Good Cheap Wireless Bridge/Repeater?

yourbeliefs

Something Profound
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 20, 2007
Northeast
My boss is having the problem of his wireless router not being strong enough to cover his huge house, so I want to play hero and give him a good solution. Unfortunately I don't know much about wireless technology. Is there a good and rather inexpensive repeater/bridge solution that I can recommend him?

I would either purchase one from the same manufacturer as the router or go with one of the Hawking Technology products. I have seen to many configuration problems with mixing manufacturers and the Hawking repeaters claim ease of setup and greater compatibility.

Ubiquiti products are cheap and should get the job done and they have a good bit of power, more than what the average router would have.

If he really wants to do it for cheap, buy a used Linksys WRT54G from ebay, craigslist or a resale shop. Flash it with DD-WRT and set it up in Wireless Bridge or Repeater Mode.
I'm doing this with 2 units already. It's much better than using a commercial range extender, because the WRT54G (running DD-WRT) can be used as an ethernet bridge and wireless extender at the same time. Not many of the commercial extenders can do that.

one of the not so cheap options is using a cisco aironet access point.
we put one in a doctor's office for their tablet pc's. the single access point covers a very large office with strong signal coverage.

Amazon.com: Buffalo Technology Wireless-G High Power Router and Access Point with High Gain Antenna WHR-HP-G54: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31wCDhTNxTL.@@AMEPARAM@@31wCDhTNxTL

Buy one of those. It has a high-powered amplifier built in, and a range you wouldn't believe. It also has a switch at the bottom, that allows you to set it to bridge mode if you'd like. I have one, and they are wonderful. You can also flash it with DD-WRT if you'd like, but you don't have to.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts