Success with a ku motor.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Dee_Ann

Angry consumer!
Original poster
May 23, 2009
Texas
Rather than waste a lot of you guy's time with lots of stupid questions I did a lot of reading, a lot of guessing and a lot of finger crossing.

Well over a year ago I obtained a ku motor (thank you Dad!) and for all this time it languished in its box, gathering dust, never once used.

A few weeks ago I got a burr under my saddle and decided that by golly, I was going to make it work!

I sat and looked at it for weeks. The darn motor tube is larger than standard and NONE of my dishes are standard ku dishes such as the type sold for motor mounting. They are old Primestar and Directway dishes. I can thank my ex husband for scrounging them out of whatever trash piles he found them in, for whatever reason he wanted them. I'm just glad he left them behind.. :)

Anyway.. So the non-standard motor just would not mate up to the non-standard dishes I have. Grrrrrrr........

So I sat and looked at things, time and time again, trying to figure out some way, any way that I could put the motor onto ANY dish that I have here.

Then I took that digital measuring tool Dad gave me and went around the garage, house and yard measuring EVERYTHING.

I knew ALL the dishes I have fit on a fence post, like for gates and corners. I think they are about 2 1/2" around, more or less. The motor tube was too small for that but not by much.

One of the things that was a problem was that at the bottom of the motor tube there was this large lip all around that was far too large to fit into anything. Not cool..

So I decided that had to go. I took a hacksaw and sawed that flippin lip off!

Then back to measuring everything again. I was sitting on the deck and looked over at a pile of fence tubes I had sawn up for making wind chimes (I make gianormously wicked wind chimes for a hobby) and picked up a short piece and looked at it. Hmmm.. No way I thought.. So I had the motor sitting there and the piece of tube in hand and one of the little Primestar dishes sitting there and it dawned on me... I slipped the tube into the Primestar dish. It fit of course. Then I took it out and picked up the motor and slid it over the motor tube. It fit! Snugly at that! NO WAY!! This was it! This was my magic moment! I had my adapter! WOO HOO!!

The tube was even the right length! I didn’t have to cut it any more, it was a left over and I was so happy that I could make use of it rather than it go to waste..

So I drilled a hole through the adapter and into the motor tube and put a screw through them both so that it can not spin, twist or slip off.

I spent a few days reading the manual trying to understand how to adjust the tipping stuff but it wasn’t sinking in at all. Not to mention, the manual was assuming I was using a standard dish that was designed for motors. This one was not. I had taken it’s pole mounting on the back and flipped it upside down as many had mentioned in threads here.

I took the motor and dish out to the pole and bolted the dish to the pole then I put the dish onto the motor. That’s when I realized that I had the motor totally tilted waaaaaay wrong. Back inside for more reading... Finally it began to dawn on me so I went out and took it all apart and changed the tilt again. I ended up tilting the motor to my latitude or longitude, it’s 30. I can not remember which is what that lat. long. stuff mixes me up 100% of the time. Anyway, which ever one it is, I set it to that on the motor tilt. The motor came from the factory set at zero.

One of the things I read here was that you should try to us a satellite as close to true south as possible for your alignments. Dishpointer.com tells me that Galaxy 3C at 95 is very close to true south for me. So I took my new little meter and found that satellite without operating the motor. All I did was turn the dish east and west then adjusted the tilt on the dish itself until I found the satellite. From there I tightened it down and called it good. The next day I went out and manually tried to get a better signal and stumbled upon the “wild feeds” on 91 Galaxy 17.

I hooked the lnb into my 8 way switch and left the motor disconnected. For a week or so I just played with it scanning each afternoon for news feeds, watching reports dig out wedgies and smoke cigarettes between takes. :D

So last night I decided it was time to try and get it right.

I took the wires off from the 8 way and removed it from the main system then hooked it to a spare wire and put it on the Coolsat 6000.

I went into the Coolsat setup screen and told it that I have a USALS motor. It asked for my location in long. and lat. I looked that up and entered it. Then I went to blind scan and told it to scan in the satellite 97 Galaxy 19. It turned on the motor and moved the dish. And nothing came in. At this point I was ~assuming~ everything. I was assuming that the system was intelligent and it knew where to move the dish to without me having to program it. Oh yeah?? Cool!

So I assumed that it had moved the dish to point at 97 but that I didn’t have it on the pole the right way. I went out and put the dish on the little meter, loosened it up and turned it until I got a signal. I adjusted it back and forth and adjusted the dish tilt until I got as good a signal as I could. I took the meter off, put the wires back and went inside and started playing with the Coolsat. I scanned and found some channels. I moved to a new satellite and scanned and found channels there. I spent a few hours at it and my results were not exactly great. But I kept at it and went back outside and tried adjusting a few more times until about 5am I hit gold and was finding all the channels on all the satellites. :D

So now I have a fully operational ku motor. But, it’s on the Coolsat and I don’t want it there. I want it on the system with all the other dishes. That’s where the real challenge will come in to place. I have no idea how I will make this increasingly complicated system all play nice..

Oh, and the little 6 foot dish. I found an OLD C-band tuner that turned up last year and I hooked the motor wires from that dish to that old tuner. The tuner itself is old and crummy and the remote is broken but it has two push buttons on the front. When you push them, even a tiny, brief punch, the dish moves a LOT. Pretty imprecise if you ask me. But I got lucky.
That 6 foot dish is on the 8 way switch for the PC so I changed channels to one of the LeSEA channels then used the buttons on that old tuner to bump the dish back and forth until I landed on the right satellite at 99 Galaxy 16. I got exceptionally lucky and with a few bumps I was able to get those channels in loud and clear. And that’s where that dish will sit. No need to move it, it works really, really well right there. And on those channels they run some oldies I like, like Green Acres and such.. :) As Charlie would say, “WINNING!” :D

I also did some manual editing on transponders for 87 AMC 3 since the PC can’t do blind scans and no other piece of equipment I have can tune in S2 channels. There is no way for me to blind scan S2 channels at all. So I ~must know~ where they are to begin with.

I did that and then rescanned 87 and I found a ton more S2 channels. Most of them are not listed either here on The List or on Lyngsat. The stuff on Lyngsat appears to be way out of date. Oh well..

So now I have like almost 75 S2 channels on 87. They are almost all RTV or TUFF but they seem to be small town low power stations around the country. And many of them run stuff different from the national schedule. And that is AWESOME! If I miss something I can usually find it hours later or find things that no longer run on the national feed! I love it!

The S2 channels are really touchy though so I need to get out there and fine tune the big dish but that’s a low priority. I can usually compensate by bumping the dish around a little with the Gbox remote control. Over all the BIG 10 foot dish is working great and I’m getting lots of awesome channels on it!

And for ALL of this, I thank you guys. There is no way in the world I could have gotten any of this working without your knowledge and help. THANK YOU......

So my next step to completing my set up is taking the ku motorized dish and adding it into the pc system, somehow. The Coolsat is just a testing tool and I don’t want to use it as it won’t get audio on most channels, won’t get HD, won’t get S2 and you can’t record at all with it or schedule channel changes. Eh... But it is a handy testing tool...

In the end I want ALL the dishes on the pc and the pc controlling them all. I’m close, I’m real close to getting that done. I just don’t know how to do it. I don’t know how to make the ku motor play nice with the 8 way switch and the Gbox too. I have a general idea of how it should work, I just don’t know what I have to do to make it happen.

But I’ll get it. I’ll figure it out. I’ll keep reading and I’ll try not to be a pest and ask stupid questions and waste people’s time. It takes me a looooong time to get things done but I’m learning..

:)

P.S. in the pictures the pole and stuff looks crooked but it's not. I just tilted the camera because I was slapping mosquitoes when I trying to take pics.. :eek:

Attachments

• IMG_4146.resized.JPG
    IMG_4146.resized.JPG
    218.6 KB · Views: 301
  • IMG_4144.resized.JPG
    IMG_4144.resized.JPG
    340.6 KB · Views: 324
  • IMG_4145.resized.JPG
    IMG_4145.resized.JPG
    169.7 KB · Views: 302
  • IMG_4147.resized.JPG
    IMG_4147.resized.JPG
    215.8 KB · Views: 312
Nice work. I'm doing the same here . I mostly use the computer for satellite viewing. I'm curious Dee, what are you using on your PC, software/hardware? Maybe we can figure the switching scheme for your setup. I've been useing MyTheatre because it intergrates my ATSC tuner and allows some complicated switch setups.

Nice modification, Dee... Those Primestar AZ-EL mounts are rather heavy, but if its working, that's all that matters!

Having a motorized dish is very useful when you want to check out the skies...

Nice work Dee Ann! Necessity IS the mother of invention!

I looked into setting up something similar a while back, but the 3 "EMP-Centauri 4x1" switches
I needed were not within my budget at the time.

I posted a question here;
http://www.satelliteguys.us/c-band-satellite-discussion/208548-2-motors-1-stb-ecoda-sw22.html
(also, follow the link provided by sanjap in post #4)

I read that by cascading these switches in a certain way, you could use both [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]DiSEqC and USALS commands from one STB, to operate Ku motors[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] (like yours)[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] and BUD actuators (via G-Box). I never bought the switches, so I haven't tried the concept.

I hope this helps you on your quest.

You also mentioned your frustration with LyngSat, and it sounds like you're not yet familiar with "sathint-dot-com". Find the site, I bet you'd like it there!

Keep up the hard work! Eventually, your feet will spend more time on the coffee table than under your dishes!

Cheers!
[/FONT]

Nice work. I'm doing the same here . I mostly use the computer for satellite viewing. I'm curious Dee, what are you using on your PC, software/hardware? Maybe we can figure the switching scheme for your setup. I've been useing MyTheatre because it intergrates my ATSC tuner and allows some complicated switch setups.

hi!

I am using that app as well. My ex installed it on the pc some time ago. I don't know what the original app was, it was all his baby. I talked to him about adding new satellites and he came over and spent a few days messing everything up! When he was done this app was on it. I have no clue how to get the old one back.

The theater app is very limited and clunky but it works for the basics and it's not too hard to change things or add new satellites, channels, etc.

I also have an OTA tuner card in there and the remote operates both as one. :)

I know how to edit the satellite switch positions, they are all "uncomitted" 1-8. If I move a dish it's easy to change that.

I have the 6 foot cband on uncomitted 8 with no motor.
The big 10 foot dish is NOT on the discque switch at all

There is a encoder switch FIRST before anything. 22k on connects the 10 cband, 22k off connects to the 8 way switch for the other dishes.

Eventually I need to put the gbox in there so the pc can move the 10 foot dish. Right now I move it by the remote only.

I guess I need to make a little drawing, it's a crazy setup. It took me a few years in all to get it to this point. I think it may be a little out of control now.

Great set-up and ingenuity! Glad that you shared your success in such detail. It will certainly help guide someone facing a similar project!

Nice work Dee Ann! Necessity IS the mother of invention!

I looked into setting up something similar a while back, but the 3 "EMP-Centauri 4x1" switches
I needed were not within my budget at the time.

I posted a question here;
http://www.satelliteguys.us/c-band-satellite-discussion/208548-2-motors-1-stb-ecoda-sw22.html
(also, follow the link provided by sanjap in post #4)

I read that by cascading these switches in a certain way, you could use both [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]DiSEqC and USALS commands from one STB, to operate Ku motors[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] (like yours)[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] and BUD actuators (via G-Box). I never bought the switches, so I haven't tried the concept.

I hope this helps you on your quest.

You also mentioned your frustration with LyngSat, and it sounds like you're not yet familiar with "sathint-dot-com". Find the site, I bet you'd like it there!

Keep up the hard work! Eventually, your feet will spend more time on the coffee table than under your dishes!

Cheers!
[/FONT]

Thank you, I see that site and like it a lot!!

I also see a new weather channel is coming to 87.
I tried but couldn't get it. I'll try again later after I get up for the evening, it's time for me to get my day sleep now.

Thank you all for the info, this will all be very helpful to me.
I owe you guys a cold beer. ;)

Father's Day is upon us.

Now I get to return the many favors my Dad has done for me.

Dad called me a while ago to tell me he has purchased a satellite dish off of the side of an out of business lumber yard.
He knows nothing at all about it other than he thinks it's about 3 feet across. I'll bet money he's wrong and it's bigger than that.
Dad has been eyeballing satellite dishes on closed businesses for a few years now every where he goes. Today he was in another city running errands and he went in to the lumber yard there that has not closed. It's a Texas chain so they are all around the area. The one near where he lives closed down about a month ago but 20 miles away there's one still open. So he was in there looking for something and decided to ask them about the dish he saw sitting out there, they auctioned or sold off all the assets last month but the dish was left behind. They said yes, it's for sale. They made a few phone calls and my dad shelled out 100 clams, got a receipt and headed back home. He called me and woke me up to inform me that this afternoon I get to go help him take it down. We'll bring it over here where I will look it over, clean it up, refurbish it, paint it, whatever...

