Getting power to OTA antenna

SKrueger

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 18, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
Assuming Voom requires the stb's to be returned, what's the best way or how do I get power to the OTA antenna so I can still use it?

I had Voom install a Channel Master 4-bay uhf ant. It does not need the amp. It will cost you as much as a Radio S* amp. Yet it gets a better range then the standard ant's that Voom installed. There are a few companies that make 4 and 8 bay ant's. Go for it they can give you 60 MIN !!!!!! mile range.

You need a Winegard ps-9370 . The Radio Shack one did not work for me when I tried it about a year ago, actually gave me lower signal levels. there are a bunch of companys online that sell them for less than 20$.

You just need a 12V DC injector.. now that being said, I wouldnt trust anything that Radio Shack sells, so I would look at a local electronics or hardware store for something like this.

By the way, if you simply disconnect the wires going from the dish to the multiswitch/diplexer, you won't need the power supply. ;)

Ilya said:
By the way, if you simply disconnect the wires going from the dish to the multiswitch/diplexer, you won't need the power supply. ;)

Could you elaborate for an electronics-illiterate? Why wouldn't I need a power supply? Is that assuming the VOOM box stays put and plugged in?

bookwalk said:
Could you elaborate for an electronics-illiterate? Why wouldn't I need a power supply? Is that assuming the VOOM box stays put and plugged in?
Yes! The STB supplies power to the OTA antenna via the diplexer (it's actually supplied by the satellite input). So, if you continue using the STB for OTA and keep it connected via the same diplexer, the power would be provided whether the dish is connected or not. Of course if the STB is removed, than you do need a power supply to make any use of the antenna.

Ilya said:
Here is what you need:

Winegard PS-9370

I am trying to use OTA in my HTPC without the voom box using the voom Sensar II antenna. I have a diplexer install. I cannot get up the roof to disconnect the diplexer or the dish so I bought a Radioshack diplexer to be used at the receiver end (call it X). I took off the moto diplexer which came with voom at the receiver end. Whan I connect the 'satellite out' of X to the voom box 'satellite in' and the 'antenna out' of X to the voom HTPC , everything works great. But the idea is to get rid of the voom box altogether and so I bought a Winegard 9370 power supply and disconnected the 'satellite out' of X from the voom box and connected to the power supply and it does not work? What am I doing wrong? Is the power supply bad? It does light up the LED. Also I tried to plug the antenna/sat coax directly into the PS and X to the "antenna out" of the PS. I also tried X completely out of the picture.

If I want to keep the dish and diplexer on roof intact, what would be the best way to connect a power supply at the receiver end and the antenna to the HTPC and get rid of the voom box altogether? Please help...

http://www.winegard.com/offair/powersupplies.htm

smodak, I think you are doing it all correctly. It should work. Make sure you are connecting to the correct contact of the power supply (it has two).

The only question is whether this power supply is powerfull enough to power the LNB and the antenna at the same time. I think it should be powerfull enough, but I am not positive. It would be better to disconnect the dish (one or two wires coming from the LNB), if this is possible at all.

I assume you only have one STB. Correct?

I juse got off the phone with csr and was told that all I had to do to get ota channels was to disconnect my cable from the back of the receiver and reconnect it to the back of my hdtv and I will receive the ota channels.

Ilya said:
smodak, I think you are doing it all correctly. It should work. Make sure you are connecting to the correct contact of the power supply (it has two).

The only question is whether this power supply is powerfull enough to power the LNB and the antenna at the same time. I think it should be powerfull enough, but I am not positive. It would be better to disconnect the dish (one or two wires coming from the LNB), if this is possible at all.

I assume you only have one STB. Correct?
Thanks Ilya,
I have one receiver. I am connecting PS to the proper input. Is it time to RMA the PS then?

amarko said:
I juse got off the phone with csr and was told that all I had to do to get ota channels was to disconnect my cable from the back of the receiver and reconnect it to the back of my hdtv and I will receive the ota channels.
This might work, but only if the following two conditions are both true:

1. You have an HD tuner in your TV set. Most HDTV-ready sets don't have it. If you do not have an HD tuner, you will only be able to receive analog SD channels if anything at all.

2. If your antenna is not amplified or you have a stand-alone power supply for it. (In most VOOM installations this is not the case.)

If at least one of the above conditions is not true, you will not be able to receive HD OTA channels on your TV.

amarko said:
amrko, if you have the powered sensar II antenna and have diplexer install, it would not work, at least in my case it does not. As the antenna needs power and the sat feed from the diplexer (at the receiver side) provides the power.
In my case I am just trying to provide an alternate source of power than the STB, but do not understand what I am doing wrong as this does not work.

smodak said:
Thanks Ilya,
I have one receiver. I am connecting PS to the proper input.Is it time to RMA the PS then?
If you have a tester (voltmeter) you can quickly check if the voltage is actually passed. It should be in 12-18 Volt range.

Ilya said:
If you have a tester (voltmeter) you can quickly check if the voltage is actually passed. It should be in 12-18 Volt range.
Unfortunately I don't. I just bought the PS off of internet. Anyway, somehow I think you are correct when you say "The only question is whether this power supply is powerfull enough to power the LNB and the antenna at the same time". So, if I can climb up there on the roof, all I would need to do is disconnect the wires coming out from the LNB to the diplexer, correct? the Diplexer would still be in-place. Or should I just take the diplexer out of the picture?

smodak, if you only have one STB, then it's likely just a single wire coming from the LNB to the diplexer. Disconnect it on either end. Cover the open connector of the diplexer with some rubber or a watter-resistant tape to prevent watter from getting into it. If the cable on the roof is long enough, it is better to bypass the diplexer completely.

P.S. I would still check the power supply and all of your connections first... ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)