Success with a ku motor.

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Yeah, Dee-Ann, you got it right. That "USB" looking thingie would be HDMI, so you would be safe with EITHER s9 or s10 (in my opinion). Since it's such a small TV, it would be easy enough to pull it out of the bookcase (slowly) and take a look. Worst case scenario would be to use a mirror and look without causing too much trouble.

In any case, it would be up to them to decide which to get, wouldn't it? (smile).

Photto

I have been reading up on the two tuners. It appears that you guys have been discussing the new S10. Some of you think this is a step backwards in that they removed some of the connectors on the thing.

I want to believe that what they have done is chopped out stuff to lower production costs and increase profits. The consumer, loses. Newer is rarely ever better.

I think I will recommend that they get the S9. And when I am able, I hope I will still be able to find an S9 for myself. I have a 32" Vizio flat screen with lots and lots of connectors on it.

WTguy, I think I followed your hookup.
What you've described is pretty much the same as discussed in
Real-World Multiswitch Example - 8 LNBs, 4 Receivers
in the Switches Simplified FAQ.
When you get into that much hardware, I like self-powered multiswitches.
That way, the receivers aren't powering all the LNBs all the time, not to mention the switches, and possibly motors.
Also, it's a nightmare to troubleshoot unpowered switches in as complicated a lash-up as you propose.
And, as you've discovered, all LNBs need to have two outputs, if you are going to support all the receivers.

It's hard to predict what Dee will wind up with at her parents house.
Multiple fixed dishes each with a dual output LNB followed by some multiswitches would probably provide the best user-experience.
But, her folks will never go for a dish-farm like she has at home.

Two motorized Ku dishes would probably push them to their limits.
So sharing a single BUD is no more likely to work than sharing a Ku dish.
She may not be able to have two independent dish/receiver setups.
That would still require the parents to find some common ground to share resources, and a switching layout that supports it.

Phottoman - it's rough for people to follow these technical discussions, with all their jargon.
I know a CS5k is a Coolsat 5000 (Coolsat 6000's are their equal), but what's a DUO ?
Even if all the participants of the thread know the terms, a new person reading the thread later would be helped by a clear and full explanation. :up

Well, we ordered an S9. It is supposed to have the new version remote control and an up to date US satellite list installed. It is supposed to be in before the end of the month and it's being shipped to my place. I'm going to do as was suggested and set it up here and work out all the details then move it to their place. I just hope I will be able to get one for myself in a few months.

Sometimes I think all these machines are conspiring to make me insane...

Oh, and once again, after many months of a severe, extreme drought, it is raining and the bottom has fallen out.. ALL of my ku dishes are out right now but my c-band is purring right along like nothing is going on..

Maybe my folks will want to get a small C-band dish in the future when they realize what all they can get between MeTV and thisTV. I'm going to suggest that when dad runs the wire for the ku dish that he also put into place a second wire for future use of another dish..

They both came by last week and mom walked around the yard looking at my dishes. All she did was lift an eyebrow and say "Oh my.." :rolleyes:

Phottoman - it's rough for people to follow these technical discussions, with all their jargon.
I know a CS5k is a Coolsat 5000 (Coolsat 6000's are their equal), but what's a DUO ?
Even if all the participants of the thread know the terms, a new person reading the thread later would be helped by a clear and full explanation. :up

Oops, sorry about that, I sometimes forget that some people weren't part of the craze that swept us a few years ago and the "DUO" is one of the CNX receivers, the Trio was top of the line, followed by the DUO then the Mini, and now the newer Mini has replaced all of those.

Photto

Dee-Ann, somewhere in the past I wrote a guide on upgrading your s9. It just ~might~ come in handy later if everything isn't the way you want it when you get it. It's a step by step guide based on a firmware that one of the members was good enough to post. Just ask, several people will send you in the right direction IF it becomes needed or necessary. I tried to make it as basic as possible and show a ton of pictures to guide anyone that needs to change the firmware packed in the s9. One place it will be needed is if you intend to watch The CW channels.

I would suggest that you show your Mom and Dad what you can receive, stick to the KU band ONLY. Go by what they want to watch and then build a "Favorites" list and show them how to get to it.

I have several Favorites listed in my first list (I believe there are something like 10 fav lists, maybe more, maybe less, I forget) and I believe you can stack upwards of 25 or more channels in that list.

Show it to your folks, and show them how to switch channels using the favorite list rather than showing them how complicated switching satellites on their own can be.

Later as they start experimenting with the controls, they can learn more of what IS up there and maybe they'll become members here and find things other than what you set up for them.

I'm not sure which remote comes with any of the s9 or s10 models now, but please, if things are still like they were, learn for yourself and then teach your parents what happens if they accidentally press the "Format" button. It can become hellish to recover from that if they press that key accidentally. You might want to write down the recovery in several places if things are still as they were when every one was having trouble with that ONE button. Some people even went to the extreme of opening the remote and blocking access to that one button, or maybe even removing it altogether. The function IF NEEDED can still be accessed within the controls under menu. Other's can explain that to you much better than I, I never seemed to have suffered that particular problem.

And once you start playing with the s9 you ordered, you'll start wishing you could get money back from some of those fancy tools you bought that we tried to talk you out of (did that seem catty?) so that you too can experience the wonderful world of the s9.

Good luck.

Photto

Dee-Ann, somewhere in the past I wrote a guide on upgrading your s9. It just ~might~ come in handy later if everything isn't the way you want it when you get it. It's a step by step guide based on a firmware that one of the members was good enough to post. Just ask, several people will send you in the right direction IF it becomes needed or necessary. I tried to make it as basic as possible and show a ton of pictures to guide anyone that needs to change the firmware packed in the s9. One place it will be needed is if you intend to watch The CW channels.

I would suggest that you show your Mom and Dad what you can receive, stick to the KU band ONLY. Go by what they want to watch and then build a "Favorites" list and show them how to get to it.

I have several Favorites listed in my first list (I believe there are something like 10 fav lists, maybe more, maybe less, I forget) and I believe you can stack upwards of 25 or more channels in that list.

Show it to your folks, and show them how to switch channels using the favorite list rather than showing them how complicated switching satellites on their own can be.

Later as they start experimenting with the controls, they can learn more of what IS up there and maybe they'll become members here and find things other than what you set up for them.

I'm not sure which remote comes with any of the s9 or s10 models now, but please, if things are still like they were, learn for yourself and then teach your parents what happens if they accidentally press the "Format" button. It can become hellish to recover from that if they press that key accidentally. You might want to write down the recovery in several places if things are still as they were when every one was having trouble with that ONE button. Some people even went to the extreme of opening the remote and blocking access to that one button, or maybe even removing it altogether. The function IF NEEDED can still be accessed within the controls under menu. Other's can explain that to you much better than I, I never seemed to have suffered that particular problem.

And once you start playing with the s9 you ordered, you'll start wishing you could get money back from some of those fancy tools you bought that we tried to talk you out of (did that seem catty?) so that you too can experience the wonderful world of the s9.

Good luck.

Photto

FORMAT, sounds like a BAD thing. I know that will erase your disk on your PC. Why would they put a button like that on a remote control? That's stupid!

If it's as bad as you say it is, I think that opening the remote and blocking that button is a good idea.

Being that I raised two kids, I have opened several remote controls and cordless phones in my day to clean out milk, soda water, koolaid, etc... There is a little circuit board in there with a rubber sheet of buttons. I could open the thing and put a little sticker over the board so that button can't work anymore.

I grabbed pictures from the tuner we bought and a close up of the remote control that comes with it.

As to upgrading, I do want to read about that though I want to avoid it if I can.
The seller we bought from claims that the tuner is up to date and has a recent, current US satellite list already in it.

We bought from a US dealer that had an excellent feedback rating and has been around for a number of years selling satellite stuff on ebay. They even offered a 3 year warranty on the thing.

Oh, and I just talked to my mom and told her that she will be watching PBS in HD soon and she said "I don't care what definition it is, as long as it's PBS!" So she's excited now too. Once she sees all the cool channels she'll flip out. All they ever had before was Houston PBS on OTA years ago (they lost it when things went digital) and back then it was not totally reliable, it depended on the weather mostly. They LOVE PBS but it simply is not available in this area anymore.

And my dad has a lifelong grudge with the cable company, they peeved him waaaaaaay back in the very early days of cable TV and he swore he'd never do business with them ever again. That was like 40 years ago and he's sticking to his promise.

Attachments

• openboxs9v3remote.jpg
    openboxs9v3remote.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 94
  • openboxs9tuner.JPG
    openboxs9tuner.JPG
    108.1 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
If I recall (please correct me if I'm wrong) what format the receiver puts out won't matter much, if you're plugged into a modern HD TV via HDMI.
If that is the case, don't worry 'bout the problem.

If I recall (please correct me if I'm wrong) what format the receiver puts out won't matter much, if you're plugged into a modern HD TV via HDMI.
If that is the case, don't worry 'bout the problem.

I read something about that if you press the format button the screen goes black and it's very hard to get it back to normal. Why in the world would they put something like that in there?
Knowing my folks, they WILL find and hit that button by accident. I think that the newer remote has that button removed or offset or something. I think it just needs to be GONE if it's such a bad thing. I mean really, why is it there at all? Sheesh.....

I guess I need to seek out, download and start reading a manual for that tuner. Maybe I can find the answer there.

Oh yes, one other thing. Several of the Openbox tuners I saw for sale mention things like "card sharing" and "private support" which I believe is related to stealing tv.
The tuner we bought did not mention these things in it's listing but if I find it has these things programmed into it I will need to erase this out of it, my folks absolutely will not let such a device enter their home and I don't blame them. The Coolsat 6000 I bought came in with questionable features programmed into it and I erased it back to a clean factory setting from a file I found here. Are there clean files available for the Openbox to remove shady options?

Thanks.. :)

Last edited:
Oh slightly off topic here but I wanted to repay the favor for all the help you guys have given me. I joined the paid supporters thing yesterday.
I don't expect access to the private sections, that's you guys territory. I just wanted to help keep the lights on here.

Thanks... :)

The format button changes the video output resolution/framerate of the receiver (480i, 720p, 1080i). Problem is, there are several foreign resolution/framerate settings which North American monitors won't display. When it hits one of those settings, the screen goes blank, and you can't see what you're doing.

Definitely should NOT be a button, as its a feature that really should only be set once and forgotten about.

The format button changes the video output resolution/framerate of the receiver (480i, 720p, 1080i). Problem is, there are several foreign resolution/framerate settings which North American monitors won't display. When it hits one of those settings, the screen goes blank, and you can't see what you're doing.

Definitely should NOT be a button, as its a feature that really should only be set once and forgotten about.

AH HA!!!!!!!! BAD BUTTON !!!!!!!!! :laser:{FORMAT}

I have that problem with the pc sometimes.

It used to just work. It went to a pc display and two tv sets all at the same time when it was on windows xp theater. Then dumb dumb installed the new windows on it and now it can only run one screen at a time, period. It also will only put out sound to one at a time as well.
If I turn off the pc screen in my office without stopping all apps including the satellite app and then changing the sound out source, all the screens go black and you can't do anything except turn the power off. Or if I go into my office and turn the pc screen on, same thing.

So I have to exit all apps and change the sound out before doing anything. It's extremely annoying and I really hate the new windows. I could choke his stupid neck for that! :mad:

I just realized that I can motorize that bigger dish! All I have to do is build a counter-balance weight that comes off of the motor tube, goes up, over and behind the motor to counter the pressure it puts on the motor tube. With the dish lower down the motor tube than the motor was designed for it would stress the motor and wear it out faster, right? I believe that has been discussed here before. But if you counter balance the dish so that the pressure on the motor tube isn't applied against the very end of the tube, it should essentially balance it out so that it's not acting like it's pressing down on the very end of the tube or actually, worse than that, further down the tube because it's extended due to the upside down mount.

Right? Does this make sense?

I was thinking about mounting the new Primestar dish I got from my dad onto a C-band motor and I was reading how you guys put weights to counter balance really big dishes so it doesn't strain the motors as much. I'm thinking this might work on the small scale too.

Am I onto something here? Or am I just nuts?

Thanks! :)

Attachments

• problem solved.resized.jpg
    problem solved.resized.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 113
I personally think you are opening a can of worms with that idea that you don't need. In this case, the wheel has already been invented, so why mess with it. It works, leave it alone. After all the work you have done, it's now time to relax and watch TV for a while. My opinion, for what it's worth.

As was already mentioned, the format button (Where your DVD INFO button is now) would change the format of the output to different standards than what we need or use in the USA for our TVs, such as PAL vrs what we watch. This receiver will do that and more. I wasn't aware that a newer remote was even available. It looks like that old Format button is gone, so that's good news.

Congrats on joining as a paid member, as soon as finances get better here I plan on going that route. But I have been promising myself that for the better part of a year now. Someday, yeah, but things are very hard (meaning "tight") right now in the finance department.

Dee-Ann, I read what you said, this is supposed to have all the US satellites in it, that's good. But you might want to see if it has the CW. If not, you'll have to add that channel. I am so behind times here, like I said, I like mine the way I have it set up now, so I don't have to mess with it any more.

As for anything illegal on the s9, forget that, not there, don't even worry about it. From what I have been able to understand, card sharing is for the Europeans, not happening in the US with this receiver. And besides, even if it DID have that "feature," it's something your folks would have to actively seek, find, install and work with, so not much danger there. Don't mention it to them and it'll never come up. When you bought the Coolsat it had questionable firmware in it, but once you figured that out, you got better satellite signals from the satellites you wanted, rather than bog the receiver down with pirate stuff that hindered your abilities to watch FTA. The s9 is different this way, plus the scrambled signals now up there are much harder to decode than what they were in the past. If you aren't interested in stealing signals then the s9 is a perfect receiver for you and your folks.

Just enjoy it, but be careful, it'll be VERY hard to give up and give back to your folks once you see what it CAN do.

Photto

I think that you were on something! (In a good way!) ;)

Whatever it was got your wheels a turning and it does

not look like they are slowing down at all!

You now are not afraid to tackle projects and tinker with things!!! :bow

Dee_Ann as a motor technician i can say tht the idea will relieve stress from a pivitol axis... but the weight is still there & no ku mover i have ever seen has thrust bearings installed to support that weight.... u would be putting all the stress on the gears inside the motor (albeit well worth the effort if u have a motor to spare)

Dee_Ann as a motor technician i can say tht the idea will relieve stress from a pivitol axis... but the weight is still there & no ku mover i have ever seen has thrust bearings installed to support that weight.... u would be putting all the stress on the gears inside the motor (albeit well worth the effort if u have a motor to spare)

Well, I don't have any idea what thrust bearings are. But it sounds like my idea will give it at least a little partial relief.

I was out poking around in the dark again and I found what looks like part of an old C-band lnb holder. I guess dumb dumb brought it here once upon a time.
Anyway, it's curved pretty much in the manner I have in mind.

Essentially, I am thinking that some sort of "arm" can be fashioned to attach to the dish then curve up, over and behind the motor to hold a counter weight, it would tip the dish up, so that all that weight isn't pressing against the end of the motor tube. If that makes any sense.

Now this thing I found is not shaped right and doesn't have any way to attach it to the dish properly but the basic shape is about what I have in mind.
I think it wouldn't be hard to find a piece of metal that I can bend and attach to the dish to do what I want. It doesn't have to be pretty or fancy, just effective.

I'm going to show this idea to my dad and see what he thinks too.

I made a really, really bad drawing of what I think happens with that dish mounted way low like it is with that upside down mount and then what I think it would do with the counter weight in place. Be prepared to laugh. I am not an artist.

Attachments

• motor weight .jpg
    motor weight .jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_4277.resized.JPG
    IMG_4277.resized.JPG
    151.8 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_4279.resized.JPG
    IMG_4279.resized.JPG
    127.6 KB · Views: 102
I just realized that I can motorize that bigger dish! All I have to do is build a counter-balance weight that comes off of the motor tube, goes up, over and behind the motor to counter the pressure it puts on the motor tube. With the dish lower down the motor tube than the motor was designed for it would stress the motor and wear it out faster, right? I believe that has been discussed here before. But if you counter balance the dish so that the pressure on the motor tube isn't applied against the very end of the tube, it should essentially balance it out so that it's not acting like it's pressing down on the very end of the tube or actually, worse than that, further down the tube because it's extended due to the upside down mount.

Right? Does this make sense?

I was thinking about mounting the new Primestar dish I got from my dad onto a C-band motor and I was reading how you guys put weights to counter balance really big dishes so it doesn't strain the motors as much. I'm thinking this might work on the small scale too.

Thanks! :)

Anything that adds mass - adds stress starting and stopping + the lack of thrust bearings already mentioned, could wear your motor faster or make accuracy suffer.
When you open a hatchback, what happens? a device lifts with you.
I have toyed with that concept myself as i have a 40 x 43 i may motorize :)I have not tried it yet.
Never stop thinking and being creative!

read up on what others have done

Anything that adds mass - adds stress starting and stopping + the lack of thrust bearings already mentioned, could wear your motor faster or make accuracy suffer.
I have toyed with that concept myself as i have a 40 x 43 i may motorize :)
In the old threads about putting big Primestar dishes on anemic little sg2100 motors, the best solution was to lighten the "dish" as much as possible.
What that usually entailed, was building some light weight replacement for the bracket/mount on the back of the dish.
Users often commented on saving several pounds. - :up

Here is some good reading material for when you just can't get to sleep. - ;)

Primestar dish on an SG2100 motor:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/23072-primestar-dish-sg2100.html

DirtyShame pix of motorized Primestar mount:
Primestar Dish on SG2100 ?

Lak7 shows Bob Jones University dish & elevation adjuster rod:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/c-band-...tures-dish-hunting-2008-a-14.html#post1495561

i do and then create.

Heh, I do read!
I even change a few things i see.
I love those direct mounts, great for tweaking.
This is my temp setup, it all needs to go to the backyard when i finish it.
Even the bud is mounted in a plastic insert that is greased with a point of contact for a large setscrew to hold it down
and keep it from rotating.
it has external- outside rebar to hold it from turning also. this is so i can yank it out with my loader later.
the super is on my test pole, i do my playing with that location.
I seem to change things often.

Attachments

• 30w 125w.jpg
    30w 125w.jpg
    542.7 KB · Views: 123
  • 97w non adjustable.jpg
    97w non adjustable.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 126
  • the bud.jpg
    the bud.jpg
    867.1 KB · Views: 121
  • HPIM0476.jpg
    HPIM0476.jpg
    829.5 KB · Views: 124
  • modded.jpg
    modded.jpg
    646.4 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)