Getting TV Out from Computer?

andrews777

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 5, 2004
I don't know if this is the right place or not. (If not, can someone move it?)

I am trying to get video out of my computer so I can use a ChannelPlus Modulator to put video from the computer onto a channel I send throughout the house.

Does anyone know how I can do this? I just tried hooking up the s-video out from my SAPPHIRE RADEON 9250 using an S-Video to RCA adapter plugged into the video card(with sound card output), but I am not getting a video signal.

Any ideas? Any better way to do this?

How would I make a computer that can play video on the TV, especially one that can send its signal to a modulated channel?

Brad

some of the ancient ISA video cards (remember CGA?) had composite video out on them. I remember years ago using my Tandy 1400 laptop to produce crappy looking titles for some videos.

somebody over in the gadgets forum might know of a VGA to video conversion device.

andrews777 said:
I don't know if this is the right place or not. (If not, can someone move it?)

I am trying to get video out of my computer so I can use a ChannelPlus Modulator to put video from the computer onto a channel I send throughout the house.

Does anyone know how I can do this? I just tried hooking up the s-video out from my SAPPHIRE RADEON 9250 using an S-Video to RCA adapter plugged into the video card(with sound card output), but I am not getting a video signal.

Any ideas? Any better way to do this?

How would I make a computer that can play video on the TV, especially one that can send its signal to a modulated channel?

Brad

Why would you take your S-Video output from the Radeon 9250 to an 'RCA adapter'? Does your TV not have any S-Video inputs? I've never heard of a S-Video>RCA composite adapter. That doesn't mean there ain't such a thing, but that could explain why you get no video on the TV.

My self-built HTPC has an ATi All In Wonder 9600 Pro video card. It has an "S-video dongle adapter' enables component video output. I can get up to 1080' output to my HDTV, and the picture quality is terriffic. The card has RCA stereo outputs, but I use the PC's sound card TOSLINK (digital optical) output to my A/V receiver so I can enjoy 5.1 surround sound out.

Hope this sheds a little light. :)

CochiseGuy said:
Why would you take your S-Video output from the Radeon 9250 to an 'RCA adapter'? Does your TV not have any S-Video inputs? I've never heard of a S-Video>RCA composite adapter. That doesn't mean there ain't such a thing, but that could explain why you get no video on the TV.

My self-built HTPC has an ATi All In Wonder 9600 Pro video card. It has an "S-video dongle adapter' enables component video output. I can get up to 1080' output to my HDTV, and the picture quality is terriffic. The card has RCA stereo outputs, but I use the PC's sound card TOSLINK (digital optical) output to my A/V receiver so I can enjoy 5.1 surround sound out.

Hope this sheds a little light. :)

I don't want to hook the computer directly to the TV. Instead, I want to send the signal out on a channel so it can be viewed by any TV in the house. :)

I do that now with output from my two Dish 522 boxes and the output from my DVD player. I want to add a channel for my computer's output.

As to the other questions: I did enable the second monitor, but that didn't seem to have any impact. It is possible, and even likely, I am doing something wrong, but I am having trouble finding out what that is. :)

Brad

what setting do you have the second output on? i believe on mine i have it set as "clone" and "display full video picture". my card is nvidea based, so the wording might be different on yours.

maybe go to the support site of your video card and run the troubleshooting steps. when i first set mine up, it was the first time i did it, it was very confussing, but once you see what you have to enable, it is pretty easy after that.

It is set as Clone as well, something I only found after turning on the "expert" options.

i don't have any other suggestions other than messing with the settings in the expert options or looking for a FAQ or troubleshoot on their support site.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I was curious as to how you actually get the tv channels on the pc for viewing? I know it takes a tv tuner card, but how does that work?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)