Godzilla Trailer Released

As far as a grade goes, as a Godzilla movie, a C-. As a disaster movie, a B+.

I have to admit I have not seen any other Godzilla movies besides the 1998 movie, so I do not have a context. Now that you mention it, it was a disaster movie far more than a creature movie. It was a lot better than 1998.

Right. If all you're comparing is the 1998 movie, that would be like basing your opinion of the Houston Texans completely on how they did last year. Just to give some backstory, the 1998 version was SO bad that Toho (the Japanese creators of Godzilla) have refused to acknowledge that that monster was a "Godzilla." To Toho and other Godzilla fans, he is simply known as "Zilla" and he even made an appearance in " Godzilla: Final Wars" (The last Japanese made Godzilla movie) as one of the bad monsters. Here's what Toho thought of the American "Godzilla"

From what I and other reviewers have been saying, it appears that they made a Godzilla movie for everyone EXCEPT Godzilla fans, which is rather perplexing. One reviewer said, "This isn't your mother's Godzilla." Well, me and the millions of other Godzilla fans fell in love with that Godzilla. Still, I'm not one to declare the new Godzilla as all bad. However, for us hardcore Godzilla fans, the truly well made American version of Godzilla is still yet to be made.

To get an idea of how the Japanese movies differ from American, I'd suggest watching Godzilla GMK: Monsters All Out Attack. Consider that many feel that is one of the best Godzilla movies of all time. Compare it to how the newer one is, and I think you'll understand why this new one, while not bad, is not what us fans are used to or really wanted overall in a Godzilla movie. I won't post the link as I'm sure it's against site rules, but if you just Google "Godzilla GMK" you'll find a link to watch it on a site that is like Youtube.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well he roared in with $93.2 million as the estimate and another 103 million overseas.
Good. I would feel bad if this failed. As I said in my review, this movie REALLY showed some glimpses of brilliance, and seeing a modern day monster smackdown where all the backstory stuff is out of the way and they can just focus on the action (similar to what happened with Spiderman 1 & 2) then I see a bright future for this American take on the franchise. However, if they keep remaking movies in this similar style where they focus on the humans and keep taking away the action scenes, I'll be very disappointed.

An article in defense of the 1998 version - essentially you had a better plot...

http://www.thewrap.com/godzilla-5-things-roland-emmerichs-1998-version-did-better/

In fact, the majority of reviews — positive and negative — reflect that director Gareth Edwards’ take on the giant reptile is flawed for a number of reasons. While director Roland Emmerich's 1998 movie, “Godzilla,” is generally derided for consisting of nothing but flaws, a comparison of the two very different adaptations reveals Emmerich's vision did succeed in ways Edwards’ didn't.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts