Glorystar info for a newbie . .

Cares4u

Original poster
Jan 20, 2008
I understand Glorystar is a free to air sat system.

If I buy the system with the setup from Glorystar, will I need anything else?

It seem there is discussion about adding things, pointing to more than one location, ect. Anyone want to try to clear this up?

Since I know not much OBVIOUSLY about this, I'd probably go with hiring them to set it up . . if they do that in rural MN!

We did have a local Sat company that went out of business, but the owner is still around and might be able to set this up . . unsure of if I just need the $199 in materials, or if there would be more . .

Anyone want to try to help with this?

Also, someone said they had to run a tuner often to get the channels in?

Thanks!

The only thing thats that you'll probably need besides what you get in your order, is cable and ends, and whatever you need to mount the dish to your home/pole/etc.

As far as adding things/pointing to more than one location, there are multiple satellites out there with programming on them for free. You'll need to take a look at what channels you want to view, and which satellites they are on. If you want to view channels from more than one satellite, you'll generally either get a motor to move the dish to view separate satellites, or add more lnb's to your dish. The GloryStar package is setup so that you can get their supported channels from two different satellites. You can buy a holder and two lnbfs so that you can get programming from both satellites without moving the dish. Of course, if you find that all of the programming that you'll want to view is on one satellite, then you don't really need to buy the extra holder/lnb/switch.

As far as hiring someone to do this, I'd be more inclined to just read...read...read and then ask questions until you feel comfortable enough to do this yourself. I have not heard of a single time that someone hired a person to come out and install a FTA system, and the installation was actually a success. Most of the installers out there are not familiar with true FTA, and they botch things up pretty well. There may be exceptions to this, but why bother when it's just as easy to do it yourself, if you're willing to read and learn.

And the question about having to "run a tuner often", I'm guessing they are referring to scanning to add channels. Until GloryStar has their channel mapping automatically working, new channels have to either be scanned in, or manually added. It's no big deal, and is not required in order to view the channels that were originally programmed into your receiver when you ordered it.

If you want help installing a FTA Glorystar system goto:
Satellite System Installer Referral Program - Satellite AV
enter your State and City. There are a few installers that do Adventist and Glorystar systems, with luck you will find one close to you. I do installs as a retirement business and have bumped into several other installers that do installs in their retirement. One fellow I met has done 3,000 FTA installs - he is 80 years old and still going strong! I would stay away from a motorized system unless you want to make it a hobby.
Bob

I understand Glorystar is a free to air sat system.

If I buy the system with the setup from Glorystar, will I need anything else?

It seem there is discussion about adding things, pointing to more than one location, ect. Anyone want to try to clear this up?

Since I know not much OBVIOUSLY about this, I'd probably go with hiring them to set it up . . if they do that in rural MN!

We did have a local Sat company that went out of business, but the owner is still around and might be able to set this up . . unsure of if I just need the $199 in materials, or if there would be more . .

Anyone want to try to help with this?

Also, someone said they had to run a tuner often to get the channels in?

Thanks!

All you really need is what comes in the $199 package. You get the dish, dual LNBs, receiver and all the parts you need (for typical installs) including cables and such.

For my install the only thing additional that I got was a tripod and a mounting base because I put the dish in my back yard vs. on my roof.

The receiver you get is a quality FTA receiver, a Mercury II. The thing that's "special" is that Glorystar preloads it's firmware on it loaded up with all the Christian stations on those two sats. If that's all you want then you don't need to do anything additional unless a new channel gets added and then you'll just need to scan it in which is very easy and the people on this forum can help.

However, there are dozens and dozens more free channels on those 2 sats that you can scan in if you want to. Tons of international channels if that interests you.

But again, if all you care about is the religious channels you don't have to do anything but install and plug it in and add new channels you might like as they get added.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)