Success with a ku motor.

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Dee I can imagine what your electric bill is with the a/c running virtually non stop. I've often wondered what the temperature is at the center of a dish is on a 100 degree day with the sun directly on it. You'd probably get burned or maybe you could fry an egg or two. I'll take the 90-95 here with high humidity. Love the dog days of July/August great for swimming all day. Too hot to mess with a dish in the daytime....Blind

Back to the topic.

On the ku motorized dish for my folks, I am fixing them up with my Primestar 1m elliptical dish.
It has the old soupcan LNB with separate H & V outputs and has to have a combiner switch to put them to a single wire.

Right now it is on a Perfect Vision 2x4 combiner. There are two wires from the LNB, one for H and one for V that go to the combiner. From there one wire goes into my 8way switch and the dish acts the same as any other normal dish/LNB.

My dad asked if there was a way where they could have two tuners on one dish.

I told him I think you can do that but I don't know how and would have to ask.

I know you can't watch two separate satellites at the same time. But what if, for instance, they are on 125 with all the PBS channels?

As far as I can tell, most of the PBS channels are on the vertical.

What I'm worried about is burning out a tuner. Like when you tell the tuner to move the dish, will it blast power into the other tuner and burn it up?

Is there a way to safely put two tuners on one dish where either tuner can move the dish and they (my folks) watch them at the same time?

Or is this simply not possible at all and they will end up having to have two separate, independent dish/motor/tuner systems?

(I stole a picture from here that Anole made and modified it a little.)

Attachments

• two channels one satellite.jpg
    two channels one satellite.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 104
Dee I can imagine what your electric bill is with the a/c running virtually non stop. I've often wondered what the temperature is at the center of a dish is on a 100 degree day with the sun directly on it. You'd probably get burned or maybe you could fry an egg or two. I'll take the 90-95 here with high humidity. Love the dog days of July/August great for swimming all day. Too hot to mess with a dish in the daytime....Blind

It's up there.. The A/C never shuts off for months at a time because I keep it at 68. Even so, I can't get the temp. in the house below 72 in the summer as my A/C is too small for this house and it's an old house with severely inadequate insulation.

If you are using the 2x4 Perfect Vision switch shown in your picture, then the four outputs can go to four receivers.
Or to say it another way, the three spare outputs in your picture can feed three more receivers, none of which can control the motor.

The receivers just supply 13 or 18 volts (which selects between Vertical or Horizontal polarity) to run the LNBF.
The motor moves when it gets a diseqc command on the line.
So, there is nothing to overload or burn out.

But you do NOT hook the LNB inputs of two receivers together - each is a power source, and that'll cause you problems.

Back to the subject of getting two receivers to run one motor...
It's been discussed on the forum in the past.
Seems like maybe Pendragon came up with a workable solution.
However, the social problem it'll create is not solvable - fighting over where the one dish is aimed!
I suggest you try one dish/motor/receiver at first, and see how that goes.

If you are using the 2x4 Perfect Vision switch shown in your picture, then the four outputs can go to four receivers.
Or to say it another way, the three spare outputs in your picture can feed three more receivers, none of which can control the motor.

The receivers just supply 13 or 18 volts (which selects between Vertical or Horizontal polarity) to run the LNBF.
The motor moves when it gets a diseqc command on the line.
So, there is nothing to overload or burn out.

But you do NOT hook the LNB inputs of two receivers together - each is a power source, and that'll cause you problems.

Back to the subject of getting two receivers to run one motor...
It's been discussed on the forum in the past.
Seems like maybe Pendragon came up with a workable solution.
However, the social problem it'll create is not solvable - fighting over where the one dish is aimed!
I suggest you try one dish/motor/receiver at first, and see how that goes.

As I suspected from reading and googling, you can't hook two tuners at one to something without a gadget between them to keep one from frying the other.

So, then I am going to assume the following from what you've said.

Two tuners. One upstairs, one downstairs.

Downstairs tuner connects to #1 on the PV 3x4 switch and has USALS control of the motor.
Upstairs tuner connects to #2 on the PV 3x4 switch and is configured for NO MOTOR.
Each and every satellite in it would be treated as one big satellite with lots and lots and lots of transponders. Upstairs tuner can watch any channel that is on whatever statellite downstairs tuner has moved to, right?

Attachments

• two channels one satellite-b.jpg
    two channels one satellite-b.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 90
As I suspected from reading and googling, you can't hook two tuners at one to something without a gadget between them to keep one from frying the other.
You've got it. And there are various gadgets depending on the specific application.
Use the right one at the right time, and it's smooth as butter. - :up

Two tuners. One upstairs, one downstairs.
Downstairs tuner connects to #1 on the PV 3x4 switch and has USALS control of the motor.
...through the motor, just as your modified picture shows.

Upstairs tuner connects to #2 on the PV 3x4 switch and is configured for NO MOTOR.
Each and every satellite in it would be treated as one big satellite with lots and lots and lots of transponders.
No, I would configure both receivers identically.
Look for a way to export that satellite list (maybe edit it; a feature you have already discovered is handy), then load it to the #2 receiver.
Keep a backup copy for later, too. :up
If the #2 receiver doesn't actually connect to the motor, then it won't command the motor, and that's fine.
If you ever want to swap receivers for troubleshooting, you're good, 'cause they're configured identically.
If/when you install a #2 dish & motor for the #2 receiver, there are no extra steps. - :up

Upstairs tuner can watch any channel that is on whatever statellite downstairs tuner has moved to, right?
Yes. And that can be Vertical or Horizontal, without concern.

You've got it. And there are various gadgets depending on the specific application.
Use the right one at the right time, and it's smooth as butter. - :up

...through the motor, just as your modified picture shows.

No, I would configure both receivers identically.
Look for a way to export that satellite list (maybe edit it; a feature you have already discovered is handy), then load it to the #2 receiver.
Keep a backup copy for later, too. :up
If the #2 receiver doesn't actually connect to the motor, then it won't command the motor, and that's fine.
If you ever want to swap receivers for troubleshooting, you're good, 'cause they're configured identically.
If/when you install a #2 dish & motor for the #2 receiver, there are no extra steps. - :up

Yes. And that can be Vertical or Horizontal, without concern.

Cool! I was close. I just didn't understand how to set up the second tuner.

I suspect that they will primarily both want to sit on 125 for PBS, they both love PBS and there is a lot of good stuff there. If they can independently watch anything on 125 I think that will keep the peace pretty well. Eventually they may want to explore RTV and perhaps one day, add a small C-band for the goodies on 87. But for now I think it's best to start with one tuner and maybe add a second one later. I'm pretty sure they will want to go to two tuners because Mom controls the TV and it makes Dad mad as fire.

Thanks! :)

I talked to dad and he said that for now they will be fine with a single tuner downstairs. The TV upstairs is messed up and needs to be thrown away, it has no red on it anymore.
The two of them will work out who watches what / when downstairs on the single tuner & TV. I figure they are going to be mostly on PBS and History, at least until Mom gets a look at Larry the Cable Guy which will put a stop to History in their house. Larry is a bit too low brow for my mom...

Tomorrow Dad is coming over and we are going to order the tuner.

When it gets in I am going to do as suggested and set it up here and work out all the bugs so that setting it up there will be painless. Or so I hope.
Dad gets to run the wires and plant the pole, I get to do the brain work part.

I kinda wish I was getting one too since it can blindscan S2 channels. That would be very helpful.

Having a ku motor is cool ! Having blind scan is cool ! Having a motor and blind scan is double cool !

During the day time things get interesting, in a "Perry Mason" kind of way... :popcorn

Just sayin.......... :cool:

Having a ku motor is cool ! Having blind scan is cool ! Having a motor and blind scan is double cool !

During the day time things get interesting, in a "Perry Mason" kind of way... :popcorn

Just sayin.......... :cool:

As Perry would say " Isn't it TRUE....." haha

Anole, referencing Dee Ann's drawing in post 46. Would it work if the two outputs from the lnb were inserted on one half of the inputs on a 4x4 multiswitch with one ouput going back to the motor input and the ouput from the motor going into a 4x1 switch feeding a receiver to control the dish? The other three outputs on the 4x4 going to other 4x1's for other receivers. (Sorry I am not good with the drawings, and apologies to Dee Ann for sort of hijacking your thread.)

Anole, referencing Dee Ann's drawing in post 46. Would it work if the two outputs from the lnb were inserted on one half of the inputs on a 4x4 multiswitch with one ouput going back to the motor input and the ouput from the motor going into a 4x1 switch feeding a receiver to control the dish? The other three outputs on the 4x4 going to other 4x1's for other receivers. (Sorry I am not good with the drawings, and apologies to Dee Ann for sort of hijacking your thread.)

No no! Don't apologize, though what you describe boggles my mind into a melt down, I am interested to hear new ideas, perhaps Anole or one of the guys can figure out your idea and if it works, make it into a drawing for others to benefit from.

:)

WTguy - yes, but I'm not comfortable running motor current through a 4x1 diseqc switch.
Some people are, do, and will talk more about it. :)

Even though this is Dee's thread, maybe if you expand a bit, describing what you have on mind, she and everyone else following the discussion will benefit. :)

I currently run 4 lnb's from 3 84e's into 2 4x4's, I only use 2 of the outputs into two 4x1's each running to a receiver (eventually I will feed two more receivers with the other outputs). I have a dual cband lnb feeding a port each on the 4x1s and my motorized 90cm has a dual lnb on it also. I feed one outlet into the motor and out into the last port on one of the 4x1's (so I am already runnning a motor into a diseqc switch already) and the other output on the dual lnb goes directly to the last port on the 4x1 for the other receiver.

I was thinking if I could combine the cband and motorized dish into one 4x4, then that would free up an input on each of the 4x1's, allowing me to add another motorized dish.

Dee, as you see I am also running several dishes and use the 4x4 multiswitches to feed the diseqcs for just 2 receivers at the moment. I plan to add at least one more receiver but have outputs for 2 more (I currently run 2 hd's (an S9 controls the motor and viewsat max is for viewing as well) and will probabaly attach one or 2 of my sd receivers with the other outputs from the 4x4's).

But I had remembered reading about some combinations of switches and diseqcs do not work well. I am a long way from claiming to be an elecrical engineer so I wanted to be sure this would work without frying some components of the system.
Thanks.

Oh oh...

I see mention that the Openbox S9 is discontinued and is being replaced by the S10. What to do now?
S9's are available on ebay as well as S10's and the prices are more or less average $130 for either model.
It's going to be hooked up to a motorized dish.

I see the new one is smaller and has few connection options. :(

Which would you guys recommend? This one will be for my folks, I can't justify the expense just yet for myself to have one.
But I'm going to be the one they call when it acts up or they have questions. I don't want them to get stuck with a dinosaur or a dud because I'm the one that will catch the grief over it.

Thanks... :)

Dee, I don't know much about the s10, but I have an s9, and it replaced the DUO (talk about a dinosaur) and a CS5k in the bedroom. The CS5K was used to control the motor on one dish while the DUO was used for recordings.

I think the choice of which unit to buy would depend more on your folks current TV more than anything else. Check the outputs on the s10 and see if it is compatible with the current TV your folks have. If they have an analog TV you would be best served (from what I have heard) with the s9, but if they have or are planning on an all digital TV your options are either, since what I recall is there is no way to connect the Yellow, Red and White cables from an output to a TV. If they have a single cable connection on their TV for audio and picture (HDMI) then maybe an s10 is in your (or their) future?

And your statement that the s9 was to be discontinued wouldn't concern me too much, I believe the advances in that unit make it a pretty good stand alone receiver. You can do pretty much what you want with that unit. Mine hasn't been "updated" in so long I don't see many changes that would effect us at this stage. I don't really like going in there and changing firmware just for the sake of change, it works, so I leave it alone.

(For what it's worth department)

Photto

Dee, I found a review of the s10 via google. It is a different site so I am not linking it. Just google "openbox s10" and should be the first one to pop up.
btw, I us my s9 to run my motor on a 90cm dish and it does a great job.

Dee, I don't know much about the s10, but I have an s9, and it replaced the DUO (talk about a dinosaur) and a CS5k in the bedroom. The CS5K was used to control the motor on one dish while the DUO was used for recordings.

I think the choice of which unit to buy would depend more on your folks current TV more than anything else. Check the outputs on the s10 and see if it is compatible with the current TV your folks have. If they have an analog TV you would be best served (from what I have heard) with the s9, but if they have or are planning on an all digital TV your options are either, since what I recall is there is no way to connect the Yellow, Red and White cables from an output to a TV. If they have a single cable connection on their TV for audio and picture (HDMI) then maybe an s10 is in your (or their) future?

And your statement that the s9 was to be discontinued wouldn't concern me too much, I believe the advances in that unit make it a pretty good stand alone receiver. You can do pretty much what you want with that unit. Mine hasn't been "updated" in so long I don't see many changes that would effect us at this stage. I don't really like going in there and changing firmware just for the sake of change, it works, so I leave it alone.

(For what it's worth department)

Photto

Photto,

As always, thank you for your input.

The TV my folks have, I do not know the brand or model. I only know that it's a 21" flat screen (They had to get a small one to fit in their bookcase). A few years ago when everything went digital they replaced their old tube TV with a flat screen. I don't know if it's an LED or LCD, if that matters. I don't think it's more than 2 years old, but it may be 3 years old at most. I just don't know for sure.

All they have it hooked to is a TV antenna on their roof and a DVD player. I ~think~ the DVD player is older and only has the yellow/red/white cables. I ~think~ my dad told me last year when we discussed a satellite for them that the TV has several kinds of connectors on it, I believe he said some of them look like USB but to my dad, ~everything~ looks like USB.

It's too early to call over there yet so I'm going way out on a limb and trying to remember what Dad told me a long time ago..

Yeah, Dee-Ann, you got it right. That "USB" looking thingie would be HDMI, so you would be safe with EITHER s9 or s10 (in my opinion). Since it's such a small TV, it would be easy enough to pull it out of the bookcase (slowly) and take a look. Worst case scenario would be to use a mirror and look without causing too much trouble.

In any case, it would be up to them to decide which to get, wouldn't it? (smile).

Photto

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)