Good Books

The 12th planet by Zechariah Sitchin, about the mysteries of the Sumerian civilization which history considers one of the oldest in the planet. and his theory that their "gods" came from another planet.

Hey Tiger, the 4th book in the Immortals Series came out a couple of weeks ago. It was my favorite yet! Title is "The Dark Flame". If your library doesn't have it yet, tell them to get it! The fifth book will be coming out this winter. I am hooked on this series, it just keeps getting better!
Finally got to read this... I enjoyed it. I was bored yesterday and had a few hours before HIFI was going to be home; I finished it about fifteen minutes before he got home. It is definitely getting more and more interesting. Looking forward to the next one.:)

Also, I checked out the whole set of the Chronicles of Narnia. I don't remember reading The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe when I was younger, so I thought I would give it all a try. I haven't seen the movies, so I have no idea if I will like the books. Hope I do, but we will see.

I also got Fade Away by Harlan Coben.

Hey, mrs. smith, have you seen the leaked chapters for Midnight Sun, by Steph Meyer? Apparently it's Twilight, but from Edward's perspective.

Yeah, I read it awhile back. Its very good but will leave you annoyed because of the abrupt ending. I wish she would finish it, and I would also love to see her write new moon from his perspectiv.

I rechecked out The Host by Steph Meyer. I'm gonna really give it a go this time, and I have until Oct. 3 to finish or renew.

Also checked out Without Mercy by Lisa Jackson. She's one I want to read more from, so I've added her to my list at the library. I didn't know they have this tool I can use online to keep track of what I've read and what I want to read.

Has anyone read the ABC series by Sue Grafton? I thought they looked interesting as well, so I checked out the first three, A is for Alibi, B is for Burglar, and C is for Corpse.

Thanks tiger for this thread, I was wondering if there was something like this here.

I used to read all the time back in high school, when I had too much time but after HS got busy juggling two jobs, college and then came the Army. a few decades later I'm retired and on my bucket list is to read again. I discovered audible.com and find fiction best on that as I can listen to the books when driving and doing chores. Other works I like in print and now read most of those on my ipad, including using the Kindle ap for ipad.

Haven't seen anyone mention books by Nelson Demille. I just finished The Lion's Game followed by The Lion, a sequel. If you decide to read these be sure to read The Lion's Game first of the second won't make any sense. Both are like Dan Brown books in that they keep you in suspense, hard to put down. Follows the adventures of a retired NYC homicide cop who now is hunted and hunts an international ruthless terrorist on a mission of personal revenge. Parts of the story take place in my backyard, both where I lived in NY and here in Jacksonville, FL. It was fascinating seeing how he wove in those locations and how accurate he was.

I loaded my audible.com ap on my PDA phone and listen with the BT hands free which works very well.

Non fiction stuff has been all the Jim Cramer Books lately. I have some on my ipad and some on audible and hard copy as well. These are more like study and reference books so having them on the ipad with annotations is great!

Presently, I'm reading Hawking's The Grand Design on the Kindle ap. about half way through it. Have to read stuff like this slow because it is pretty deep.

Other fiction I've read are the works of Dan Brown. Just finished The Deception Point last week. I also read Digital Fortress which was very good. Angels and Demons was disappointing as I had some preconceived notion ( my imagination) what it was about but after I read it discovered the title didn't match the story.

Scott- Thanks for the reference on that book. I am going to get that one. You know why! Heck I was thinking of writing a book like that after this past year but now I see someone has beaten me to it. :)

I rechecked out The Host by Steph Meyer. I'm gonna really give it a go this time, and I have until Oct. 3 to finish or renew.

Also checked out Without Mercy by Lisa Jackson. She's one I want to read more from, so I've added her to my list at the library. I didn't know they have this tool I can use online to keep track of what I've read and what I want to read.

Has anyone read the ABC series by Sue Grafton? I thought they looked interesting as well, so I checked out the first three, A is for Alibi, B is for Burglar, and C is for Corpse.

