Golf and Rugby Added to 2016 Olympics

So there is NO BASEBALL but there is RUGBY...??!!

Oh come on. Don't be such a Bubble Boy. Baseball is big in North America and pockets of Latin America. Throw in Japan and China too. Other than that, it's not a global sport.

Rugby is HUGE in Europe and many other countries represented in the Olympics. So is Golf, but you already know that.

Oh come on. Don't be such a Bubble Boy. Baseball is big in North America and pockets of Latin America. Throw in Japan and China too. Other than that, it's not a global sport.

Rugby is HUGE in Europe and many other countries represented in the Olympics. So is Golf, but you already know that.
Rugby is no more global than baseball. It's like cricket. Only countries that were British colonies play it. Baseball should not have been dropped, nor should softball. If you're going to start cutting sports the line should from behind synchronized swimming.

Rugby is no more global than baseball. It's like cricket. Only countries that were British colonies play it. Baseball should not have been dropped, nor should softball. If you're going to start cutting sports the line should from behind synchronized swimming.

Or curling...

Golf and Rugby? Darn, I was hoping this would be the year for that thing where you throw the bean bag into the pockets cut out of a board. I forget what you guys called it. ;)

Sandra

Rugby is not played as much in South America. I would say only most of Europe, some of the African continent, Australia and New Zealand.

Baseball is played in ALL of North, Central and South America, the Caribbean and the Far East.

I would say baseball would have the advantage. This all has to do with the owners not wanting to interrupt the major league baseball season.

Golf and Rugby? Darn, I was hoping this would be the year for that thing where you throw the bean bag into the pockets cut out of a board. I forget what you guys called it. ;)

Sandra

You didn't forget.

Cornhole.

IMHO,

Men's Golf.

If you play a simple individual tournament, how is that different from any of the 4 majors? Or, for that matter, from any normal week on the PGA Tour? In fact, if the US, and for that matter, the UK and Australia, is limited in the number of entries, the field would be far weaker than a Major. I would rather watch the USA quals than the actual tournament.

If you play any form of team competition, the USA is such a favorite it is rediculious. The USA has a significant advantage over an all-Europe team in the Ryder Cup and an even greater one over an all-"not Europe" team in the President's Cup. It is hard to imagine any single country fielding a team of 4 to 12 players that could take the USA. In fact, a second, third, fourth and even fifth USA team would come in before any other.

Women's Golf:

While the field is much more international (my money would be on South Korea), and the sport could use the attention, the same can be said. How is this much different from a women's Major?

Rugby:

Pretty much limited, at its highest level, to the UK and its former colonies. And it already has its own world championship. And, if I understand it correctly, the UK does not participate in Olympic soccer, because its four "nations" play seperatly in the World Cup (England, Wales, Scotland, NI). If it followed suit, then Rugby is further marginalized.

BTW, Woods was born in 1975. 2016 - 1975 = 41. Probably done by then. The first Olympic medalist is probably in high school today.

IMHO,

Men's Golf.

If you play a simple individual tournament, how is that different from any of the 4 majors? Or, for that matter, from any normal week on the PGA Tour? In fact, if the US, and for that matter, the UK and Australia, is limited in the number of entries, the field would be far weaker than a Major. I would rather watch the USA quals than the actual tournament.

If you play any form of team competition, the USA is such a favorite it is rediculious. The USA has a significant advantage over an all-Europe team in the Ryder Cup and an even greater one over an all-"not Europe" team in the President's Cup. It is hard to imagine any single country fielding a team of 4 to 12 players that could take the USA. In fact, a second, third, fourth and even fifth USA team would come in before any other.

Women's Golf:

While the field is much more international (my money would be on South Korea), and the sport could use the attention, the same can be said. How is this much different from a women's Major?

Rugby:

Pretty much limited, at its highest level, to the UK and its former colonies. And it already has its own world championship. And, if I understand it correctly, the UK does not participate in Olympic soccer, because its four "nations" play seperatly in the World Cup (England, Wales, Scotland, NI). If it followed suit, then Rugby is further marginalized.

BTW, Woods was born in 1975. 2016 - 1975 = 41. Probably done by then. The first Olympic medalist is probably in high school today.
It'll be interesting to see how the golf does work out. One thing about golf is that there's absolutely no telling who will win any given tournament, besides Tiger that is. As far as being different from a major it's similar to tennis in that repect. The Olympics is not bigger than the majors, but it's a hell of a lot better than the Bob Hope Invitational. When a competition is only held once every four years it is going to be somewhat special. And playing in Rio will be a unique challenge for the golfers, as there are no significant tournaments in South America.

Last edited:
Ok, I can agree with golf. It's played by people all over.

But to add Rugby while removing Baseball is ridiculous. More people, by far, play baseball than rugby. I agree with Salsa that it has to do with the owners not kowtowing to the Olympic Committee and allowing the players to play. After all, how dare professional owners think they're better than the Olympics.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts