good 311k replacement?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Avid Gamer

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2015
Our 311k receiver we received from Dish several years ago (free replacement to replace our old 301 because of the 8PSK conversion) finally died. It was junk from day one but still it worked until now.
Anyways, does any one know of a good replacement for it? Non-DVR types... My mother hates fancy new technology. LOL
She has a Dish 500 Twin LNB.
I did a chat with Dish and was told if I bought a used 311k off ebay, they would not activate it as it is, well, I'll just quote the tech:

"It looks like that this kind of receiver can't no longer be activate on the account since this is already obsolete."

So I cannot buy the same model for $40 and just swap it out, call them to activate and I'm done...
The tech also suggested upgrading the receiver to a VIP 211 (for $50 from Dish without a 2 year renewal) but said a tech would have to come out to change the wire (but free installation). It is a good deal but I refused telling the tech that the cable is buried underground at my tower and my Internet cable coming from my Internet providers equipment to the house is buried UNDER the cable for the satellite, so I do not really want that does as I'm afraid my Internet cable would get cut in half and I'd have to call my Internet provider to have it replaced. The tech shrugged it off and simply said I didn't have to worry about that as the tech would do that. o_O

So, I was wondering if:
1. You guys knew the difference between the VIP 211 and the VIP 211K (which one do I need for this 500 dish with this new QPSK system that is now in place?)
2. What cable is required for the new receiver? Why can't the existing cable be used (I *think* it was RG-6 Dual Shield? Been looong time since that was done)...
3. Can I just buy a used VIP 211 (or 211k?) receiver/smart card from ebay and swap it out myself and call to activate it?

The existing cable should be fine, as long as the previous receiver was still getting signal from the dish. You can absolutely purchase any 211 model and install and activate yourself. The current dish she's using is not a dish that will provide high definition programming, so if your mom doesn't care about that, then I'd say just order that 211.

You guys knew the difference between the VIP 211 and the VIP 211K

I think the 211 is silver and the 211k is black and smaller. I have never laid eyes on either, so please somebody correct me if I'm wrong about that. You could also buy an even smaller 211z, but that one lacks a built-in OTA tuner. A Wally would also work but then your mother would have to deal with the God-awful carbon UI on Wallies and Hoppers.

Reactions: JSheridan
"You can absolutely purchase any 211 model and install and activate yourself. "
I've never been able to activate a receiver myself. How do I do that?!? Please do tell! Do I log into my Dish account and activate there somewhere?

I forgot something else. I mentioned to the ebay seller (311k receiver) that Dish stated in the chat that they wouldn't activate it and he replied stating, and I quote:
"That's interesting because I looked at the feedback from the last 3 of these exact models that have sold on Ebay in the last 2 months and there are no complaints. Sounds like Dish is trying to sell you an upgrade?"
Is this possible?

Not sure where they are reading that from but I found this..I wouldn't trust anything someone tells me from fleabay..You have to call dish to activate new receiver..and need to be hooked up

• by auhistorydaveJun 26, 2019
    Do not buy this receiver-Dishnet will not activate due to age and not compatible with their newer system.

Do not buy this receiver! Dishnet no longer uses these older receivers. I did try several times to have the unit activated, but in the end had to purchase one of their new receivers

• ...Some older receivers can still be activated on the RV dish accounts but not on home accounts

Tvland1
Correct me if I'm wrong but that review you quoted was for a 311, not a 311k. 311 has not been usable on Dish for years, hence his statement "not compatible with their newer system". I quote from years back here on satelliteguys.us:

I think the point of the 311k is to replace the 311 which is 8PSK but only MPEG2 capable, the 311k will be MPEG4 capable.
New Receiver DISH 311K

I'm referring to a 311k, which has been activated and working for us for years (ever since Dish's QPSK/8PSK changeover)...

"That's interesting because I looked at the feedback from the last 3 of these exact models that have sold on Ebay in the last 2 months and there are no complaints. Sounds like Dish is trying to sell you an upgrade?"
You go right ahead and follow this guys advice from eBay and let us know how you get along with getting it activated.. :)

The switch out by the tech would not require doing anything with your cable. What they would do is change out the antenna, and receiver. Neither of which would require doing anything to the cable.

The tech I chatted with said only the wire had to be replaced (as I told him we don't want HD-SD is fine), so can I just buy a 211k (used off ebay) and call to activate it? Do you think the Dish tech will *force* me to allow them to send an installer to install a new cable? Is there by chance any techs here that work for Dish that knows?
Reason also being that my mother doesn't want some stranger coming in the house when I'm not there (I work a lot and I'm booked up for several weeks). I figure if an installer comes out to change the wire, he'll HAVE to come in to check the installation...
Plus, I don't want to buy directly from Dish because I'm quite sure *my* credit card info would be saved in my mother's account (like her sister's card info is; her sister is nice enough to pay her Dish bill every month, which is another reason I'm trying to do everything myself if possible as her daughter just had a baby so money's tight at her house so we don't want added cost for her to pay for us).

