Going to switch to Directv, Wiring Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

afail

Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
Pittsburgh
hello

I am going to be getting Directv and signing up for the package that offers the free HD DVR. In addition, I will have a regular HD box. I am going to be wiring my new house for cat 5 and was wondering what (if any) type of connections the satellite boxes require?

hello

I am going to be getting Directv and signing up for the package that offers the free HD DVR. In addition, I will have a regular HD box. I am going to be wiring my new house for cat 5 and was wondering what (if any) type of connections the satellite boxes require?

Directv rec's connect with RG-6 coax, also might want to get Compression fittings as they are the current connection being used.

? You know that D* does basic installation free, right ?

If you have other runs that you might want to run your self, that's fine too, you can probably skip the fittings and the D* guy would probably be happy to connect them for you, seeing you've already ran lines he would not have to run .

Yeah I know it is free

I want to run Cat5 through the walls and mount plates. So it is Coax only? I thought the boxes needed internet connectivity

I know with cable they would run you lines but would do so in a poor quality..

Last edited:
Yeah I know it is free

I want to run Cat5 through the walls and mount plates. So it is Coax only? I thought the boxes needed internet connectivity

I know with cable they would run you lines but would do so in a poor quality..

They don't need the internet but you will want to connect them so go ahead and run the Cat-5 as well as the Coax. They won't run it the way you want it without charging you for it. With the Cat-5 from your router to your DVR you will be able to use VOD.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)