Good FTA HD channels & receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.
does anybody know if the sonicview8000HD is a good box for HD feeds? will it blind scan ok? im lookin to try one out, but i want to check b4 buying

does anybody know if the sonicview8000HD is a good box for HD feeds? will it blind scan ok? im lookin to try one out, but i want to check b4 buying
I'd like to know too. I downloaded the manual from SonicViews website and it is not clear from the manual if blind scan and DVB-S2 are supported.

Frankly, from reading their website and manual I am not impressed. The front page of SonicView's website has some glaring grammar errors like this: 'The Sonicview 8000 HD has exceeding all expectations and is still the best FTA receiver on the market today!' LOL If they are that careless about their website how good can their 8000 HD be?

And the manual has some very poorly phrased sentences and misspellings. Anyway, I can live with a poorly written manual if the receiver itself is OK. I would love to hear from someone who actually owns one.

Last edited:
I think I remember . . .

does anybody know if the sonicview8000HD is a good box for HD feeds?
will it blind scan ok? im lookin to try one out, but i want to check b4 buying
Wise of you to come here and ask.
We do have a member with one, who made some comments on the unit.
I begged for a review, but haven't seen it yet... :D

So blind scan works in the SonicView and DVB-S2 requires a $90 add on card. Total cost for the Sonicview with card is about $440.

Coolsat 8100HD is $349 and no DVB-S2 card is needed, but it doesn't blind scan. Also it sounds like the Coolsat does a better job as a DVR.

I'll probably keep looking for a Coolsat 8100HD.

VSMAXHD

I've received a vsmax from GoSat and I share concerns about the unit. No, it wont blind scan. After upgrading the main software to v1.7, it still wont blind scan, can't add or change names on sats. I can pick up ASN on Anik1 at nearly 98% w/Pansat 2700a, but the VSMAX only shows about 57%. The unit is slow to lock onto signals. Something else I noticed tonight, Viewsat and GoSat say they don't condone the use of third party software, yet in VSHD edit v1.7, I've notice a window advising users they can't change the name in "DN" after downloading. True FTA units dont need third party software, but they do need to be able to blind scan. After spending $300 on the unit, it hurts to find so many bugs in it. Alec

Attachments

• VSHD edit.JPG
    VSHD edit.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 182
So blind scan works in the SonicView and DVB-S2 requires a $90 add on card. Total cost for the Sonicview with card is about $440.

This is not true, "No DVB-S2 with SV8000"

I have had a SV-8000 since April of 2007 an very nice receiver, but no S2, with it at all. an that add on board is ONLY for the eye patch gang, turbo-8 not S2.

blind scan with the SV is not bad, misses some, an also get double channels, so I would say it works, but fair. but if you use it for a pvr, this receiver is great, an I don't care what it is set to record if it is a SR of5,000, 15,000 or 33,000, or for OTA, it is bullet proof on being a pvr. now they are picky about the hard drive that you may be using, but their are knowen HD that work great with it, an also some HD maintence from time but this is true with any pvr receiver.

Coolsat 8100HD is $349 and no DVB-S2 card is needed, but it doesn't blind scan. Also it sounds like the Coolsat does a better job as a DVR.

I'll probably keep looking for a Coolsat 8100HD.

The Collsat 8100 will get the S2 stations but only for a few minutes at a time. It has the nasty habit of rebooting itself and crashing after a few minutes of viewing a S2 sation and when it does have them come in it puts up a weird interference pattern.

The Collsat 8100 will get the S2 stations but only for a few minutes at a time. It has the nasty habit of rebooting itself and crashing after a few minutes of viewing a S2 sation and when it does have them come in it puts up a weird interference pattern.
Do you think this is just a problem with your 8100 or are they all like this (buggy software)?

weird

I watch LPB on AMC21 and NBC on AMC1 and havent had the rebooting issues that you mention...watched NBC yesterday for a good 2 hours and no reboots

I have the 8000

I've received a vsmax from GoSat and I share concerns about the unit. No, it wont blind scan. After upgrading the main software to v1.7, it still wont blind scan, can't add or change names on sats. I can pick up ASN on Anik1 at nearly 98% w/Pansat 2700a, but the VSMAX only shows about 57%. The unit is slow to lock onto signals. Something else I noticed tonight, Viewsat and GoSat say they don't condone the use of third party software, yet in VSHD edit v1.7, I've notice a window advising users they can't change the name in "DN" after downloading. True FTA units dont need third party software, but they do need to be able to blind scan. After spending $300 on the unit, it hurts to find so many bugs in it. Alec
You might be able to negotiate a return with Go Satellite. After posting my experience here they offered to refund part of the purchase price (about $250). But I sold it on eBay so I wouldn't have to pay return shipping to Canada.

I have never seen any type of problem like that with my CS8000. I, too, watch the NBC DVB-s2 for quite awhile, as well as LPB on AMC21 and occasional DVB-s2 feeds. I would be inclined to "factory default" the box. Run the "Clear HD" software, and reload the latest factory , and start over. ( I do that quite a lot, I experiment sometimes and get it all messed up ) :)

:(

weird

I watch LPB on AMC21 and NBC on AMC1 and havent had the rebooting issues that you mention...watched NBC yesterday for a good 2 hours and no reboots

I have the 8000
Same here- my 8000 has no trouble with those feeds. :):up

VSMAXHD

Brettbolt, thanks, I'll keep the ebay option in mind. Alec

The Coolsat 8100 will get the S2 stations but only for a few minutes at a time. It has the nasty habit of rebooting itself and crashing after a few minutes of viewing a S2 sation and when it does have them come in it puts up a weird interference pattern.
Is there anyone else here besides adm22 who has a CS 8100 with this problem?

Thanks to all who confirmed that the 8000 doesn't have this issue, but the 8100 has different software and the added complexity of a DVR.

other than the PVR option its the same receiver ;)
(so probably the same base setup of the software)

Is there anyone else here besides adm22 who has a CS 8100 with this problem?

Thanks to all who confirmed that the 8000 doesn't have this issue, but the 8100 has different software and the added complexity of a DVR.

I've never had this problem with my CS8100. Maybe his fan is not working? The 8100 definitely has a distinctive fan noise (when the TV is muted), so it should be easy to tell if it is spinning.

I have not been using DVB-S2/8PSK all that much recently, but definitely haven't seen any reboots in the hours I have used 8PSK. I have used it for a ton of QPSK with no issues.

Ok, I tested an 8PSK DVB-S2 transponder that I only get 17% quality on. It won't really lock on my CS8100, but with the few flashes where it locks, I have seen the horizontal pattern adm22 might be talking about. So I'm guessing if his system is not overheating it is probably low signal quality.

VSMAXHD

I noticed today that some web sites removed any claims that this unit can blind scan. The "read me" text with the latest (v1.7) software says that improvements in "bind scan" were improved, so reinstalled v1.4, thinking that updates may have screwed things up. I tried scanning with new install on unused sat, deleted TPs, and tried numerous LNB configs. on AMC4 and G11. Some indications of success, but nothing encouraging. I've had a dish pointed at Echo1 @ 148deg. w/circular LNB, can catch some occasional ITC. I tried the blind scan on this sat and it scanned like a champ !!! It logged all the TPS and channels no prob.. It becomes more clear what market this box is geared for ! My question is, can I mod the linear LNBs to help this thing blind scan, like placing a dielectric in them. I've seen that the circular LNBs have a ceramic capacitor in them, so maybe a linear mod won't work. Any ideas? Some of you with the other receivers might try a blind scan on Echo1 and see what results you find. Thanks, Alec

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)