So to recap, is there a Dish tech here by chance that can tell me if I can purchase a 211k receiver off ebay, call Dish (or chat) and get it activated without additional cost or an installer coming out?
Any advice is greatly appreciated as I'm banging my head against the wall at this point... (not literally of course LOL)

So to recap, is there a Dish tech here by chance that can tell me if I can purchase a 211k receiver off ebay, call Dish (or chat) and get it activated without additional cost or an installer coming out?

I believe the answer is "Yes", although the wrinkle is the 211/k is an HD receiver. But I haven't done this recently, so I hope other folks will chime in. Is HD free these days?

The tech I chatted with said only the wire had to be replaced (as I told him we don't want HD-SD is fine), so can I just buy a 211k (used off ebay) and call to activate it? Do you think the Dish tech will *force* me to allow them to send an installer to install a new cable? Is there by chance any techs here that work for Dish that knows?
Reason also being that my mother doesn't want some stranger coming in the house when I'm not there (I work a lot and I'm booked up for several weeks). I figure if an installer comes out to change the wire, he'll HAVE to come in to check the installation...
Plus, I don't want to buy directly from Dish because I'm quite sure *my* credit card info would be saved in my mother's account (like her sister's card info is; her sister is nice enough to pay her Dish bill every month, which is another reason I'm trying to do everything myself if possible as her daughter just had a baby so money's tight at her house so we don't want added cost for her to pay for us).

Any advice is greatly appreciated as I'm banging my head against the wall at this point... (not literally of course LOL)

There are no cable specifications for a 211. Unless the existing cable is damaged, there's no reason to change it. The Antenna may need to be changed whether you care about HD or not. It's always a good idea to have a tech check the installation, especially if it's been years since one has been out there.

The last place on Earth I would ever, EVER buy a receiver is off eBay. That's just ridiculous. TBH, with Amazon, I forgot eBay even exists. I send all my customers who ask about buying a receiver online (Thanks to the suggestion here on SG.com) Solid Signal

So you can't not never do undo?

With a CSR like that, I wouldn't worry too much about what he said. You could play CSR roulette.

What TV does she watch? Is it HD capable? She might be pleasantly surprised.

The ViP211 series is OLD. Don't count on many years of it functioning, or Dish continuing support.

Yes, the Wally will have "pictures" (tiles) but she may find that easier and learning now will be easier than learning later. And the Wally will be around a lot longer.

No DVR? Behavior is the same. And she can learn just one thing- hit pause. She may take it from there.

Sent from my iPad3 using the SatelliteGuys app! Only because can't get Tapatalk to work on such an old device. I'll shift to Chrome on this, too, eventually.

Reactions: charlesrshell
The Antenna may need to be changed whether you care about HD or not.

The last place on Earth I would ever, EVER buy a receiver is off eBay. That's just ridiculous. TBH, with Amazon, I forgot eBay even exists. I send all my customers who ask about buying a receiver online (Thanks to the suggestion here on SG.com) Solid Signal

She has an HD TV but is happy with the standard definition satellite reception. She does NOT like change. Hates trying to learn something new... LOL
As for Solid Signal, I've already checked their website and it said not available, something to that effect.

So you can't not never do undo?

With a CSR like that, I wouldn't worry too much about what he said. You could play CSR roulette.

What TV does she watch? Is it HD capable? She might be pleasantly surprised.

The ViP211 series is OLD. Don't count on many years of it functioning, or Dish continuing support.

Yes, the Wally will have "pictures" (tiles) but she may find that easier and learning now will be easier than learning later. And the Wally will be around a lot longer.

No DVR? Behavior is the same. And she can learn just one thing- hit pause. She may take it from there.

Sent from my iPad3 using the SatelliteGuys app! Only because can't get Tapatalk to work on such an old device. I'll shift to Chrome on this, too, eventually.

She already refused the idea of Wally. I already asked. She wants something simple similar to the old 301 or 311k she's been using... :)
And she threw the idea of a DVR out the window! Like I said, she HATES HATES the idea of something new! <sigh>
So, I'm stuck trying to activate something older. And yeah, the 211k will soon be obsolete I'm sure but if it gets her by a few years, so be it! LOL

Reactions: navychop
In the remote past, I bought several refurbished receivers off Ebay with good results. Of course I checked the numbers with Dish to make sure it was free and clear.

In the remote past, I bought several refurbished receivers off Ebay with good results. Of course I checked the numbers with Dish to make sure it was free and clear.
Yes, that's exactly what I did the other day during my chat with the Dish reps (kept getting transferred to a higher level tech). I wanted to make sure there were no outstanding dues on the account that the receivers were registered to. The rep (tech) also asked me what the smart card number was but I couldn't answer that as the number wasn't visible in the pic. I'm sure they wanted to verify it was the same smart card that was "married" to the receiver originally but I couldn't answer that... That's when the tech told me I had to have my wiring replaced by an installer, but it would be free with the $50 VIP 211 receiver I buy from them (and that's when I ended (politely) my chat with him/her...)

Reactions: TheKrell and HipKat

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)