Getting Jealous of Directv?

If they had the channels up now and the equivalent of the 622 or Tivo I would probably be tempted, but HR20 is not a fun unit to use and it's limitations are not worth the extra potential channels (imo).

What problems have you had with your HR20? Mines been flawless. :)

ITs ALL ABOUT THE MATH FOLKs . . .

Most of us Sign Contracts with either Dish or Direct TV. When your contract is up, I encourage everyone to do a detailed comparison and score it:

(everyones formula should be different)

+ HD Channels that you want and need and must haves
+ VOD SD offereings
+ HD VOD offerings
+ the HD DVR requirements for your House
+ PRICE
+ all discounts for switching (they can be large)
- the Wife factor if switching as the channel line up and DVR use will be all different.

= Score, then you pick the service that is best for you.

For me, my dish contract will be up last this Fall. If they do not have a Good VOD offering (which is a very high ranking score on my list of requirements) and if they do not have Sci Fi HD (one of the highest ranking channel scores on my list) . . . .
with all the free and discounted offerings Direct TV will give me to switch, I will LEAVE DISH.

Then in Two Years my Direct TV contract will end and I will do it all again and decide. Who knows maybe in Two Years cable will be better has it will be 100% all HD on demand or something totally new invented.

One things for sure, Sat Guys will help me in my research. There is so much good info here.

For me, my dish contract will be up last this Fall. If they do not have a Good VOD offering (which is a very high ranking score on my list of requirements) and if they do not have Sci Fi HD (one of the highest ranking channel scores on my list) . . . .
with all the free and discounted offerings Direct TV will give me to switch, I will LEAVE DISH.
For me, a DVR=VOD.

I type in the name of the program, click on the showing, the DVR records it, I watch it.

As far as SciFi-HD, I would be willing to bet a large sum that E* adds it within 30 days of launch, and a small sum that E* adds it within 1 day of launch.

(Back a few years ago, I would have bet a large sum that E* would add it at launch. The now-retired former President of EchoStar was a major Star Trek fan, and any programming related to science fiction was sure to be added, and given a little extra bandwidth. ;) )

Whats it been? 4 years since Directv started talking about their so called plans to launch over 100 HD channels and be the HD leader.

Meanwhile, DISH Network has not promised anything and have been adding more and more HD channels to their lineup every few months.

Let Directv launch their HD channels on the 15th of whatever year they finally do launch their channels and then wait to see what DISH Network does to counter it.

Its a win win situation and after all the money DISH has invested in their HD customers, I doubt they will let Directv steal the show overnight.

I have a strong feeling that the day Directv launches their package, Dish will then turn around and launch additional channels if Directv has something Dish does not have.

I dunno, unless D* pulls an MPEG4 Tivo with external HDD support... I love the 622. Good DVR and they've been adding features and working out bugs. It's a very solid DVR and i've had mine since Feb '06.

West coast feeds are a waste as most channels repeat their movies a few times a day if not multiple times a week. I also care not about sports so any additional sports channels are not important for me.

I definitely will be jealous of DirecTV when it actually has more HD channels than DISH. Until then no. Not a knock on anyone just a statement that one side has been promising a lot but has not delivered much yet and the other has been holding its cards close to its vest.

DirecTV is really marketing these upcoming supposed HD channels hard. They even had someone go on Wikipedia and add the HD channels list under the entry for DirecTV. They must be hurting for new blood, er I mean new customers.

Show me the "salsa" and then I will be jealous if I do not have it. Right I am quite happy with the 622 especially with the USB support. This is all I need for VOD. :D

"As an example, if the Dolans have anything to say about it, there is NO way either D* or E* is getting MSG-HD or FSNY-HD ANY TIME in the foreseeable future."

But the pressure must be mounting for them to get HD versions of these channels out to please the advertisers. No?

There is no evidence of that. They've continued to trumpet the "only on cable" nature of FSNY-HD and MSG-HD. That's their competitive advantage and it has been for a while now (and why they can continue to offer the relatively paltry number of channels they do).

I wouldn't be surprised if FSNY-HD and MSG-HD are uplinked, but for use only with the PPV packages (LP and CI) and even then not in the NYC metro area. Even CSN-Philly is CARRIED by D* (as I remember) but only when they're broadcasting a game that's on a PPV package.

=NLK=

I moved from Directv to Dish last Feb for instant HD content gratification, and have never ever regretted it. Since I joined, Dish has added new HD channels, sans a lot of promises....just nice surprises! Plus, the capabilities of my 622 are far superior to my TivoHD I had with Directv, and to their new HD DVR. I am disappointed with Dish's lip sync issues on several channels, but overall, no way I am switching back any time soon.

Why get jealous? If their programming package is so great, just switch for crying out loud.

What I don't get is why the D* fanboys out there 'expect' everyone to be jealous...its really getting kind of stupid out there in the blogosphere...

Why get jealous? If their programming package is so great, just switch for crying out loud.

What I don't get is why the D* fanboys out there 'expect' everyone to be jealous...its really getting kind of stupid out there in the blogosphere...

Well, if it makes D* fans feel better because they have this thread in the Dish section, we can't deny them what little joy they have with the few HD channels they get.

:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts