Golf and Rugby Added to 2016 Olympics

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I don't care for Mike Lupica (the irritating know-it-all on the end on Sports Reporters) generally, but he has a great saying relative to the Olympics.

If the Olympics are not the be-all and end-all of your sport, they have no business there. I agree. Basketball, baseball, rugby, golf, soccer, ice hockey, and tennis already have worldwide championships that are far more significant than the Olympics, so why play them as a part of the Olympics?

Oh, as here are some questions I have seen. If you are going to add rugby and golf, why wait to 2016, when the sports are in Brazil, where they are unknown to unpopular, rather than in 2012 in the UK, where both sports were invented and are very popular? Particulaly golf.

BTW, the 2016 summer Olympics are not even being held in the summer. It really does not matter, because Rio is in the tropics, but August is mid-winter there.

As to baseball, I really do not see a worldwide desire, among either the players or the fans, to determine a champion on a "nation vs. nation" level, nor do I think that such a thing can be determined in short tournament in a sport where, over a season, the best team will lose 1/3rd of its games and the worst team will win 1/3.

I really feel sorry for the women in softball, which got lumped in with baseball. They deserve to be in the Olympics.

Oh come on. Don't be such a Bubble Boy. Baseball is big in North America and pockets of Latin America. Throw in Japan and China too. Other than that, it's not a global sport.

Rugby is HUGE in Europe and many other countries represented in the Olympics. So is Golf, but you already know that.
As far as major sports go (i.e. bowling doesn't count), baseball is only behind a few as a global sport. I would only put Soccer, Tennis, and Golf ahead of baseball. Even basketball is growing in Europe and it is in the Olympics, but it is not as big around the globe as is baseball.

I am a well-known lifetime soccerbasher. So I am not afraid to call a sport for what it is. Rugby seems like a fine sport that could be quite popular in much of the world, although I think Australian Rules football is superior. It seems to have strategy, beauty, and all the the values that soccerheads claim is in soccer, if only we oafish Americans could just "understand" the world's most simplistic game. Rugby is a fine sport.

The problems with rugby are that it is currently popular only in British decended places and few smatering other countries, and it, most importantly, already has a world championship set up on a national basis.

I am a well-known lifetime soccerbasher. So I am not afraid to call a sport for what it is. Rugby seems like a fine sport that could be quite popular in much of the world, although I think Australian Rules football is superior. It seems to have strategy, beauty, and all the the values that soccerheads claim is in soccer, if only we oafish Americans could just "understand" the world's most simplistic game. Rugby is a fine sport.

The problems with rugby are that it is currently popular only in British decended places and few smatering other countries, and it, most importantly, already has a world championship set up on a national basis.

Not mention that Europe has alot of pull when it comes to the competition in the Olympic committee.

Regardless what it means, I still want you to walk up to a rugby player and say that! :D

Sandra
So you don't know.

It is an actual game played by children. When I was a child, just about every boy I knew played smear the queer, dodger ball, and butts up.

Urban Dictionary: smear the queer

"Smear the Queer" How it Works: The kid who has the ball (or stick, or balled up shirt, or whatever object is used) is "it" and therefore the "queer". The rest of the kids chase the "it" kid down until he is tackled (usually in a dog pile fashion). The caught kid then tosses the object away where the other kids gather around it and wait to see who has the guts to pick it up and start running. There is a big advantage to being quick on the pickup so as to get a better running start. There are no scores and no one "wins". It is a childhood game of bravado designed to blow off boyhood energy.

When we played we actually kept score by creating an endzone. If the "queer" made it into the endzone, then he gets a point. This way everyone wanted to get the ball from whomever had it.

I can understand the relationship to rugby...but I STILL dare you walk up to a rugby player and say that! ;)

Sandra

I can understand the relationship to rugby...but I STILL dare you walk up to a rugby player and say that! ;)

Sandra

IF they played "smear the queer"when they were youg...they would know EXACTLY what you mean and only retort would be...."yeah, but now we get paid WELL for it....!"

And that would be the end all of that conversation.

Most of the Rugby players I know have said as much....they get it.;)

Golf in the Olympics is a travesty. What would be the point? All the best players get together for the best tournaments already.

And there is no team concept whatsoever.

Sandra

Breaking Jersey Shore Newsflash: Individual Sports do exist in the Olympics. Ask Michael Phelps and Usain Bolt. :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)