Good grief I hate the new info bar on channel change!

jcarrera

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 15, 2006
Florida
Good grief I hate the new info bar on channel change!

I ****HATE***** IT.

The color and font and size make it FARRRRRRRRR harder to read than before.

FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL. I ****HATE***** IT.

(opinion)

I have to add to this after looking at the guide as well...

It isn't quite as bad as the channel info bar, but still is a HUGE step backward. Please tell the name of the idiot that selected a dark gray font on black background for the program description? It also is the font for the channel name and number in the info bar. The blue on black for the title is one of the least readable combinations possible.

It is just a disaster from A to Z. Highly disappointed. But I suspect you won't fix it because that would mean admitting it was a bad move, and no company ever wants to do that.

What is worse, on the info bar, there is plenty of room for the font to have been bigger. Who does these things and is there no review/approval process? But I know the answer...it is all done by 20-somethings who have fantastic eyesight, and do not think about anyone else.

Last edited:
AND ***MANY*** channels now are showing letterboxed on my 4:3 TV!
Thanks for taking away 25% of my TV screen. Do I get a 25% reduction in my bill since I am getting 25% less video?

I cannot tell you how disgusted I am with this change, but you are probably beginning to get an idea about now.

Interpret this as a scream ----> !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LATER: I just love watching this tiny TV BHN has swapped for mine. NOT.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! again

Somebody please tell me if Dish or Direct shows as letterboxed on 4:3 TV if the show is in SD and HD.

Last edited:
hmm I have not noticed any change to my guide.. and certainly no problem with my TV image size. Maybe Tampa got an update Orlando did not get yet.

You can use the # button on your remote to adjust the image size.

hmm I have not noticed any change to my guide.. and certainly no problem with my TV image size. Maybe Tampa got an update Orlando did not get yet.

My guide is the same as it has been but it does suck. They need to give us the option to run a full screen guide without wasted space and preview video on the screen.

Thanks for taking away 25% of my TV screen. Do I get a 25% reduction in my bill since I am getting 25% less video?

I cannot tell you how disgusted I am with this change, but you are probably beginning to get an idea about now.

Interpret this as a scream ----> !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Somebody please tell me if Dish or Direct shows as letterboxed on 4:3 TV if the show is in SD and HD.

Please reboot your box :)

HTML:

It will get to you....updating in groups and it depends on which box you have.

Yes this model has an SD guide which does not stretch. The Samsungs models are SD as well but do stretch.

They really need to upgrade the software to make the programming guide more user friendly and easier to read. Just coming from being a Dish customer for many years and their excellent DVR software, it is rather a let down to see BH hasn't developed a good DVR programming guide.

Please reboot your box :)

I did not reboot, but next day, the number of letterboxed channels was much reduced--probably back to the same ones as before the update. Appears that something was just scrambled that fixed itself.

I still do not like the guide and info strips though; readability has been significantly reduced...font sizes and colors.

Bright Houses/TimeWarners software has been the worst in the industry no doubt. They are stuck in 1999 when most people are moving toward 2013. I mean its just horrid, what idiots make the interface for this equipment? Who do they have programming this stuff? They took it "in house" so they could build their own modular system that was better then the old stuff and instead have done nothing to make it better. Time to spend some real money on real programmers and get this fixed.

Id say its probably the last issue with BHN being the perfect provider.

Bright House offers high quality HD and the best selection of HD channels I have seen, compared to Dish. The DVR programming guide is the only thing about BH which is a disappointment for me.

Everyone needs to keep requesting better DVR software. When I had BH installed 2 weeks ago thats the first thing I did. When the installer showed me how to use the DVR I asked how to adjust the guide and he said "yeah, you can't and believe me everyone asks about this". After the installer left I noticed the movie channels I ordered weren't working so I called in and they added them and I asked the rep how to fix the guide and he said sorry you can't and it's something they get a lot of complaints about but no change coming as far as he knew. If many customers are asking for a better guide I don't understand why they aren't working towards getting us one.

Okay I just received this email from BH:

Hello Friend,
We’re making changes to the on-screen guide that will make it more attractive, more user-friendly, and more convenient for you to find the shows you’re looking for.

Here’s a glance at what you can expect with the new Guide:

• A sleek, new look! The new Guide will have a sharp black background, making show titles and categories easier to read.
  • “Access Menu” will become “Main Menu” and will feature new categories to help you in your search:
    o Live TV
    o DVR
    o On Demand
    o Settings
  • “Find Shows” will become “Search”
  • “Show List” will become “DVR”
Please note: For the first 24 hours after your guide is upgraded, you may notice an error message in the corner of your Guide display. This is only temporary and will be corrected within 48 hours. It does not affect the operation of the guide or the remote.

The picture of the new guide looks just as poorly laid out as the current guide. They just changed some colors. Preview video still takes up the top right of the screen and a great deal of wasted blank space while they only display the guide for 5 channels. Unless they give us the option to change to a full screen guide then the person that developed this has no clue what he/she is doing in regards to making a user friendly and easy to read guide. Very disappointing.

"...will have a sharp black background, making show titles and categories easier to read."

What a joke. You note that they seem to believe that making the background black does the deed. No mention of font size or font color, both of which they totally missed the boat on (opinion). Dark gray small font on black background IS NOT EASIER TO READ.

Most maddening is that there is space there to easily have done a larger font. And there seems to be some "rule" in display design that you never use white font--that would open you to charges of not having any creativity in you, even though it might be the most legible 'color' to use.

I don't know who is doing the programming for these interfaces, or who sets the design criteria for the programmers, but they are very much missing the target.

I woke up this morning, turn on the DVR and there it is. New programming guide from hell. If you thought the old guide was bad, wait until you see this one folks. Whoever developed this new version needs to be fired. I just emailed a complaint to BH support. I encourage everyone which is disappointed with the new guide to let BH know how you feel about it. They had the opportunity to upgrade us to a better, user friendly programming guide and blew it. We got a downgrade instead.

Got the new guides on both of my Home DVRs a few weeks ago... Has anyone had any issues recording or watching recorded shows? I have two issues that i have run into since the new update:
1) Main House DVR in Living Room some times will not play back shows recorded on this DVR. They show up on the list and show the full record length, but when you try to play it it flashes and then returns to whatever channel we were on when we tried to start the recording. Even after power cycling, still will not play on the same DVR. Tried them in the second House DVR and they do not even appear on the list (other shows that work fine appear, just not that specific one).

2) When trying to watch shows on my Main DVR that were recorded on the second DVR, at random time frames, the connection between the two boxes drops. The show gives an error and the DVR's other recordings are no longer listed. They play fine on the second DVR. If we wait a few hours, the connection is restored, but some times we have to power cycle both DVRs for the connection to be restored.

Could this be related to the recent firmware update or is it coincidence that both of these issues started the same weekend?

A couple things I have encountered since the new software is the DVR keeps recording Survivor: Phillipines but I haven't set up a timer for it or any other show on that day and time. I have to keep deleting it. Also I have timers set to record a show and it doesn't. Fortunately what has been missed has been available on primetime demand so no loss.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts