Going from Mas Ultra to Choice Xtra with en Espanol requires new satellite dish???

Status
Please reply by conversation.

fatdutchman311

Original poster
Jul 17, 2005
Pittsburgh
I have Mas Ultra as my base package and was thinking of switching to Choice Xtra and adding the en espanol package. Talked to customer service guy from Directv yesterday and he said that if I switch I will have to have a tech come out to put a new dish on my roof. Seems kind of crazy to me, but he said that when you order spanish base package you pick up those channels from a different satellite than if you get those exact same channels in the en espanol add on.
Is this correct??????

I have Mas Ultra as my base package and was thinking of switching to Choice Xtra and adding the en espanol package. Talked to customer service guy from Directv yesterday and he said that if I switch I will have to have a tech come out to put a new dish on my roof. Seems kind of crazy to me, but he said that when you order spanish base package you pick up those channels from a different satellite than if you get those exact same channels in the en espanol add on.
Is this correct??????

The rep is wrong. You already have a 5 LNB dish because almost all the Spanish channels (I think Univision and Galavision are the exceptions) are on 119 satellite.
If you can see the dish look at the LNB (the eyeballs)....there should be 3. One giant one and 2 kinda offset from it

Or screw it...do this....hit channel 368. Does it show the Hope Channel? I bet it does. That channel is on the 119 satellite

Just call back and speak to retention to change the base plan (since you are "switching languages" they wont let you do it online) and add the en espanol plan
or you can add smaller spanish packages if you wish
http://www.directv.com/international/en_espanol

They wanted to swap out my old sidecar for the newer dish but they asked me to confirm that I would not be needing the Spanish package before they would do it?

The same thing happened to me. I have Choice Ultimate and wanted to add Mexico Plus. The csr said I needed a new international dish installed. When the installer came out he verified it was Spanish I wanted and not international like Korean and Russian. He had to call in somewhere and I had to give permission for him to just swap out 3 lnb to 5 lnb. He was glad it was a simple switch rather than a new dish install.

The same thing happened to me. I have Choice Ultimate and wanted to add Mexico Plus. The csr said I needed a new international dish installed. When the installer came out he verified it was Spanish I wanted and not international like Korean and Russian. He had to call in somewhere and I had to give permission for him to just swap out 3 lnb to 5 lnb. He was glad it was a simple switch rather than a new dish install.

But the OP has a Spanish package already so he has the 5 LNB setup

Yes, had you been going to other Korean or Russian or others, they would have needed a International Dish, which looks at the 95 sat, unless they have since changed them off the 95, I don't use them, so I don't keep track of them, but others will know for sure.

yes the International channels in the 2000's require a 95 dish. We have one here at the apartment complex as we have some Russians who live here.

edit: Looks like the Chinese ones do not require 95 as they are also on 119
These are on 119
TSCV 2102
88TV 2103
FOODA 2104
88FLM 2105
TDreams 2106
ICBL 2109
CTI 2112
CTV4 2113
PNAX 2115
HXTV 2116