Getting the LNB centered

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Martyn

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 25, 2005
Annandale, VA
Has anyone come up with simple ways to make sure the LNB is pointing at the center of their dish?

I've seen laser arrangements before but am wondering if there is something simpler? I find it awfully difficult to center, and have the suspicion that some of my alignment and reception problems might be due to the LNB being slightly off center, which means the dish is being misaligned when I peak on the signal.

I was thining perhaps a jacket around the LNB to make it a bit fatter so it doesn't have so much change to move, or splints that can go in the gap to effectively align it?

To center the scalar on a prime focus dish, take 3 or 4 measurements from the center of the scalar opening to opposing edges of the reflector edges. All measurements must be identical.

To make sure the scalar sets parallel to the reflector I use a torpedo level with laser and lay across the face of the scalar. Project the laser at the reflector surface and slowly rotate the level 360 degrees, noting the position of the laser beam. The beam should stay in the center of the reflector. Adjust as needed then tighten the hardware.

Install the feedhorn and repeat the laser pointing with the torpedo across the face of the throat. Adjust as needed then tighten the hardware. Shimming alone will not guarantee the feedhorn is correctly aligned into the center of the reflector.

Reactions: hank123
Brian,

A cunning plan indeed. So the level you have produces a laser perpendicular to itself? I'll have to order one of those. Thanks

Martyn

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)