Good FTA HD channels & receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I have Pm'd the customer to assist him further late last night as I was waiting on a decision on a couple of options I came up with to help him out. I did not just leave it at 20% restock with a take it or leave it scenario. Im here to make sure that any issue is resolved to the best of my abilities.
Thanks!
Robert

I have Pm'd the customer to assist him further late last night as I was waiting on a decision on a couple of options I came up with to help him out. I did not just leave it at 20% restock with a take it or leave it scenario. Im here to make sure that any issue is resolved to the best of my abilities.
Thanks!
Robert
Robert,
Thanks for offering to reduce the restocking fee from 20% to 10%. However, I don't want to exchange it for a SonicView 8000 which costs $50 more and doesn't have DVB-S2.

I'm still better off selling the VS Max HD on eBay. I'll mention in my ebay ad that blind scan doesnt work.

I guess the tough lesson is to read some reviews before coughing up $300 for hardware
Yes, wish I'd done that first. So all I can do now is tell others what to expect if they get a Max HD.

I have emailed the folks at Viewsat to see if they will release a firmware update to correct the blind scan issue. Will be sure to post some information as soon as I receive it.
Thanks

I have emailed the folks at Viewsat to see if they will release a firmware update to correct the blind scan issue. Will be sure to post some information as soon as I receive it.
Thanks
That would be great, thanks.

If they are able to fix it, I think they would sell quite a few more to users of this forum.

Too bad they spent all their effort on a very cool looking GUI, but forgot about one of the basic functions.

Brett

Blind scan would be nice but the lack of dvb-s2 still makes it a poor receiver.
DVB-S2 is listed in the technical specs for the reciever. But I have learned my lesson about relying solely on technical specs.

Which FTA channel could I try to see if DVB-S2 really works?

103 W
12000 H 30000 5/6 Pilot ON DVB-S2 8psk
NBC HD
Q=35% on my CS8000, very watchable
I was not able to get NBC HD from 103W on my Viewsat Max HD. I was able to get the Pentagon channel, and other channels on 103W, so I know my dish was aimed properly.

Viewsat Max does not do dvb-s2, well that is what was posted about it, I never had one.
Agreed, the specifications I read at GOsatellite.com - FTA Receiver - Viewsat Max say its 'MPEG2 & DVB-S2 Compliant'. These are the same as the specs posted at viewsatusa.com. It is simply wrong about DVB-S2. I even tried a different satellite - 105W (AMC-18) C-Band for NBC HD. Still didn't work.

Why does Viewsat post a false specification?

DVB-S2 is listed in the technical specs for the reciever. But I have learned my lesson about relying solely on technical specs.

Which FTA channel could I try to see if DVB-S2 really works?

I would expect a full refund, no questions asked. The unit is obviously defective. If Gosatellite.com can't replace it with one that works as advertised, at their expense, you should be entitled to a full refund. It's not your fault that the unit doesn't work. There are laws against false advertising.

Did you buy it in the US or CA? Both Viewsat and Go Satellite have a US presence:

Viewtech, Inc. #446 (Viewsat USA)
4140 Oceanside Blvd. #159
Oceanside, CA 92056
Phone: 1-888-VIEWSAT (843-9728)
Phone: 1-760-754-9880
Fax: 1-760-754-9882

American Headquarters
GO Satellite Inc.
800 5th Avenue
Suite 101-461
Seattle, WA 98104
1-866-942-7186

I would file a complaint with the WA (Go Satellite), CA (Viewsat USA) and your own state's Attorney General's office. They should be able to help you obtain a full refund including shipping charges (both ways).

Last edited:
I would expect a full refund, no questions asked. The unit is obviously defective. If Gosatellite.com can't replace it with one that works as advertised, at their expense, you should be entitled to a full refund. It's not your fault that the unit doesn't work.

Did you buy it in the US or CA?

After a few days of negotiations, Robert from GoSatellite agreed to lower the restocking fee from 20% to 10%, but there would be some additional credit card fees resulting in a refund of $250.56. It would have cost me $20.61 to ship it back to Canada via UPS. So I would have netted $229.95.

Instead of hassling more with GoSatellite, I sold the VS Max HD on eBay today for $229. In my eBay ad I took out the false specs about 'DVB-S2 compliant' and noted that blindscan doesnt work.

Now I'm back to my search for a DVB-S2 receiver that can view NBC-HD on 105W. I have been told that there is no receiver that blindscans DVB-S2. But if there is one that just receives DVB-S2 once you know the transponder info and can also blindscan plain old DVB, that would be great.

I am sorry to see they are still listed as a gold sponsor. I guess that tells us that Scott wants money more than integrity! Yes that is my opinion of both and I am expressing it. I have complained about the sponsor and the company is still listed! By their fruits you know them.

POP

Now I'm back to my search for a DVB-S2 receiver that can view NBC-HD on 105W. I have been told that there is no receiver that blindscans DVB-S2. But if there is one that just receives DVB-S2 once you know the transponder info and can also blindscan plain old DVB, that would be great.

As long as the NBC channels are 4:2:0 then the Pansat 9200 would be one box that will do what you want. I have the Pansat so I know the blind scan works good on DVB S

I am sorry to see they are still listed as a gold sponsor. I guess that tells us that Scott wants money more than integrity! Yes that is my opinion of both and I am expressing it. I have complained about the sponsor and the company is still listed! By their fruits you know them.

POP
I agree. The only reason I chose to order from them was that they are listed as a gold sponsor. I thought 'If they are recommended here, they must be good.'

I am SO happy I got rid of the Viewsat Max HD and do not have to deal with GoSatellite anymore.

The problem is that manufacturer's specs do not always coincide with reality. And the dealers just cut and paste the specs onto their website without verification.

Anyway, I am now considering getting a Coolsat 8100HD. It has a built-in DVB-S2 tuner. No blind-scan but I guess I can just enter the transponder info manually from Lyngsat.

So who should I buy a Coolsat 8100HD from? (Sadoun and SatelliteAV dont carry it).

Last edited:
As long as the NBC channels are 4:2:0 then the Pansat 9200 would be one box that will do what you want. I have the Pansat so I know the blind scan works good on DVB S
According to an earlier post here from Tron, the Pansat 9200 needs an expensive add-in card to do DVB-S2 and had other problems.

Someone else in another thread suggested the Captive Works 4000. I wasn't able to find a review on that receiver.

According to an earlier post here from Tron, the Pansat 9200 needs an expensive add-in card to do DVB-S2 and had other problems.

Someone else in another thread suggested the Captive Works 4000. I wasn't able to find a review on that receiver.

You can get the Pansat for $439 with the add in installed. You might be able to get the Coolsat cheaper if you can live without the blind scan. I don't have one so I can't tell you anything about the coolsat.

You can get the Pansat for $439 with the add in installed. You might be able to get the Coolsat cheaper if you can live without the blind scan. I don't have one so I can't tell you anything about the coolsat.
Which dealer has the 9200+add in for $439?

POP

interesting considering you ordered form them FOUR times and apparently have had issues all the times....maybe your wife is right :rolleyes:

(putting on mod hat)
and as for the "Scott wants money more than integrity" line that is the biggest line of crap I have ever heard. Do you realize how many sponsors Scott turns down daily because they don't fit the bill of what we want as a sponsor? What would you like? Some sponsor who doesn't help the customer when there is issues? I guess then that would be the concept of "taking money over integrity". (taking mod hat off)

This is just my opinion as a member here and not staff

Maybe there have been some issues for some people. Heck I think ANY company has issues. But I can vouch for gosatellite. I have ordered the following receivers from them over 3+ years..the bold ones are still in my possession.
Coolsat 4000 (got rid of when I upgraded to the 5000)
Coolsat 5000
Viewsat VS2000 (sold because of no blind scan)
NeoSat Pro1000 (ditto as the Viewsat)
CaptiveWorks CW-600S
Pansat 3500 (sold but dont remember the reason...)
Pansat 6000 (sold due to too many hiccups)
Coolsat 8000

Every single one of them I received with a week of getting my tracking number. There were delays on 2 from the factory but those were quickly resolved. I think they have a good track record.

I've ordered things from other companies and have had issues. I have ordered things from former sponsors and have been jipped and nothing was done to make it better. That is why they are no longer sponsors here.

I have purchased items from numerous FTA companies and have been shafted way too many times with bad items, long delays when there shouldn't have been and crappy shipping. But all 3 of the FTA gold sponsors. I have had good service with

to the op I am really sorry you have had issues. But I still don't understand why people drop hundreds of dollars on a FTA receiver without doing some research. I'm not blaming you for having issues but I hate to say it that most specs on a receiver chart are usually bunk and unless you have physically tried it you should take everything with a grain of salt. I know that sounds harsh (and sad) but its true.

Take the receivers above these "claimed" blind scan but didnt do anything

Viewsat VS2000
CaptiveWorks CW-600S

Heck the original Coolsat 8000 software they forgot the satellite software (it was OTA only)

The Coolsat 4000/5000 and the Pansats were the only ones that for most part did what they claimed.

after looking at the specs on the gosatellite site I do not see blind scan. Here are the specs
Viewsat Max Technical Specifications:

* Enable to decode QPSK satellite transmissions.
* MPEG2 & DVB-S2 Compliant
* USB 2.0 port
* HDTV, SDTV display support.
* Windows based S/W download program supported
* Teletext close caption.
* Video : HDMI, S-Video, Ypbpr, Composite
* Audio : AC3, SPDIF (Optical)
* Aspect ratio adjustment 4:3 (16/9 crop), 4:3 (16/9 letterbox), 16:9 (4/3 pillar box).
* Output format 1080i, 720P, 576P and 576i. (Europe@50hz)
* User friendly OSD and operation.
* Favorite channel selections.
* S/W upgrade through RS-232 and USB 2.0
* Parental Guide and rating control.
* Picture in Picture support….(Aux input/optional)
* Electronic Program Guide.
* DiSEqC 1.0 & or DiSEqC 1.2
* Terrestrial Tuner

whereas another receiver does list blind scan...this si the Sonicview 360 elite...I snipped it
The SonicView 360 Elite PVR FTA receiver provides standard digital free to air satellite reception for the USA, Canadian, and Caribbean markets.

This is SonicView's newest USB PVR FTA Receiver and it is an amazing looking unit!

* 2 Tuners & Blind Scan Supported
* 3 x USB 2.0 Port for external HDD & USB memory stick
* Dual Recording & Playback simultaneously using External HDD
* Time-Shifting supported using External HDD
* Recording capacity depending external HDD size
* Powerful trick mode supported using external HDD

so I guess you can't say its defective if it didnt show it in the features? Now I do see it says DVB-S2 but is that standard or optional? I know the Pansat 9200 said in the original specs DVB-S2 and PVR capable but they didnt mention you needed a 2nd card in it and PVR was optional after a few software upgrades.

I'm happy you got the receiver sold and I guess we all live and learn :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)