Status
Please reply by conversation.

soonersat

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2006
Norman Oklahoma
Hi

I need to be pointed in the right direction for my initial setup of equipment. I'll be using a Captive Works 600s and a Fortec Star Dish. What I need is some very easy reading / explanation of how to point my dish. Thanks

As I elevate my dish, where should my angle finder be placed on the dish in order to measure the angle desired? I'm thinking maybe on the arm which extends out to the lnbf... ?

My dish (fortec star) does have inclination markings on the bracket, however there seems to be no reference for these markings. Kindof hard to explain I know but I'm trying..

As far as pointing in the right direction, is using a compass going to be the best way to aim? I may take a look-see at youtube also.. .. thanks

Did you find your address on Dish Pointer? Your elevation is about 49 degrees in Norman. I believe your dish is about 24-25 degrees offset. So if you put an incline meter on the on the front face and set it UP about 25 degrees from Vertical you should be close. If you were able to find your address on Dish pointer - then point it south in the direction of the green line. Other wise use a compass at 175 degrees.
Bob

My dish (fortec star) does have inclination markings on the bracket, however there seems to be no reference for these markings.

you use the dish bracket as a reference....line that up with the degree marking that you want....DO NOT use the bolt/nut as a reference that is the wrong way!!

also note that some of those Fortec dishes the elevation can be off. I had one that was off by 6 degrees

Thanks for all the input. Can someone point me to the right section here at satguys to read up on my initial setup / installation.. I want to understand what Bob posted about inclination degrees in relation to my physical location and where I need to point . .. I actually installed a dishnetwork system many years ago, -but have forgotten everything- it seems. thanks

Thanks for all the input. Can someone point me to the right section here at satguys to read up on my initial setup / installation.. I want to understand what Bob posted about inclination degrees in relation to my physical location and where I need to point . .. I actually installed a dishnetwork system many years ago, -but have forgotten everything- it seems. thanks

Radar's document in this thead http://www.satelliteguys.us/fta-mpeg2-faqs/190527-how-set-up-motorized-ku-band.html should provide you with some good information :)

I would recommend that you DO NOT start with a motor (as mentioned in Radars thread above) - just get your 97W sat first on a fixed setup.
Bob

also.. while scrolling through the menus on my receiver, the names of the birds are wrong. This receiver hasnt been used in awhile and it appears outdated. Do I need to update my receiver? and how should I accomplish this? thanks

The names might be able to be changed by one of the menu items, but the orbital positions are more important - when you go to a motor... Other wise I would just leave them as they are.

How is your weather? Everything OK down there?

ANd have you locked in 97W yet?

also.. while scrolling through the menus on my receiver, the names of the birds are wrong. This receiver hasnt been used in awhile and it appears outdated. Do I need to update my receiver? and how should I accomplish this? thanks

the names do not matter....what DOES MATTER is you must select an ACTIVE TP while you are trying to aim....if you are selecting an IN-ACTIVE TP you will not get ANY signal quality even if are aimed correctly!!!....if your receiver software is old (which apparently it is) then there are probably alot of in-active TPs in your list....

Sooner,

As mentioned above, your sat list is probably outdated info. Try to figure out how to program in a new channel. I suggest 11842 H 22000 for the 3ABN (Three Angels Broad. Net). 11842 being the frequency, H for horizontal polarity, 22000 is the symbol rate (SR).
Galaxy 19 97w is a good first time sat to try for. It has over 200 channels! Lots to explore without having to move the dish around. Also more channel info can be found at LyngSat North & South America - LyngSat

Last edited:
I've located the operator manual for this receiver. I will read up on how to program a new channel, tomorrow, if I get a chance. BTW the weather is getting hot now.. .. but thats better than the 2 twisters that tried to upend my satellite dish just a few days ago. Thanks for asking. Pray for Joplin.

..Life is busy... but I did get to spend some time , and pointed at ( what I think ) is 97W. My signal strength was right at 50% and so I did a blind scan. This took awhile (10min ) but once completed, I did not know how to go and look at what I had just scanned. I'm sure this is due to my -not knowing- my receiver and how it works.

Oh yeah, I did change dishes, as a closer look at the fortec star shows what appears to be a 'torqued' dish, or not being even from one side of the dish to the other . I'm now using an unknown brand dish that appears stronger and have now gotten further than in the past with the fortec star. thanks

Sooner, if you think you have scanned in channels but can't find them-try calling the satellite by name again, in the list. Some receivers will stay on the satellite you are scanning, and its easy to see the channels, but some will default to a "master" channel list. In that case the channels listed might not be the last channels scanned in.

Well... I was making progress with a 'blindscan' but it has came to a screeching halt... A quick storm developed here in Norman OK the other day and dropped down a possible EF0 tornado. The 100ft powerpoles are all down that surround my neighborhood, some trees uprooted and my fence came crashing down on my FTA dish and pole. I am already in the process of raising another dish and should soon be back up and running. So in the mean time I have two questions. 1) Is there anyone around who is familiar with the CaptiveWorks 600s receiver that I'm using here at my home and 2) My wife really likes the old classic movies from years gone past. Is there such a transponder above that would make her happy in lieu of me getting this system up and functional?.. many thanks

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)