is compatible with the VIP622???

Move from BG

I live in Bowling Green, KY and was hoping someone could give me some info on "moving" to Nashville. I checked and the Nashville stations look to be on 129, TP13. I get 70% strength (raining today). Is that good enough? If so, what do I do? Thanks.

a signal strength of 70 is fine. it's not 70% -- it's just 70. on certain transponders you'll probably have signal strengths above 100.

I live in Bowling Green, KY and was hoping someone could give me some info on "moving" to Nashville. I checked and the Nashville stations look to be on 129, TP13. I get 70% strength (raining today). Is that good enough? If so, what do I do? Thanks.

I was unable to find the menu for such on my receiver (VIP 622)......looked on the back of my receiver and on the my copy of installation and it just shows a DPPlus........Really a mute point I guess........If another switch is required so be it........My current dish is a roof mount.......I am assuming the same bracket can be used.......just a matter of switching out dishes and aligning??

to find what switch you have:

look at box h in menu 6-1-3.

alternatively, go to menu 6-1-1 and run the "check switch" test. when it finishes, it should show you what switch you currently have.

the DPP44 switch is definitely needed for the dish 1000+. here is proof:

http://tech.dishnetwork.com/departmental_content/TechPortal/content/tech/techdepoDish1000Plus.shtml

the DPP44 switch is absolutely compatible with your ViP622 receiver. proof:

http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Products/Dishnetwork/Switches/DPP44-switch.htm

the only concerns with the dpp44 switch are legacy receivers (which the ViP625 most certainly is not). also note that if you use a separator you can feed both tuners on your dual tuner receiver with only one coax line coming out of the dpp44 switch.

re your mounting bracket -- i believe i have read somewhere that the dish 1000+ requires separate mounting brackets. call up a dish retailer or find a contact number for some of the advertisers at the top of the page (like sadoun.com) that sell this equipment.

in short -- get your hands on a dish1000+, a dpp44 switch, and a dishpro plus separator (unless you don't mind running two lines from the dish to your receiver). then pay somebody to install it (unless you know what you are doing -- peaking the signals can be tricky) and then "move" to saint louis. it is definitely possible.

note that you'll lose all of your current local channels and your current RSN (which will be replaced with the Saint Louis RSN).

Last edited:
to find what switch you have:

look at box h in menu 6-1-3.

alternatively, go to menu 6-1-1 and run the "check switch" test. when it finishes, it should show you what switch you currently have.

the DPP44 switch is definitely needed for the dish 1000+. here is proof:

http://tech.dishnetwork.com/departmental_content/TechPortal/content/tech/techdepoDish1000Plus.shtml

the DPP44 switch is absolutely compatible with your ViP622 receiver. proof:

http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Products/Dishnetwork/Switches/DPP44-switch.htm

the only concerns with the dpp44 switch are legacy receivers (which the ViP625 most certainly is not). also note that if you use a separator you can feed both tuners on your dual tuner receiver with only one coax line coming out of the dpp44 switch.

re your mounting bracket -- i believe i have read somewhere that the dish 1000+ requires separate mounting brackets. call up a dish retailer or find a contact number for some of the advertisers at the top of the page (like sadoun.com) that sell this equipment.

in short -- get your hands on a dish1000+, a dpp44 switch, and a dishpro plus separator (unless you don't mind running two lines from the dish to your receiver). then pay somebody to install it (unless you know what you are doing -- peaking the signals can be tricky) and then "move" to saint louis. it is definitely possible.

note that you'll lose all of your current local channels and your current RSN (which will be replaced with the Saint Louis RSN).

Thanks for the information.......BIG help........not being satellite savy, could you please elaborate / clarify the need for an item called a dishpro seperator........thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)