Getting tired of losing recording (error 05)

Tugboat

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 8, 2006
Last month I had my 722 replaced because I kept losing recordings. They wouldn't start and would leave me at a black screen. Going back in I got an error 05 for those recordings and had to delete them. Dish sent me a replacement 722 as they claimed the drive was bad and all seemed okay for a few weeks, but now it's back and worse than before. Before it was a few here and there. Now it's the last 35 recordings on the unit. That's way too many to be a "loss of signal" excuse and unless I got a replacement unit with a bad drive, there's something else going on.

I am using an external 2TB WD black in a generic USB2 enclosure. I've been using it for over a year now with no problems. In fact, the external has been more reliable than the internal as I've never lost a recording.

Any clues as to why this is happening? Losing that many recordings is a real pain and they are broadcast shows that won't get shown again (maybe in repeat if I'm lucky). This has to stop or I need to find a better provider with a more stable recording device.

Thanks!

What is your signal strength on the tp's that have the channel?

I'm not sure what theTP are or what each of the strengths were, but these were a mix of local OTA and satellite channels. The OTA signals are all between 90 and 100. A couple of these recordings I had already either watched or started watching. I know they weren't caused by signal loss. Usually signal loss results in missing time in the recording preceded by a message about the loss. I've even had the power go out in the past and when it restarted, the recordings restarted and I had two recordings for each show with 5 minutes missing in between.

Is the DVR plugged in to a surge suppressor, UPS or better yet, a line filter? It sounds like you may have power problems. Although, the ViP722 series hasn't been manufactured in many years. Could be two bad ones in a row. Certainly not without precedent. HDDs fail.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Did they determine if it was the HDD?

Is the DVR plugged in to a surge suppressor, UPS or better yet, a line filter? It sounds like you may have power problems. Although, the ViP722 series hasn't been manufactured in many years. Could be two bad ones in a row. Certainly not without precedent. HDDs fail.

The unit is plugged into a surge protector and line filter (Acoustic Research). I have other devices that would notify me of power loss and other such issues and none have been noticed.

I guess I could contact them and get another unit. It's such a pain. I asked for a 722k and they told me it had to be installed by an installer. I told them I don't let anyone touch my equipment and I've done all the installs myself since I signed up in '98. Since I wouldn't let them install it, they wouldn't send me a unit.

Did they determine if it was the HDD?

Were they supposed to have gotten back to me with that information? I just figured they replaced it because of their limited troubleshooting skills.

Well just got off the phone with Dish. They're sending me another replacement 722. What a pain. They need a way to back up timers and settings to make the swap less painful.

Again, they wouldn't send me a 722K unless I had it installed by an installer. Although, this time the system said it would also be a 250.00 cost. You know, after 15 years being a customer and not getting any upgrades from them in 7 years, you'd think they'd be a little more willing to do a single upgrade for free.

I'm not familiar with DIRT. Is that a Dish contact? If so, how do I contact them? Thanks
They are the Dish Internet Response Team(Dirt). If you go to the main forum page and scroll to the bottom you will find them listed in red. If on a mobile app look in the online users and they will be listed as (username)@dish. Send them a pm and they will get back to you fairly quick. It looks like none are online as I post this, but you can do a chat at dish.com or go to dish's Facebook or Twitter for help if you don't want to call. Good luck and hope they get your problem corrected.

In my experience, most installers will be more than happy to watch you install the system. Of course, I'm sure I knew more than all but one over the years, and they quickly twigged on to that. Not sure about that one - maybe.

My last installer was dumbstruck when I greeted him at the door with a chart and a polite suggestion as to how I wanted the HWS system installed. I'd installed attic planking and lighting to make his job easy. All coax was labeled. He never needed to go on the roof. He was overjoyed, and I tipped him to boot. He asked to take the chart to show others.

We were both happy campers.

I'm not sure what theTP are or what each of the strengths were, but these were a mix of local OTA and satellite channels. The OTA signals are all between 90 and 100. ...
Tune your channel. Go to the signal strength page. The Satellite and Transponder will be that which is selected.
Write it down for the next time. Do this when not recording or about to record as going there may stop your recordings.
[For Hopper: Live, Yellow, Diagnostics, Point Dish. Can't test at the moment.]
-Ken

Well just got off the phone with Dish. They're sending me another replacement 722. What a pain. They need a way to back up timers and settings to make the swap less painful.

Again, they wouldn't send me a 722K unless I had it installed by an installer. Although, this time the system said it would also be a 250.00 cost. You know, after 15 years being a customer and not getting any upgrades from them in 7 years, you'd think they'd be a little more willing to do a single upgrade for free.

If you manage to get the 722K you may want to order the OTA modular. In your statement, you said you used OTA. The 722K does not come with that ability. If you add the OTA mod., it will have two tuners/OTA not one. Nice feature. This would prevent you from posting. "Well got my 722k and now I have to buy the adapter. This sucks, blah blah. Just saying. I can check. Think I have an extra. PM me if you get the 722K I can send it to you. N/C. From dish store I think they are $50. Ebay has them a little cheaper. It's called a MT2. Good luck.

If you manage to get the 722K you may want to order the OTA modular. In your statement, you said you used OTA. The 722K does not come with that ability. If you add the OTA mod., it will have two tuners/OTA not one. Nice feature. This would prevent you from posting. "Well got my 722k and now I have to buy the adapter. This sucks, blah blah. Just saying. I can check. Think I have an extra. PM me if you get the 722K I can send it to you. N/C. From dish store I think they are $50. Ebay has them a little cheaper. It's called a MT2. Good luck.

Thanks. Although, from the way the CS was speaking, it looks like they send a 722 for a 722 only. :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts