Tiger says he’d play in Olympics

cosmo_kramer

Master of my Domain
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2005
41.605N, -72.879W
No surprise here!!

Tiger Woods is interested in adding a gold medal to his collection of green jackets.

Woods indicated Tuesday that he would play in the Olympics if golf became part of the program in 2016. The International Olympic Committee executive board is to meet Thursday in Berlin to recommend two sports for inclusion in the 2016 games. Golf and rugby sevens are considered the favorites.

Tiger says he'd play in Olympics - Golf - Yahoo! Sports

I love how golf and rugby are being added to the Olympics and Baseball has been taken out. I wonder if the current state of the MLB has anything to do with the sport's dying fanbase throughout the world? Hmmmm.....

I doubt it. Baseball has always been a low sport in a world wide aspect. Only other countries that really were hardcore baseball was Cuba, Domincan Republic, and Japan. It was only an official sport in just a few Olympics anyway.

Last edited:
I doubt it. Baseball has always been a low sport in a world wide aspect. Only other countries that really were hardcore baseball was Cuba, Domincan Republic, and Japan. It was only an official sport in just a few Olympics anyway.

Yep. Very few countries even have some kind of professional league. Rugby and golf on the other hand, are played MORE world wide than baseball is.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMHO,

I am not the biggest Lupica fan, but he once said "if the Olympics is not the be all and end all of a sport, it does not belong in the Olympics." I agree. That applies to hockey, basketball, tennis, baseball, soccer, and certainly to golf.

I kind of like Rugby. Its hard to follow in the USA, but it seems to also fit in to the above catagory as well. It has an organized system of international competition.

Baseball is closely followed in the USA, Canada, Japan, Taiwan, the ex-Spanish Carribbean, Mexico, Venezuela, and has a reasonable following in Columbia, Panama, South Korea, and elsewhere. That is plenty. The problem with baseball in the Olympics is that the US MLB do not play, as those in the NHL and NBA do.

Now to golf. We already determine the best golfer, every year, at the Augusta National Golf Course, on the first Sunday in April.

How would you set this up? If its just an individual medal play competition, then its indistinguishable from the four Majors. Actually the USA Olympic Trials would be a better tournament than the actual Olympics.

And, if you look at the two Cups (Ryder and President's) the USA holds an advantage versus "Europe" and "not Europe". The USA in a team deal vs any single country is a competition for second, even if Woods did not play. The USA could pick five 10 man teams and they would finish 1st-5th.

Actually, the women's competitions would be far more interesting. My money would be on Korea.

And, lastly, unless NBC is willing to just spool up golf on a channel by itself, you would not get to see the competition in the way we are used to seeing Majors covered.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts