Glenn Beck, Eliot Spitzer Ad

Can someone post a picture? I don't now what banner ad's you guys are referring to, I haven't seen anything like this.
Your avatar will do just fine. Imagine the top black part of your avatar is the channel banner (you know, the one that shows the channel, current show, etc) when you switch to a channel. Now imagine the bottom black area half as high, that would be the spitzer-beck ad. As soon as you hit cancel to remove the top banner, the bottom banner goes away with it.

Your avatar will do just fine. Imagine the top black part of your avatar is the channel banner (you know, the one that shows the channel, current show, etc) when you switch to a channel. Now imagine the bottom black area half as high, that would be the spitzer-beck ad. As soon as you hit cancel to remove the top banner, the bottom banner goes away with it.

A banner of any type would suck, but Beck??? *Cringe* is all I can say to keep within forum guidelines :-D

Maybe Glenn Beck's popularity will help improve the dismal viewership ratings for Eliot Spitzer's show and the Current TV channel. BTW, I think the debate will be carried on Current and TheBlaze as well as on ch. 102. Makes me feel cringey all over just thinking about it.

wow, that little banner sure got a response. As stated, it only appears while flipping through SOME news channels. This is without a doubt a means of promoting GBTV.

Last edited:
Well, even after all this time, that 2nd bottom banner is still a source of irritation to me.
I really don't think a momentary plug on an onscreen banner is enough to get worked up over in the grand scheme of things. It's not like the banner remains on and jumps around on the screen till the next time you change the channel. It's gone in three seconds. You afraid you're going to miss anything? Surely there are other, much more important things to get upset over. People are complaining as if the next rate increase has just been announced.

Someone needed to say that.

That channel banner what a pain in the rear i hate knowing what channel im on. What the name of the show is and why do i care how much time is left or when it started. If i have to endure this any longer I'll have to pick up the remote and hit the cancel button what a pain.

I really don't think a momentary plug on an onscreen banner is enough to get worked up over in the grand scheme of things. It's not like the banner remains on and jumps around on the screen till the next time you change the channel. It's gone in three seconds. You afraid you're going to miss anything? Surely there are other, much more important things to get upset over. People are complaining as if the next rate increase has just been announced.

Someone needed to say that.

There are many times where I'm constantly flipping through the channels so that annoying bottom banner takes on the properties of being constantly on display. Besides, the info it purports to disseminate is pretty much useless anyway.

So I'm only seeing this in the 200-215 range. That's the "news" channels. I don't find it any more annoying than the the normal top banner and the 5 sec wait for it to go away.
Becks new channel, Blaze, is only available on Dish. I expect this being paid for???? By Blaze....

Ross

Sent from my rooted DROID RAZR Maxx using SatelliteGuys

Are you all referring to the following:
glennspitzer.jpg

This momentary banner is nothing compared to the outdated crawler/ticker on the ESPN networks or the graphics that take up a 1/3 of the screen TNT uses to let you know an all new The Closer is coming up. :p

Yep I've sen it now, not a big deal to me. People will find things to complain about…

Sent from my iPhone 4S using SatelliteGuys

3HaloODST said:
Yep I've sen it now, not a big deal to me. People will find things to complain about…

Sent from my iPhone 4S using SatelliteGuys

Yeah, I saw it today too. Hardly something to blow a gasket over in my opinion.

Sent from my phone using SatelliteGuys sweet app

It's just one more ad to detract from the programming. I counter by never channel surfing these channels and record from the guide instead.

TheKrell said:
It's just one more ad to detract from the programming. I counter by never channel surfing these channels and record from the guide instead.

Yup, if not for this thread I would have never even noticed. I only change channels using the guide.

Sent from my phone using SatelliteGuys sweet app

Except it doesn't detract from the progamming any more than the standard channel banner when changing channels. I usually have the banner removed by hitting cancel even before the channel tunes in.

Well it could be worse, could show up every time you make the "normal" banner show up (press CANCEL or type a channel number.) Could also be on all channels and not just the news channels.

But seriously, it's a non-issue for me. I quit "channel surfing" years ago when I first got sat. Guide is by far preferable. Doesn't matter much anyway, not like 10/2 is far away.

Except it doesn't detract from the progamming any more than the standard channel banner when changing channels.

Oh but it does. It detracts approximately TWICE as much as the banner alone since approximately TWICE the screen real estate is covered, leaving little of the actual video program left! I also often WANT to read the channel banner, whereas I NEVER want to read the ad. The thread subject is annoying enough, but what really galls me is the ad on the BB@home channels encouraging me to turn off the TV I'm watching and go instead to DishOnline, which has got to be the most putrescent way to view TV ever invented in the history of mankind. OK, that's an exaggeration, but as you know, I'm the Universal Master of Hyperbole. ;)

Can I reprogram my brain to avoid looking at the dratted ad, and look instead at the narrow part of the screen in the middle where the actual program video is? Can I find and hit the cancel button? Well, sure we can. But why do we need to do that?

It's just annoying; that's all.

Can I reprogram my brain to avoid looking at the dratted ad, and look instead at the narrow part of the screen in the middle where the actual program video is? Can I find and hit the cancel button? Well, sure we can. But why do we need to do that?

It's just annoying; that's all.

now we are getting to the root of this disturbance. Apparently, this AD is like subtitles.

You don't want to read them, but you just can't help yourself.... you just have to.... LOL

I contend that it shouldn't require any reprogramming at all. Anyone who has used Dish for any period of time is already programmed to hit cancel after tuning a channel, unless you like to wait the 5 seconds for the channel banner to disappear. Like I said, that banner is gone (and the bottom ad as well) by my hitting cancel even before the channel tunes in.