I'm thinking it may need a new LNB for starters. And a coat of paint. I don't know.

Now the thing is, I am 100% certain that they will want it pointed to PBS.

Eventually we will see about motorizing it but for now we'll start with the basics and make it stationary and aimed at PBS.

For sure they will need a tuner that can get ALL the PBS channels on 125. S2, HD, all of it. I checked PBS on my Coolsat 6000 this morning and only Create and World have sound, a few were visible with no sound and the rest ~appear~ as if they are scrambled though I know they are not, it's just that the tuner doesn't understand HD channels at all. And it darn sure doesn't do S2.

So they have a little flat screen TV that has all sorts of inputs on it though I don't know what brand it is. For now that's all they will want to hook it up to.

One tuner that gets ALL the PBS channels on 125. Recording capability would be very nice but not totally essential. I'm thinking about that "Openbox S9" might do what they need.

Hopefully one can be had for less than the price of a pint of blood.

So much for sleeping today... :rolleyes:
Pictures later..

Last edited:
Dee, Yeah Openbox would be the least expensive way to go. That's what i've had for well over a year. It will do the PBS HD stuff. The Oklahoma PBS is a little weak for me on a 36" but everything else is good....Blind

Great set-up and ingenuity! Glad that you shared your success in such detail. It will certainly help guide someone facing a similar project!

Thank you. And I do hope that someone can benefit from this besides just me. I am trying to give back a little in return for what I got here.

I figure if I can do this stuff, ANYONE can.. :eek:

That's good fabricating Dee. Shows what determination will do ! I got sort of lost in your switch description though, but I remember that if you are running a motor, it's usually recommended to put the switch between the motor and the lnbf, (and then connect other dishes if you have them). You might have it that way already-I just woke up from a late nap and brain is still like molasses lol. Big gust-front from a thunderstorm knocked out the electric last night at 10pm and wasn't fixed until 845am-I burned alive trying to sleep. Somebody should invent a battery-powered AC!

I know how to edit the satellite switch positions, they are all "uncomitted" 1-8.
If I move a dish it's easy to change that.
I have the 6 foot cband on uncomitted 8 with no motor.
The big 10 foot dish is NOT on the discque switch at all
There is a encoder switch FIRST before anything. 22k on connects the 10 cband, 22k off connects to the 8 way switch for the other dishes.

I guess I need to make a little drawing, it's a crazy setup.
It took me a few years in all to get it to this point. I think it may be a little out of control now.
Not at all. Seems well under control.

Sounds like you got a couple of the nice 8-input switches and tied them together with an ENCODA 22khz switch.
That is a logical extension of this design in the Switch FAQ: two switches in series.
Now that you are motorized, it'll be interesting to see if you really need 16 dish capability, though. ;)

As for Dad and his fresh dishes, you should know to post pictures here and let us critique them.
Couple of years ago, we poked you to roll out pix of all your little Ku dishes.
You had a fine selection to choose from, and hopefully your Dad benefited from seeing the dish farm.
Hard to imagine what would be worth springing $100 for, but as you know, we're always excited to see a new dish. - :up

Not at all. Seems well under control.

Sounds like you got a couple of the nice 8-input switches and tied them together with an ENCODA 22khz switch.
That is a logical extension of this design in the Switch FAQ: two switches in series.
Now that you are motorized, it'll be interesting to see if you really need 16 dish capability, though.

As for Dad and his fresh dishes, you should know to post pictures here and let us critique them.
Couple of years ago, we poked you to roll out pix of all your little Ku dishes.
You had a fine selection to choose from, and hopefully your Dad benefited from seeing the dish farm.
Hard to imagine what would be worth springing $100 for, but as you know, we're always excited to see a new dish. -

Dad is coming to pick me up about 7pm when it's a tad cooler out. I'm taking my Canon of course and taking pictures of the dish before we take it down. Well, before he does. I'm going to be there to supervise..

I'm also going to use my iPhone and that app that shows the satellites from dishpointer to try and guess what satellite it was pointed at. Lots of pictures will be taken..

Dang I wish I could make pretty pictures like you do on those diagrams! Mine are always so crude..

Maybe I need to download a bunch of yours then cut-n-paste up pieces to make better diagrams for mine.

As for switches and stuff, I only have the one 8 way switch and 7 dishes total.

The 10 foot dish does not go through the 8 way switch at all.
So it's like this,

pc --> 22k switch --> 10' dish

The cable is not running through the Gbox yet. Just the wires for it's motor are hooked to the Gbox and I control it with it's remote control only. The pc doesn't talk to the Gbox yet.

The other half of the 22k switch (which I now see is called and Encoda, not an Encoder. DOH!) is hooked to the 8 way switch.

When the 22k is turned on I get the big Cband. When it's off, I get the 8 way switch. So if I select Galaxy 19 ku the pc turns off the Encoda and sends a signal to the 8 way switch to connect the dish on uncommitted 4 and I watch that satellite.

When I select MeTV the pc turns on the 22k switch and connects to the 10' C-band dish and disconnects the 8 way switch.

If that makes any sense. I made print screens of the settings to illustrate, if that would help any.

Also note that there are a bunch of satellites that show uncommitted switch 1. Those are temporary satellites from when I was moving the first 6 foot dish manually and searching for anything I could find. I have that dish connected to that port on the 8 way switch and I move the dish manually via a “dumb” separate motor controller that is not connected to the pc in any way. Now that I’m parking the dish on 99west I am not concerned with it being motor controlled for the immediate future. It can sit on the 8 way switch as a dumb, immobile dish like the small ku dishes do.

I also changed the Cuban satellite to show uncommitted 16 which is just a place holder, there is nothing above position 8. I just set that there because I took the dish down but I want to go back to it in the winter.

What I think I have to do is put things as such,

pc --> ku motor --> 8 way --> LNB’s galore.

It’s going to be more complex than that in the end, which I will illustrate later but that’s the basic way I believe it needs to be wired.

But where I have a complete level 7 melt down is making the pc understand all this convoluted nuttiness and play nice with everything.

I want the dishes that don’t move, to stay as they are on the switch.

So to watch a satellite at 91 west ku, which would be on the motorized dish, the pc would have to turn off the 22k switch first and pass through the off side of it same as if it were selecting one of the other ku dishes, then send a signal to the motor to move the dish. The 8 way switch would be connected to the LNB port on the motor. And ALL the LNB’s (except the 10 foot) are connected to that. So it also has to send a signal not only to move the motor, it also has to send a signal to the 8 way to select the LNB for that dish.

This is were I feel like a dog chasing it’s tail, getting dizzy and falling down. And puking... Ugh..

I’m hoping that this is possible. I’ve wanted to do this for a loooong time and gone really slooooow at it. That’s my speed, slow... As I’ve said before, most of this is over my head so I usually mimic things I’ve seen you guys do and hope for the best. Most of the time it works. Eventually. I wish I was smart enough to understand what I’m doing. I’ll never be as smart as you guys so all I can do is try to copycat what I read/see here or bumble my way through on my own at a pace 100 times slower than anyone else. I mean really, it’s taken me almost two years to get this much done, starting from zero with nothing, no understanding, no skills, no knowledge at all, just a bunch of old scrap dishes I was going to haul to the curb. I’m still not too much more skilled than I was two years ago. I’m just too hard headed to quit.

Well, I’ll try to make a diagram using some of your nifty artwork in a little while and see what you guys think. I should be posting pics of Dad’s new dish in a few hours too. I’ll bet his new dish will be TOO BIG for what he needs and I’ll need to confiscate it, er, swap it out for one of my smaller dishes.

Attachments

• twvsertw4.jpg
    twvsertw4.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 222
  • dbhdrtyer.jpg
    dbhdrtyer.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 213
SCORE! :D

My dad picked a good one! He paid a 100 dollars for it. It's one of those Channel Master dishes, it's almost identical to the "Lawnchair Dish" I have, that I fixed with part of an old lawn chair.. They told my dad this dish was used for credit card transactions. I thought it was for music (the logo on it) but he says otherwise. I personally do not care.

The only difference is the mounting system fits a smaller, standard fence pole, unlike mine which sits on a much larger 3" pole.

But the size and weight of it makes it not so good for motorizing. If we were to flip the mount on it like I did on the small Primestar, the weight would put too much leverage on the motor and burn it out. This was an issue that we discussed last year when I first tried to motorize my version of this same dish. It was the general consensus that it would be inadvisable to mount this dish to a motor using the stock mounts and that without a LOT of serious modification, it just was too much trouble.

So. Let's make a deal! :deal:

I traded my 1 meter Primestar and my motor to my dad for his dish.
I think the one I have on the motor now is like a 3/4 meter dish, a Channelmaster 75E. I'm giving him the larger one meter dish, a Primestar/Channelmaster 1x.7-1 (that's what it says on the back..

I'm going to take my motor down since it's already modified and put the bigger of the two primestar dishes on it and keep his new Channelmaster in exchange. Now he won't have to buy a motor, just some wires and a tuner. He'll have to plant the pole though I'll go over with my iPhone and find the best place to plant it so he can get the most satellites, namely PBS 125 and RTV 83. If he can hit those two, it's all good..

I have to put it all together though and make it work. That's also part of the deal. Monday or Tuesday we are going to order wire and the Openbox S9 for him and I figure it will be sometime early in July when I get to go make it all work.

Now that I've beat my brains out figuring it all out here, it should go smoother and quicker over there. Thank goodness for that, I won't have to be over there all day every day for weeks. I figure one day to see about the pole, back the next day to install it and one more day after that teaching them how to use it. They are in their 70's so this will be fun. :rolleyes:

The dish I've acquired, I need to plant a new pole for it because it's bigger and will need a stronger, taller pole and more clearance from the other dishes.

I'll eventually replace my ku motor in the next few months but it's a low priority for now. I don't HAVE to have it but it would be cool to play with.

I guess this new dish will be my RTV dish for 83 AMC 9. I think.

Once again I get to play musical satellite dishes and move stuff all around again. Sigh...... It never ends!

Oh, and I do NOT like that cinder block stand at all. I will NOT be using it, I'll plant a pole in cement and save the temporary stand for like when I'm testing something and not ready to commit it to cement just yet. It will just be another tool in my kit of goodies for working on these things..

I think when I redo a ku motorized dish, I want to make one that can get both standard ku and pizza ku. Like, just in case for those rare times when something goes in the clear.

You see what you guys have done to me! You've turned me into a nerd! ;) (Acutally I blame unemployment and boredom primarily but I'll give you guys half credit)

Attachments

• IMG_4163.resized.JPG
    IMG_4163.resized.JPG
    127 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_4169.resized.JPG
    IMG_4169.resized.JPG
    132.2 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_4152.resized.JPG
    IMG_4152.resized.JPG
    102 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_4155.resized.JPG
    IMG_4155.resized.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 219
  • IMG_4161.resized.JPG
    IMG_4161.resized.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_4164.resized.JPG
    IMG_4164.resized.JPG
    170.7 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_4162.resized.JPG
    IMG_4162.resized.JPG
    152.3 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_4170.resized.JPG
    IMG_4170.resized.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:
A totally stock Andrew / Channel Master / Primestar 1.0 meter dish is an excellent choice.
Looks like it's in new condition, too. - :up
So, you get that for your 75e and a motor, eh? ;)

If you don't have a use for that NPRM, maybe it'd be an easy way to set up at Dad's place?
Wouldn't have to pick a permanent spot; wouldn't have to dig a hole.
No, I don't mean "put it on the roof"!
I was thinking of locating on some paving stones out in the back yard.
Should hold a motorized 75e just fine.

Come to think of it, you could pre-build the whole thing at home, and debug it with his receiver.
Then, take the cement blocks off, lift the dish/motor/NPRM into the back of the van, and deliver it whole.
Set the thing in place, restore the cinder blocks, and re-aim the motor.
Just thinking out loud, but I like what I hear. - :up

A totally stock Andrew / Channel Master / Primestar 1.0 meter dish is an excellent choice.
Looks like it's in new condition, too. -
So, you get that for your 75e and a motor, eh?

If you don't have a use for that NPRM, maybe it'd be an easy way to set up at Dad's place?
Wouldn't have to pick a permanent spot; wouldn't have to dig a hole.
No, I don't mean "put it on the roof"!
I was thinking of locating on some paving stones out in the back yard.
Should hold a motorized 75e just fine.

Come to think of it, you could pre-build the whole thing at home, and debug it with his receiver.
Then, take the cement blocks off, lift the dish/motor/NPRM into the back of the van, and deliver it whole.
Set the thing in place, restore the cinder blocks, and re-aim the motor.
Just thinking out loud, but I like what I hear. -

Actually I'm keeping the smaller 75e and giving him the next size up, the 1m Primestar. In the "family photo" the 75e is in the foreground, on the motor. Directly behind and near the ground on the same level is the larger 1m Primestar. I'm going to swap them around, put the bigger one on the motor and give that to him.

While Dad was here I gave him a walk through of what a motorized dish does and some of the things you can get.

Of course I had to improvise a little because the Coolsat is pretty limited so for some stuff I showed channels from my main system on the pc. As I went through the PBS channels he lit up like Christmas when Antiques Roadshow popped up.. :D

They totally lost PBS of any sort a few years back when the digital stuff kicked in. Antiques Roadshow is one of their favorites. He was cackling like a kid opening presents under the tree. Then he says “D**n that looks good!” and I informed him that was on the PBS HD channel.

He then said “If I can just get your mother off that d**n Judge Judy s***. “ Bla, bla, bla and some cursing. I told him “Um dad, I watch Judge Judy too, and Judge Joe Brown and People’s Court and all that stuff too. He shook his head and muttered a few more spicy words and I told him “Well Dad, when you have all these awesome PBS channels you maybe she would rather watch them than the stuff you can’t stand.

(Guess who controls the TV set in their house?) Hehehehe........ ;)

So he asked me what we had to do to get things moving on this. I told him I had to order a roll of wire and order the tuner. Dad will not do financial transactions online. I don’t blame him, I’m just about to the same point myself after some recent BAD experiences.

I told him I need to come over with my iPhone and figure out where we can put the dish at. The shorter the wire the better I assume. I have a spot in mind that would be ~perfect~ if it’s clear. I sure hope it is. Dad will have to buy a fence pole and plant it in cement. And when the tuner comes in I will do as suggested, make it all work here, figure it out here then take it there and put it up, boom, in and out...

Dad said there is no way on that cinder block stand, it would kill a large patch of grass vs the pole which will do minimal damage to the yard. “Your mother isn’t going to approve of that thing at all, I’ll tell you that right now.” Mom putters around the yard a lot and is very picky about appearances. If we can put the dish on the side of the house between the air conditioners behind the fence and on a pole, she will have no qualms with that at all. IF it’s clear there.

Next week I’ll start ordering things. I found an Openbox S9 on Ebay for $110 w/free shipping from a US dealer. It’s a Chinese based dealer that claims to ship from a California warehouse. I’m going to review his feedback first of course. Heck, at that price I want one too! But it will have to wait for now. I need a new motor all of a sudden. DOH! :D

The other problem that I have is this new dish. The LNB is weird looking and I think it may be a transmitter LNB and not a receiver type. :(

I took the cover off and took some snap shots of it. I googled the numbers on it and I keep seeing “transmitter” showing up over and over..

Can anyone interpret this for me? I’ve never seen one of these before..

LNB Transmitter > LNB Ku-Band DRO Type GM-6932 GM-6938 GM-6922 GM-6941 GM-6933 - FUJITSU GENERAL

gm-6922 - Google Search

edit: Oh, and I found a "data sheet" on this LNB. It has some very technical information on it. Stuff I don't understand. Like, what does DRO mean? Is this the wrong thing for watching TV?

I played with it a little to see if I could get ~anything~ on it but I got nothing at all. It may be the trees though as I had it on my patio. I’ll move it out to the middle of the yard tomorrow and try again..​
Thanks guys! :)

Attachments

• IMG_3941b.resized.JPG
    IMG_3941b.resized.JPG
    206.5 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_4191.resized.JPG
    IMG_4191.resized.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_4193.resized.JPG
    IMG_4193.resized.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 230
  • IMG_4195.resized.JPG
    IMG_4195.resized.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 198
  • Norsat_4000_LNB.pdf
    187.3 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
Looks like a standard single-polarity Ku LNB, with an LO of 10750
The problem is, it gets only one polarity: vertical or horizontal.
So, while it's good hardware, it's not something I see you using in the immediate future.

You might want one of these replacement soup-can-sized LNBs at Impakt Products.
Either the ones labeled Channel Master or the Eagle Aspen.

You can probably scrounge up a replacement, locally. Maybe from a broken dish?
Or maybe one of the bandstacked DishNetwork LNBFs (flat ones with a collar on the side where the feedhorn bolts up)
Oh, here's a more comprehensive discussion on the LNBs.
There's even a link to a picture I posted, showing what they all look like.

Oh, and my apologies.
The good 22khz switch that passes the 22khz and diseqc commands through it is: Ecoda.
You had me distracted and spelling it wrong. ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)