I read the Sue Grafton ones a long time ago. I remember I liked them. I can't even remember what letter I got up to before I "never got time to read any more"

I started doing the Audible books on my Iphone a little over a year ago when my son bought me a subscription. Now I listen on my way to and from work and when I am doing things like laundry. I missed getting to sit down and read and I still do. The thing with the audible books is that you have to listen to the person reading the book. Some of them I just can not stand listening to.
I have always been a huge fan of Mary Higgens Clark and will read/listen to any of her books (as long as I can stand the narrator!) I just finished listening to The Perfect Murder by Brenda Novak. It was a good listen so I imagine it would be a good read.

Rocky- question for you on the Kindle-

I just finished reading The Grand Design by Steven Hawking. It uses a number of illustrations that reference color coding. If your Kindle only supports B&W, how would one be able to see the differences in the data if color coded? I read it using the Kindle Ap on my ipad. I got it on the day it was released and Kindle was the only place it was available in an ebook form.
Also, the book makes many references to terms I needed to research and having it on a device that supported easy copy, and search made it quick to understand some of the more difficult concepts.

Just finished another Nelson DeMIlle book- Wild Fire Not as good as other Demille books but still a good suspenseful read with terrorist threat theme solved by husband and wife FBI team.

Rocky- question for you on the Kindle-

I just finished reading The Grand Design by Steven Hawking. It uses a number of illustrations that reference color coding. If your Kindle only supports B&W, how would one be able to see the differences in the data if color coded? I read it using the Kindle Ap on my ipad. I got it on the day it was released and Kindle was the only place it was available in an ebook form.
Also, the book makes many references to terms I needed to research and having it on a device that supported easy copy, and search made it quick to understand some of the more difficult concepts.

The kindle is not black and white with graphics; it is grey scale.

Not every book is ideal for an ebook; I have never said it was; not sure why you are trying to pick a kindle fight again. It has never been clear to me why you are so negative on a device you have never used, or why it matters.

Finished The Sinner, started Karin Slaughter's Blindsided, but then switched to Michael Connelly's The Reversal when it came out on Tuesday. So far up to Connelly standards.

Second half of Connie Willis' latest mega-novel is out next Tuesday. I've had it on order from Amazon for 5 months now.

Still frustrates me how the publisher and author made no attempt to create two books out of it. They just chopped it off at a chapter end. Left people hanging. Introduced new characters right at the end, etc. It left me with no sense of closure.

FYI: last one was "Balckout". New one is "All Clear". About time travelling historians during the London Blitz in WW2.

Finished Scott Turrow's non-fiction book on the application of the death penalty in Illinois. Interesting, but controversial read. Be advised that the last 100 pages are the actual commission report, and not Scott.
Amazon.com: Ultimate Punishment: A Lawyer's Reflections on Dealing with the Death Penalty (9780312423735): Scott Turow: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41ARRqLMdZL.@@AMEPARAM@@41ARRqLMdZL

The kindle is not black and white with graphics; it is grey scale.

Not every book is ideal for an ebook; I have never said it was; not sure why you are trying to pick a kindle fight again. It has never been clear to me why you are so negative on a device you have never used, or why it matters.

Don't be so paranoid! Kindle is a much lower price point but I was wondering how the Kindle would deal with a book Amazon releases for it that makes use of color coded charts. Obviously you haven't run across it before and don't know. I don't believe Kindle and ipad are competitors anymore than a bicycle is with a motorcycle especially given Amazon's release of the ipad app.

Don't be so paranoid! Kindle is a much lower price point but I was wondering how the Kindle would deal with a book Amazon releases for it that makes use of color coded charts. Obviously you haven't run across it before and don't know. I don't believe Kindle and ipad are competitors anymore than a bicycle is with a motorcycle especially given Amazon's release of the ipad app.

Fair enough, but read your original question, and the first thing I thought was that you were trying to point out a shortcoming of the Kindle. I agree the ipad and kindle should not be considered competitors. And I certainly see the value of an ipad for a LOT of things, including newspaper/magazine reading. I just wish the device was a little lighter in the hand.

Back to the question, I don't tend to read books of that nature on a kindle, but I have several with many illustrations, and the greyscale and contrast is good enough that the black and white screen works decently. But if the defining characteristics are actual color codings, I am not sure how well it would work. What is the name of the book, and I will download a sample of it to my Kindle and see.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)