Going to cancel (or at least threaten it)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

jdh321

Original poster
Jul 18, 2009
Springfield, Mo
I have been a D subscriber for 10 years. I have have ST for 6 of them, not the last two. I have been out of contract for a couple of years. Last night my HR20 died. I called last night and the CSR ran me thru the checks. The unit will not find the satellites, although the other units in my house are fine. She offered to have a tech come to my house for $50. I just paid them $75 a few months ago when they sent a tech out to re-aim my dish. I am sure the unit is shot and I am afraid they will send me something other than an HR24. I want the MRV but am not wanting to shell out the cash to upgrade all my other units (3 of them) to HD units. So I think I am going to call tonight and cancel. I think they will put up a fight to keep me, but not sure if they will do enough. We will see.

Also, if I do cancel, is it possible that my wife calls and reorders it as a new customer after some time passes? Not that its right, but the new customers get the best deals, including free/ discounted equipment when someone who has had them for a decade gets next to nothing.

I have been a D subscriber for 10 years. I have have ST for 6 of them, not the last two. I have been out of contract for a couple of years. Last night my HR20 died. I called last night and the CSR ran me thru the checks. The unit will not find the satellites, although the other units in my house are fine. She offered to have a tech come to my house for $50. I just paid them $75 a few months ago when they sent a tech out to re-aim my dish. I am sure the unit is shot and I am afraid they will send me something other than an HR24. I want the MRV but am not wanting to shell out the cash to upgrade all my other units (3 of them) to HD units. So I think I am going to call tonight and cancel. I think they will put up a fight to keep me, but not sure if they will do enough. We will see.

Also, if I do cancel, is it possible that my wife calls and reorders it as a new customer after some time passes? Not that its right, but the new customers get the best deals, including free/ discounted equipment when someone who has had them for a decade gets next to nothing.

Call back and tell them the unit won't boot up at all, nothing, nada. If they say you already called about it and it worked then, tell them it simply doesn't work now. If (when) they agree to send you a new dvr, tell them that if it isn't an HR24 you will refuse it until you get one. Also, make sure they note in your file that the old unit is defective, since replacing defective leased equipment (it is leased, yes?) doesn't extend or re-up a commitment. Good luck!

whatever you decide, You had better get it in writing , record it , and have someone from direct to sign it . Bunch of liars , they are!!

What are your guys' thoughts on this. Have the tech come out to check out my HR20. I know that they will have to replace it. I will tell him to put in a HR24, if he refuse or doesn't have one, I will simply refuse the new unit and then call to cancel. I just hate to go through all of this if the new installer is going to show up with an HR24 anyway. BTW I am in Springfield, MO if anyone know what is being sent here. Thanks for everyones input.

We can not tell you your going to get a HR24 we cant promise it either. we can put a note on the order but if the tech doesnt have any then he doesnt have any. We are in full blown production and to make sure customers demand is 1# in our book they stoped all employee upgrades or new installs.

Well, I made the call. I added the protection plan, which I will keep. They scheduled a tech to come out in 1 week. They are waiving the fee because I added the protection plan. The CSR said that they protection plan could not be canceled for 12 months. I asked her what happened if I quit service altogether before then, the CSR said that I would be responsible for the remaining protection plan. I told her to forget it and to go ahead and cancel my service. She said that she could make it only a $10 early termination on the protection plan. I said okay then. I asked what receiver it would be replaced with. She said she didn't know. I told her that I would refuse cetain receivers and cancel if they brought them. She told me they may not have to replace it and thats fine with me. I asked for a contact number for the service tech. She said she didn't have one. She only had the name "superstar" I asked for an address or city but she said she didn't know. So much for calling them and telling them to bring a HR24. Anyone heard of superstar and know how to get hold of them?

UPDATE

Service tech came out on Wednesday as scheduled. He said my HR20 was dead. He had a HR22 with him. He was a cool guy and I told him I was very hesitant to take it. I didn't want to be an A$$ but I wanted a 24. He first told me he was going to install this and then come back in a few weeks when he got a 24 in. I was still very hesitant and he could tell. This guy then calls one of the installers in the area and asks if he has a 24. He did and my tech went and met him. So bottom line, I got lucky. Had a very cool tech respond, didn't try to BS me and was able to get me what I wanted.

Doesn't an HR20 to HR24 change amount to an upgrade and a 2-year contract extension?

Not if it is replacing a defective HR2x at DirecTV's discretion.

If you go and buy an HR24 and then deactivate an HR2x, there IS a contract involved on the HR24 activation.

Service tech came out on Wednesday as scheduled. He said my HR20 was dead. He had a HR22 with him. He was a cool guy and I told him I was very hesitant to take it. I didn't want to be an A$$ but I wanted a 24. He first told me he was going to install this and then come back in a few weeks when he got a 24 in. I was still very hesitant and he could tell. This guy then calls one of the installers in the area and asks if he has a 24. He did and my tech went and met him. So bottom line, I got lucky. Had a very cool tech respond, didn't try to BS me and was able to get me what I wanted.

Hope you tipped the tech - dude went out of his way to make you happy and those guys don't make squat anymore.

If only Direct and Dish really understood how important a good tech is for their business. I had a complicated upgrade to HD, partly because I get the All American Direct distants, but the tech was great and went out of his way to make Dish do the set-up I wanted. (needed) I most certainly did tip him.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)