Getting my roof replaced. What about my dishes.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

stevelite

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 5, 2004
Hello All,

I am getting my roof replaced sometimes this week or next week.
Roofer said they are going to take down dishes, but are not going to put them back up. Of course I don't expect that they do.

Do you know if I call DirectTV will provide re-installation of dishes free of charge ? If not do you know how much it would cost?

I am thinking that maybe this time around if I should have them poled to ground instead of on the roof? Can you provide general figure how much it would cost to mount 2 dishes (two poles) on ground. Thanks.

interesting....when my mom had her house reroofed the roof guys put the dish back up. I only had to tweak it a little bit but they put the dish back up (Slimline 3). Guess its different for each roofer

If I have the tool or know how to realign I could attempt myself.
I can go buy some cement ready mix and poles from local hardware store and do the installation myself. How difficult is it to realign them for someone who has never done.

I would not put them back on my new roof. Pole mount is the way to go. Possibility you may be able to upgrade to a slimline dish depending on your receiver models & do away with the wing. It is worth a phone call to find out. Price wise, I would guesstimate $150.00 or less.

I would expect the roofer to put them back up ad he has to guarantee your roof won't leak. What I would not expect the roofer to do is be responcible for peaking your dish again.

As far as getting the dish repointed I would see if it's covered under the Directv protection plan extended warranty that they sell for 6 per month

If you're planning on poling it in the yard that's fine, but if you want the thing back up on the roof now is the time to do it right. Not only can you be assured of it being mounted directly to a stud beam, they should also be able to make it virtually leak proof by either location or ice/water shielding. You will also want an access pipe right next to your dish so you can feed your cables cleanly into your attic. The pipe should look like an upside down J so bugs & the elements can't get into it. Once again, the roofers should be able to make this leak proof as well. If you go with another roof mount for LOS issues, don't lose this golden opportunities. Also make sure the access pipe can handle as many cables as you plan on feeding down into the attic.

if your pole is perfectly plumb now, then it will be fairly easy to get it locked back on. you look at a fixed point across teh dish where it is. look from teh pole right over the top lining up the LNB with a tree/light pole/window/etc. then install it on a new plumb pole and point it at the exact same place, all you should have to do is twist it left to right to point it there. now pull up the signal meter on one of the rx, and peak it in left to right. once peaked, adjust up/down a little to see if it peaks more. peak it again, then retest the left to right. if no better peak, then lock it all down, otherwise repeat until it won't peak further.

this is the down and dirty way to do it without the handheld tester the install techs have. but it works, i have installed many a dish this way. the 5 lnb models are a pain to do, the oval dishes are easy. i do have a peak meter, but it is for general sat installs and does not tell me exactly what sat i am on, but is very useful. i can't remember where i got it from, but it was about 30.00. i had to have it for some ka sat links at work.

I would not put them back on my new roof. Pole mount is the way to go. Possibility you may be able to upgrade to a slimline dish depending on your receiver models & do away with the wing. It is worth a phone call to find out. Price wise, I would guesstimate $150.00 or less.

What the Dish is not good enough to go on your new roof?

Seriously, I hear this every day from people who get new roofs and I don't get it. Its ok to install a Dish on an older roof, but not a new roof?

So you get a new roof and then got to wait a few years till its old again to be able to mount a Dish on it?

When i had DirecTV install the AU-9 Slimline, they used (i think its called) mastic tape on the bottom of the mast arm assembly in order to prevent leaks, then screwed the arm down thru the tape to (i guess) prevent a leak from occuring. haven't had any problems with it yet.

when i installed a couple of AU-9's myself, i went and bought some of this tape at home depot. wasnt too expensive but if it worked for them, i aint gonna knock it.

Your talking about pitch pads. Yea, we use them all the time and they work great! Its cheaper than Silicone and leaves a nice clean looking job.

As long as your into a stud, then there are no probems with the Dish moving later

What the Dish is not good enough to go on your new roof?

Seriously, I hear this every day from people who get new roofs and I don't get it. Its ok to install a Dish on an older roof, but not a new roof?

So you get a new roof and then got to wait a few years till its old again to be able to mount a Dish on it?

Come on now, old or new it doesn't matter. If the op has the opportunity to get the dishes off his roof, well then why not? I personally don't have a problem with roof mounts, I use them as a last resort when there is no los otherwise or other suitable location. Many installs get roof mounts even if there is other possible mounting locations including pole mounts. My own preference is to not have a roof mount, I give my customers options also. If they request it, sure I'll do it. It's all about personal preference & los, nothing more.

interesting....when my mom had her house reroofed the roof guys put the dish back up. I only had to tweak it a little bit but they put the dish back up (Slimline 3). Guess its different for each roofer

whats a slimline 3?

also ive used non-penetrating roof mount often and alot of them for apartment buildings that dont want holes. its what i got for my house without having cement in my ground for pole mount, NOR have holes in my house, and very handy to move to another place or re-roof.

reference: http://www.groundcontrol.com/images/12_meter_satellite_dish.jpg

ODU relocate per DirecTV is $99. I would guess if you have 2 dishes it maybe more. Also alot of the 2 dish markets are being upgraded to the Slimline 3. So you may want to check into that as well. Either way if you want a pole mount expect a charge of $75 if you have a LOS from the roof.

Roof mounts done properly should not leak. Pintch pad or the other similar products don't fail over time. A new roof is the best time to put a mount up. THe asphalt in the shingle is still fresh and will seal around the screws as well.

ODU relocate per DirecTV is $99. I would guess if you have 2 dishes it maybe more. Also alot of the 2 dish markets are being upgraded to the Slimline 3. So you may want to check into that as well. Either way if you want a pole mount expect a charge of $75 if you have a LOS from the roof.

Roof mounts done properly should not leak. Pintch pad or the other similar products don't fail over time. A new roof is the best time to put a mount up. THe asphalt in the shingle is still fresh and will seal around the screws as well.

for roof mounts. i use bishop tape. works wonder and if its a crappy OLD roof i double layer the bishop tape.

I had my roof replaced last year after hail damage. The roofer just reinstalled the dish but I had DirecTV come out to peak it. If I remember correctly I paid $50.00 for DirecTV's service call.

don't have the roofer put the dish back up, i go to atleast 1 service call a month were they put it back up and something is wrong, especially Ka/Ku, and if you put it on a pole make sure you have line of sight for where you will put it

Okay, I have decided to get dishes off my roof.
DirecTV quoted $50 service call and $75 each pole.
I have located an installer who will put up two poles (slimline, and international) for a reasonable price lower than DirecTV.

Peace of mind not worrying about putting holes on the roof, priceless.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)