Going to Dish from cable and have some questions

guisep

Original poster
Aug 10, 2006
New installation coming very soon so here are my questions:

Background:
Installation to take place in San Diego - 92130
Ordering one 622
Have 5 security cameras (for the kids) that I need to send to my home distribution setup.

Goal:
Have each security camera be on a different channel (far apart) as well as use the 622 distribution capability to send its channels to my other TVs
Eventually purchase another 622 for another room and again send its channels back to the home dist.

Questions:
Can I request two 500s dishes? I’ve read some bad reports on the 1000 in my area.
Can I request they use diplexers so the extra cable runs can be used for the home distribution setup?
Any suggestions on a super home node or splitter that can handle this load? My old setup only had to handle two cameras.
Any suggestions on an off-air antenna?
Will they setup/install my off-air antenna (can I pay the installer)?
Anything that I’m missing?

Thanks,
Joe

Welcome to Satelliteguys!

guisep said:
Can I request two 500s dishes? I’ve read some bad reports on the 1000 in my area.

Yes, but it might cost you more.

Can I request they use diplexers so the extra cable runs can be used for the home distribution setup?
Again, yes, you can ask, but it is not part of the standard installation. If they can do it, it will definoitely cost more
Any suggestions on a super home node or splitter that can handle this load? My old setup only had to handle two cameras.

Sorry. Can't help here.

An OTA antenna is also not part of a standard install. Again, they can probably do this for a fee. You really need to get with the installer IN ADVANCE and ask THEM these questions.

There are installers in this forum so some may be able to give you some additional info.

See ya
Tony

See ya
Tony

A Dish subscriber in Carmel Valley (92130)

Background:
Ordering one 622

Questions:

The previous poster answered all the other questions, but I wanted to add something to this. I'm also in 92130 and have a 622 with a Dish 1000, and haven't had any problems with my reception (even 129). I do get occasional pixellation on the satellite locals, but it is quite minor and better than I used to get with TWC here.

Maybe I got lucky because I have clear LOS and the previous owner (who also had Dish) had an awesome pole mount system that goes above my roof along the wall where all of my meters are. But I haven't had problems with my 1000 during the 3+ months I've had Dish and I wouldn't spend any extra money on a 2-dish setup.

My neighbor around the corner DOES have 2 Dish 500s, but I think part of that is because their house has a different orientation than mine and they have a house next to them and some trees that makes LOS trickier. All I have on the side of my house with the Dish is the 56 freeway quite a bit below my house.

Thanks for the info on 92130.. we must be close as I just am south of 56 and just north of 5 (new complex, derby hill)
From what you said I'll let Dish do their normal install (1 1000) and if I have problems with 129 I'll have them install a 500.

Now I just need someone with knowledge of home distribution and what equiptment they would suggest.. any installers/hobbiest out there.

Thanks,
Joe

The previous poster answered all the other questions, but I wanted to add something to this. I'm also in 92130 and have a 622 with a Dish 1000, and haven't had any problems with my reception (even 129). I do get occasional pixellation on the satellite locals, but it is quite minor and better than I used to get with TWC here.

Maybe I got lucky because I have clear LOS and the previous owner (who also had Dish) had an awesome pole mount system that goes above my roof along the wall where all of my meters are. But I haven't had problems with my 1000 during the 3+ months I've had Dish and I wouldn't spend any extra money on a 2-dish setup.

My neighbor around the corner DOES have 2 Dish 500s, but I think part of that is because their house has a different orientation than mine and they have a house next to them and some trees that makes LOS trickier. All I have on the side of my house with the Dish is the 56 freeway quite a bit below my house.

Thanks for the info on 92130.. we must be close as I just am south of 56 and just north of 5 (new complex, derby hill)
From what you said I'll let Dish do their normal install (1 1000) and if I have problems with 129 I'll have them install a 500.

Now I just need someone with knowledge of home distribution and what equiptment they would suggest.. any installers/hobbiest out there.

Thanks,
Joe

I know Derby Hill, I drive right by it on my way to work. I'm in Carmel Village (old for Carmel Valley, built in 2000), just north of the 56/Carmel Country. TWC is so wonderful in this area (did you know we are the involuntary beta test site for their SA 8300 HD DVR updates?) that at least 10 of the homes in my little community have satellite tv. Of those only 1 person has DirecTV and most Dish users around here only have the 1000 dish.

If you were going to have to pay extra anyway for the 2nd 500 dish to be installed, in the worst case you'll do that and will have a 1000 instead of 500 for 110/119.

Background:
Ordering one 622
Have 5 security cameras (for the kids) that I need to send to my home distribution setup.

Goal:
Have each security camera be on a different channel (far apart) as well as use the 622 distribution capability to send its channels to my other TVs
Eventually purchase another 622 for another room and again send its channels back to the home dist.

Questions:
Anything that I’m missing?

Thanks,
Joe

Typically, we (installers) use diplexers in the install of a dual tuner box so no worries there.

Well to run that many security cameras, you would need at LEAST 2-3 splitters (3 way) to get that to work i believe, and have it come off of the TV 2 line.

You could get the installer to do your off-air antenna but i'm sure he'd want compensation and it not be on the service agreement so you couldn't call back complaining because something wasn't done right.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)