GI DSR-4000 ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

olliec420

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 4, 2007
Pensacola, FL
I just picked up 3 GI DSR-4000 ird's from a state college liquidation auction. Did I get anything worth anything?

They're DCII units so they may be of some use. I know folks like the 4200's out there so I wonder if its just a stripped down 4200?

edit: checked ebay and saw an old auction and the screen is different than the 4200 but its still a DCII (Digicipher II)

If it was authorized it probably can pick up stuff a 4DTV sometimes cant unless they use generics

Well thats good news! I have 3. I want one for me but if anyone would like one, please let me know and I will make an eBay auction and send you the link. Got them pretty cheap so I will sell them for what I have in them plus shipping. We get a shipping discount at work with fedex too.

How much are we talking?If you plan to sell it for under $50 let me know by teh end of the month if you still have it and I'll see if I can buy it.It's a good thing now since we don't know what Motorola may do with the 4dtv maps.

I paid $110 for the lot of 3. Someone else kept raising the bids and they were bidding on everything Im sure they didnt know what they were, they were just buying everything. But it is what it is. So I have $36.67 in each and they arent really heavy so shipping shouldnt be that bad.

Fired them up at the office and took a pic...

Attachments

• IMG00230-20100927-1055.jpg
    IMG00230-20100927-1055.jpg
    456.5 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG00231-20100927-1100.jpg
    IMG00231-20100927-1100.jpg
    444.5 KB · Views: 272
Nice work N8FQ :up

This model is nice because it will also cover analog. Your info here also covers some other DSR-4XXX models. I have a few different models myself and there isn't much published other than the setup manuals.

Nice work N8FQ :up

This model is nice because it will also cover analog. Your info here also covers some other DSR-4XXX models. I have a few different models myself and there isn't much published other than the setup manuals.

I second that n8fq, I never woulda figured that out with out that info! :)

I'm sure you probably didn't realize it, but you gave an incorrect answer to the question asked on your ebay auction page. The question I'm referring to is the one regarding a battery. As far as I know every DCII receiver uses a battery to power the memory that stores the unit ID and authorization information. If that battery loses power the receiver loses it's unit ID, authorization status, and it's ability to be authorized meaning at that point it will only be good for zero key signals and will never be able to decrypt any DCII encrypted signal again, even the "free" FP signals. It's a security feature to prevent tampering in attempts to reverse engineer and possibly hack the encryption system. Fortunately, they last quite a while and the receiver is usually obsolete by the time they go dead.

Last edited:
These are old IRDs. I think they are DCI but I'm not sure. If you are going to play with commercial DCII IRDs, you want a DSR-4410 or a DSR-4530 which has multicast or unicast IP output as well. The older DSR-4402X is ok too. Forget about the 2U DSR-4500X and the DSR-4520, though the DSR-4520 is still use for HBO VOD applications and Weather Channel Intellistars for the multicast IP output Ethernet port.

I'm sure you probably didn't realize it, but you gave an incorrect answer to the question asked on your ebay auction page. The question I'm referring to is the one regarding a battery. As far as I know every DCII receiver uses a battery to power the memory that stores the unit ID and authorization information. If that battery loses power the receiver loses it's unit ID, authorization status, and it's ability to be authorized meaning at that point it will only be good for zero key signals and will never be able to decrypt any DCII encrypted signal again, even the "free" FP signals.....

It's even worse than that. As I posted a few months ago, one of my 4200s finally lost it's battery, and now it can't even play ZK . It tunes and locks transponders, and all menu pages work fine, but ZK and FP channels will not play. This receiver worked fine the last time I used it, several months before the battery died. My other 4200 had it's battery replaced a few years ago, so it's good for another decade, although DCII probably won't be around that long.

hmmm the battery thing i did not know. i assumed it didnt and the consumer ones did. they were from a state college auction who has them here every few months and they were not at the last one but of course theres no telling how long they were out of use but i would guess they would have been at the last one if they were not being used. i wonder if they were hooked up to this....

Google Maps

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts